DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Check Your Gimbal

Well, suggestion.... Unsrew it... Add a drop of threadbond tobthe screw and scew it back in. It wont come out and it wont be over tight. In general the way engineering works is that cracks dont just appear from an over tightened screw. It usually another problem brewing

Could it be that incorrect fitting of the gimbal clamp can also cause this? In the video and the picture he added to the forms, he had it incorrectly fitte. It was seated behind the gimbal.
I do think it was from an over-torqued screw but maybe that exacerbated it.

I noticed that also in his video and wondered the same thing . I've got to where I hold my gimbal straight as I put the clamp back on as it is easy to get it misaligned . Isn't this just a cover plate anyway ? I'll have to look this evening but I don't think I'd worry about it other than being careful you put the clamp back on properly .

Seems like this is becoming an epidemic.

Any ideas, are the screws being tightened too much at the factory?
Should we loosen them up a bit?

I checked it. everything ok.

I very liked the guy's voice :D. thank you Rob!

The part that is cracked on mine appears to be a cover that protects the wires and mechanism underneath. It flexes VERY easily. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a silvery plastic material.

I doubt these cracks are just appearing... My suspicion is they are from the factory, probably as a result of over tightening the screw, and people just don't notice them at first. If your's isn't cracked, your probably good. If it is cracked, its probably been that way since day 1.

I noticed that also in his video and wondered the same thing . I've got to where I hold my gimbal straight as I put the clamp back on as it is easy to get it misaligned . Isn't this just a cover plate anyway ? I'll have to look this evening but I don't think I'd worry about it other than being careful you put the clamp back on properly .
It looks like it is a one-peice and pressure from the incorrectly fitted clamp behind the plate/disc made it worse. Just a guess, but it's the same part.

Stress fractures of course may grow larger over time and eventually cause the entire part to fail. Probably best to have it replaced.

View attachment 7967

My 3 week old Mavic. And my Phantom 3 is also in for repair after dropping from the sky after a firmware update.

are you used your mavic in cold weather? not an extreme cold, just cold (0 or under 0 celsius). I think these problems because the thermal expansion coefficient. maybe. I don' know...

(sorry for my bad english!)

Never been flown in the cold. Never crashed, not even a hard landing on a hard surface. Just a couple of flimsy plastic shields secured with screws that have been over torqued. A couple of candidates for some 3D printing I think.
I've waited since the beginning of October for this drone, it arrived at the end of January and so far has flown correctly. I've just put a Dronewrap skin on. So there is no way it's going back to DJI to be swapped for someone else's mistreated refurbished drone.

I have small hairline crack..barely noticeable but its there , not sure if I should notify DJI or just leave it..since everything else works great...what do you guys think

Attachments

• 846ECC88-3512-4FC3-BA4F-4A14DE0E8216.JPG
    846ECC88-3512-4FC3-BA4F-4A14DE0E8216.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 93
I have small hairline crack..barely noticeable but its there , not sure if I should notify DJI or just leave it..since everything else works great...what do you guys think
If I were you, I'd leave well enough alone. You may get a refurbished dud if you send it back, and I highly doubt that's going to cause any issues.

Reactions: Ausdrone
I have found a tiny stress crack around a screw on the gimbal bracket (the part that does not move). It is very small, and I'm not really worrying about it. But ... I am going to fix the crack with a tiny amount of UV Bondic glue. It would probably NEVER give me any issue but I'm going to take care of it myself. Warranty be damned!

If I were you, I'd leave well enough alone. You may get a refurbished dud if you send it back, and I highly doubt that's going to cause any issues.
Yup I agree, also doens't seem to be that nasty of a crack,

The hairline crack might lead to a larger crack but not a crash and very unlikely the whole camera would fall off. If that ever did happen, which I'll bet it never will, then it would be covered under warranty and you'd be going through the same process as your considering now but based on a real, not anticipated, problem.

The hairline crack might lead to a larger crack but not a crash and very unlikely the whole camera would fall off. If that ever did happen, which I'll bet it never will, then it would be covered under warranty and you'd be going through the same process as your considering now but based on a real, not anticipated, problem.
I hope it deosn't get any bigger as there is no stress on that part of the gimbal, maybe changes in temperature if I decide to fly in the cold it might...but I think for now I'm just going to keep an eye on it..thanks

I have found a tiny stress crack around a screw on the gimbal bracket (the part that does not move). It is very small, and I'm not really worrying about it. But ... I am going to fix the crack with a tiny amount of UV Bondic glue. It would probably NEVER give me any issue but I'm going to take care of it myself. Warranty be damned!
I'd just leave it alone... I'm guessing these little cracks are from the factory and people are just not noticing them until later on. I highly doubt it will get any worse or cause any issues. Trying to glue it will void your warranty if a more serious problem develops.

I'd just leave it alone... I'm guessing these little cracks are from the factory and people are just not noticing them until later on. I highly doubt it will get any worse or cause any issues. Trying to glue it will void your warranty if a more serious problem develops.
I agree, I'm leaving it alone..and yes for sure they are from the factory, little too much pressure on screws..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54