DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choppy video

Reactions
Hey,

Im new to the forum and new to drones in general so you will have to bare with me.

Im having some issues with choppy video playback from my M2Z. I have played around with the settings before each flight but I can't seem to figure it out. I have it set to h264, normal colour, 4k 30FPS. I understand the h265 is CPU hungry but h264 I would expect to playback without an issue. Here is clip from one of the videos. Im standing in the gravel area behind the blue car as the drone flies backwards. There was a bit of wind but i was standing no more than 50m away. I thought the video wouldn't be affected especially since it records to the SD card. Can wind caused video playback to be choppy? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Any help would appreciated :)

Link to clip

Hi There - first thing to confirm ... Are you using a micro-SD card that is UHS Speed rated 'U3' ??? If you are using a card that doesn't have a U number, or is U1, then you could be dropping frames due to the card not being able to sustain the write speed needed for HD video. You need a card with the U3 logo like this:

ScanDisk-Extreme-Pro-microSD-press.jpg

UHS speed class 3 cards are able to sustain a minimum write speed of 30MB/s
[ U1 and (10) rated card are only able to sustain 10MB/s ...]

Sorry, yes. I should have included that info. Im using a 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro U3. The same one in the picture actually.

Hmmm - That's a bit strange, because this is definitely a frame drop issue and not a physical movement (i.e. can't blame the wind!). Unless there is a loose connection to the gimbal mount/camera? Do you get the same problem if you just hover the Mav' and let it vid'??
Wise decision regarding h.265, as that has been causing loads of grief for all but those who got brand new PC's for Christmas!
Did you format the SD card from the Go 4 app?

Thanks for confirming. Gimbal seems fine to look at but then I wouldn't really know what to look for. Yeah same problem with hoovering. I have another clip where the drone is turning 360 while hoovering and you can see the same issue with frames dropping. Yeah I format the card through the app. I formatted it before that flight.

Link

Wise decision regarding h.265, as that has been causing loads of grief for all but those who got brand new PC's for Christmas!

My 2014 MacBook Pro nearly blew up trying to playback h265 lol. I can use proxy media on FCPX but I still don't like the sounds it makes.

Have you chatted to DJI about it? I have DJI refresh but the drone is only a few weeks old. After looking back at other footage it seems iv had this problem on all flights

Sorry, yes. I should have included that info. Im using a 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro U3. The same one in the picture actually.

Where did you purchase the card? There are app (android and probably apple) and win programs that can check if the card is legitimate.

I ran speed tests using Blackmagic Disk Speed. The results are showing about 12mb read and 18mb write. Both SD cards showed the same speeds so I checked the BM forums, it looks like the BM app isn't working correctly with SanDisk Extreme Pros cards at the mo. Im currently running another test now on sdspeeds but it looks like its going to take a few hours.

I managed to get out today to test different settings. I noticed the camera angle dropped down during filming. I didn't hit any controls and its not a tilt its an actually drop down in position.

Here are the results:

Internal Storage
1080p 60fps h264 - Couldn’t see any issues

4k 30fps h264 - Choppy video and gimbal drops

Sd Card
1080p 60fps - Choppy video and gimbal drops

2.7k 50fps h264 - Choppy video

4k 30fps h264 - Choppy video and gimbal drops

There are some dropped frames but not nearly as bad as the SD card footage. If you put it on 2x you'll see it. Theres also a drop down in the angle while the drone turns right. Any idea what that might be?

Iv emailed SanDisk but I probably won't here back for a few days. Is there any other way of checking if they're counterfeit? I checked the packaging and print but all looks ok

EDIT** maybe not dropped frames but it stutters as it turns right

Last edited:
Could that have to do with what you shot it in and editied it i... FPS?

Yeah I thought it might be that but iv checked the footage directly from the Go4app and I can see the issue there. Im using Final Cut Pro for editing but im only cutting up the video and exporting in the same settings.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter