DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap custom made search and rescue drone

Former Member

Reactions
I was going to wait until June 8 to show this to everyone, but I might not have another spare minute between now and then.

I designed it myself for search and rescue ops..

In SAR, an Inspire 2 or something with a flight camera as well as a VO camera comes in handy.

This drone has one 4 axis 4k gimbal and a second gyro stabilized gimbal that is operated by a VO or copilot.

More pictures and video after my wife lets me out of my honeydo list.

4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 312
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
I was going to wait until June 8 to show this to everyone, but I might not have another spare minute between now and then.

I nicknamed it the "Spavic." I designed it myself for search and rescue ops..

In SAR, an Inspire 2 or something with a flight camera as well as a VO camera comes in handy.

This drone has one 4 axis 4k gimbal and a second gyro stabilized gimbal that is operated by a VO or copilot.

More pictures and video after my wife lets me out of my honeydo list.

View attachment 73944View attachment 73945View attachment 73946View attachment 73947
I get it Rob, but the Pics are a bit dark. Can we see it from the bottom? Curious as to how you mounted it.

Reactions: Former Member
Nice concept! I know it would add a lot to the cost but an IR camera would be a plus for SAR.

Reactions: charliesRig
Nice concept! I know it would add a lot to the cost but an IR camera would be a plus for SAR.

By the time this one is done it will have 2 gyro stabilized gimbals plus a FLIR. My feelings about the lower end FLIRS is that as good as they are, as in the M2ED, bosons are more expensive but might be worth it.

BTW, the M2 is a workhorse. Probably be the go to machine for SAR for years to come.

June 8 at Acworth Beach... this is one of a few new products this year.

Reactions: RCdancer
By the time this one is done it will have 2 gyro stabilized gimbals plus a FLIR. My feelings about the lower end FLIRS is that as good as they are, as in the M2ED, bosons are more expensive but might be worth it.

From the demos I've seen, the FLIR on the M2 Enterprise is not that great for SAR ops. Res is way too low. Looks like a bad 1980's music video effect. Honestly think the M2 Ent Zoom with the Searchlight is more useful.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
From the demos I've seen, the FLIR on the M2 Enterprise is not that great for SAR ops. Res is way too low. Looks like a bad 1980's music video effect. Honestly think the M2 Ent Zoom with the Searchlight is more useful.

What would your recommendation be for a FLIR on a drone as an aftermarket accessory?

What would your recommendation be for a FLIR on a drone as an aftermarket accessory?
For serious work:
- FLIR VUE Pro 336x256 or 640x512
- FLIR DUO PRO 336 or better a 640x512

It's only depending on your budget...

It always comes down to how much you (or your client) are willing to spend and what you can get to fly friendly with the Mavic (or whatever drone you're mounting it too). I'm sure the FLIR footage I'm seeing from police helicopters are out-of-sight big and heavy and expensive.

But I think your onto something with the M2 being used for SAR ops. I'm interested to see how you handled the image transmission for the aux cam. Cool stuff! Keep us updated. I wouldn't be hating some video of the test flights! :)

I like the red lasers on it! :). Cheap is good, more teams can afford that with personal funds and tight budgets, and a tendency of having to fly in drone-unfriendly terrain. Nice work!

It always comes down to how much you (or your client) are willing to spend and what you can get to fly friendly with the Mavic (or whatever drone you're mounting it too). I'm sure the FLIR footage I'm seeing from police helicopters are out-of-sight big and heavy and expensive.

But I think your onto something with the M2 being used for SAR ops. I'm interested to see how you handled the image transmission for the aux cam. Cool stuff! Keep us updated. I wouldn't be hating some video of the test flights! :)
Im working on the video. It's funny that I yell at everyone for shooting too much but I did the same thing. To edit 5 minutes worth of aerial footage took 9 hours.

Reactions: LeeMc
I live in Bullhead City Arizona (right at the tip of Nevada) and in June, July and August the daytime temperatures are almost always over 105 during the daytime and frequently over 105 - 110. (BUT IT IS A DRY HEAT o_O )

Flying in those conditions when it is most needed is next to impossible If the AC went up I would ask if the IR would detect an individual? Nighttime temperatures are most usually 90+. Without water, a lost individual becomes a recovery very fast.

There is an interest in our local SAR about using drones and I am working on my 107 as fast as I can but. . .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661