DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choppy video- feedback please

mr.jipi_

Reactions
Good Evening,

I’m in the field, far from home with only a laptop. I’ve been a cameraman for more than 10 years but the drone world is still new to me.

I’ve shot a few clips on a trip for a documentary, but watching all of them I seem to be experiencing “stuttering” issue. I know about the 180 degree rules, and I’m aware that fast movement in 24p can look bad if too quick… Still, I would love to get a second opinion. It might just be my playback here, but I’d like to get feedback from some pro-users. I’m not talking quality of the shots, they are not great, I just want to know if the smoothness of the video seems OK to your eyes. Is it choppy ?

Everything is shot a 24 fps, 1/50s. The memory card is a SanDisk Extreme V30 (3) u2.

You can download some clips from my GDrive here (Online playback is available but obviously, you need to download to judge): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Tlr7Z9sc7hwUkR-LoXGYmmC4NxeDfq2L?usp=sharing

Thank you very much for your help.

Good Evening,

I’m in the field, far from home with only a laptop. I’ve been a cameraman for more than 10 years but the drone world is still new to me.

I’ve shot a few clips on a trip for a documentary, but watching all of them I seem to be experiencing “stuttering” issue. I know about the 180 degree rules, and I’m aware that fast movement in 24p can look bad if too quick… Still, I would love to get a second opinion. It might just be my playback here, but I’d like to get feedback from some pro-users. I’m not talking quality of the shots, they are not great, I just want to know if the smoothness of the video seems OK to your eyes. Is it choppy ?

Everything is shot a 24 fps, 1/50s. The memory card is a SanDisk Extreme V30 (3) u2.

You can download some clips from my GDrive here (Online playback is available but obviously, you need to download to judge): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Tlr7Z9sc7hwUkR-LoXGYmmC4NxeDfq2L?usp=sharing

Thank you very much for your help.

Overall looks good, I found it smooth, you flying was not as smooth as it could be for video but its not choppy.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Float on water.

Overall looks good, I found it smooth, you flying was not as smooth as it could be for video but its not choppy.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Float on water.
Thanks for the feedback Phantomrain, this is reassuring! Did you get a chance to download one of them ? I chose randomly around dozens of clips (80% of the clips seemed to have less than perfect (good) playback on my MacBook pro 2015, even if transcoded in h264)... So I made sure some of them were "on the edge" or not very "smooth" from the get go. Thanks for your help and excuse my French.

The videos are not choppy, maybe the laptop can't handle the playback

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Don't worry about the clips. They seem fine. I know what it is to be new to flying. It takes some hours for it to be second nature so that the cameraman in you can visualize the images and your hands will make your brain fly the drone where it needs to go to get what you see in your head. It's tough enough to be a cameraman, let alone a cameraman AND pilot, let alone a pilot in training. You'll find that you can cover a lot of flying errors with judicious clip trimming. Just shoot enough film to have it covered and don't be afraid too do multiple takes that you can piece together later in post.

Reactions: mr.jipi_
As is typical with these posts, it seems that the laptop is underpowered for playback of 4K. It's especially difficult if you've recorded in h.265, which is a stronger compression than h.264 and requires more horsepower.

Search these boards for threads, there's lots of advice on what computer components you need for good 4K playback (not to mention editing), which include a fast CPU and GPU, plenty of both main and video memory, and fast SSD hard drives. Some video cards have a GPU that is designed to handle h.265 and if you don't have one of those, it will do the decompression more slowly.

For now, you can try VLC, which is a free playback app that works better than most others:

Chris

Reactions: mr.jipi_
As is typical with these posts, it seems that the laptop is underpowered for playback of 4K. It's especially difficult if you've recorded in h.265, which is a stronger compression than h.264 and requires more horsepower.

Search these boards for threads, there's lots of advice on what computer components you need for good 4K playback (not to mention editing), which include a fast CPU and GPU, plenty of both main and video memory, and fast SSD hard drives. Some video cards have a GPU that is designed to handle h.265
Chris

Im aware of this thank you. I’ll get to the bottom of it when I’ll get back to the editing studio next week. But I still had the feeling the video was a bit sluggish even when transcoded to HD ProRes LT. I might be looking too closely at the footage... Any how it is reassuring that you guys think it’s fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa