DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Chile Video 32 minutes

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Please enjoy this 32 minute video when you have the time, and relax with your favored beverage.

This trip was taken after covid lockdowns in the USA, but the government of Chile was still very strict about covid vaccine verifications and masking. We did not think we were going to receive our treasured C-19 pass and vaccine pass until the very last minute and we were on the verge of canceling. In addition, the trip was supposed to be to two destinations. Firstly, the Atacama Desert, the highest and driest place in the world, featuring absence of light pollution and extremely dark skies for astrophotography. Secondly, we were supposed to include Easter Island, owned by the country of Chile, but the island remained closed due to covid and we had to find an alternative place to visit. We chose Chiloé Island and Tierra Chiloé Hotel & Spa. The video features visits to both The Atacama Desert and Explora Atacama Lodge and then Chiloé Island and Tierra Chiloé Hotel & Spa.

Touring of Santiago, Chile, a winery (Casablanca) and the beautiful city of Valparaiso completed the itinerary.

The video features a multi-media approach, using still and video photography. Here are the technical details;
137 GB of Assets , 31 days of editing
2 Nikon D750 bodies with 2 Nikkor 28-300mm lenses, f/3.5-5.6
DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone for both stills and video
DJI Osmo Action camera (like a Go Pro)
DJI Osmo OM4 gimbal using an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max
DJI Osmo Pocket video and still camera,+Really Right Stuff tripod
Software and editing-using Apple i MAC, Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CC2022, and Adobe Premiere Pro video editing. Also, LRLightroom for timelapses.

You are encouraged to view full screen! Enjoy. Comments welcomed.

Last edited:
Dale,

This is a wonderful travelogue. I love the mix of different video, photos and aerial footage. It must have been a wonderful trip. I hope to make it to the Atacama Desert someday so I can see that amazing nighttime sky!

Thanks for Sharing!
Scott

Dale,

This is a wonderful travelogue. I love the mix of different video, photos and aerial footage. It must have been a wonderful trip. I hope to make it to the Atacama Desert someday so I can see that amazing nighttime sky!

Thanks for Sharing!
Scott
Thanks Scott for the positive comments. Once in a while you simply cannot just do a 3 minute video that involves 3 weeks of travel and tons of material. So I decided to make it as tight as I could. I left a lot of great stuff on the cutting room floor, so to speak.

Dale

Hi Dale,
Please detail your techniques for shooting the night-time time lapse. Exposure time, time intervals, etc.
Thanks.

Hi Dale,
Please detail your techniques for shooting the night-time time lapse. Exposure time, time intervals, etc.
Thanks.
1. DSLR with built in intervalometer
fast lens
Sturdy tripod
I used the Nikon D750 with the 14-28 mm f/2.8 lens set at 14mm and f/2.8

2. with "live view" screen, find a bright star, magnify it with the + sign to max and manually focus on that star
3. after focus has been obtained, take a test shot to assure yourself the star is in focus, then disable the focus and avoid touching the lens.
4. take repeated test shots for exposure trying to minimize the ISO to avoid tailing of stars due to earth movement). I set the lens at f/2.8, 14 mm, and start testing at about ISO 12,000. After each test shot, review the image. When you have the correct ISO, f stop and shutter speed you are ready to start the shoot. Re-compose your picture for desired composition. I try to include a bit of landscape for perspective, or shoot straight at the Milky Way.The timelapse you saw was a shutter speed of 15 seconds, F/2.8, ISO 1250. Try to stay under 30 seconds to avoid trailing.
5. time lapse- set the interval to 15 seconds- e.g.: take an image every 15 seconds, or 4 shots per minute.
4 shots per minute=4 x 60=240 shots per hour. I shot for about 2 hours, or 480 shots.
6. Process timelapse with Lightroom and LRTimelapse software. (www.LRTimelapse.com).
7. warm clothes and liquid may be necessary

There are many, many YouTube's on this.
It goes without saying that you want to schedule your shoot at or near the new moon. See your moon calendar for best time of the month. Prefer area with no, or little light pollution (ergo- Atacama Desert!). Go westward to Clear Creek Canyon Park and way off of the road. Avoid headlights and roadways. If you are really interested, purchase and learn the app PhotoPills. www.photopills.com

Happy to answer any questions.

Dale

Thanks for sharing. I thought it looked like a very nice vacation. I liked all the hyperlapse videos. And those strawberries looked delicious and cheap!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I thought it looked like a very nice vacation. I liked all the hyperlapse videos.
Thank you. Actually, there were not hyperlapses, but they were timelapse. (In hyperlapse, the camera is moving).Here the timelapses were all done on a tripod, and the camera was not moving.

Chile is a beautiful place to visit- great people, scenery is spectacular (think about Patagonia), and th food is wonderful.

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J