DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CIFT will be obsolete

MAvic_South_Oz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Sorry if this is widely known, I just get the updates and I think they are a bit slow compared to the website updates, so some may have already seen or know of this . . .

In the coming weeks CASA will retire Can I Fly There and introduce a new app for drone flyers.

The unlocking of safe airspace within 3NM of controlled airports is interesting.
Something like the US laanc system, but at the moment not available to US hobbyists.

Other advantages with the new system on that page.

Interesting times coming.

i like the sound of the direction its heading. In theory that is. I hope they dont screw it up

i like the sound of the direction its heading. In theory that is. I hope they dont screw it up

Indeed, it looks like a good step forward for Aussie drone flyers, especially hobbyists.

It'd be nice to have ads-b type of heads up sometime in the future, the app seems to be prepping for that sort of technology.
Of course systems would have to be in small aircraft including helis to be of any great use to hobbyists (and in turn manned aircraft), but worth it if making the skies safer in a more congested airspace.

Hopefully any new system will be dynamic an d recognise that much rrstricred airspace i s not H24. Here in WA there are military areas that are seldom operational yet CIFT shows them as no fly zones

has anyone used the Open Sky app yet? the reviews aren't good. Looks like it's an American company (Wing LLC). They don't endorse that their info is correct, and there is a CASA disclaimer stating it's not approved by CASA and all info is advisory only. So this statement on the app page: "our OpenSky platform empowers you to take flight with confidence" is misleading. I always felt that having the Casa CIFT app gave us that small level of confidence should we ever be approached. perhaps the CIFT app had the same disclaimer?

@geevee, sorry I missed seeing your post.
Not sure about the reviews, but every time I've used it, the app has been working fine, shows same airport zones like CIFT used to.

When I downloaded the app, there was a HUGE disclaimer, about 90 pages long (when downloaded as a pdf) . . . I admit I didn't bother going too far.
I don't understand the bit about not CASA approved . . . it is endorsed by CASA on their website as the app to advise where you can fly.

I never saw a disclaimer as such on the CIFT app, not sure if it's still going . . . most liekly as CASA advisories stated it would run alongside OpenSky while it was being introduced.

I just popped in here to ask if anyone has seen the OpenSky web based format, good for planning at home when researching an area etc.

Move map to place pin in approx location / area, zoom in, tweak location, click on pin to check area status.
Like the app, after sunset it will always show the red X, warning no night flying (when set to Recreational flying).

Well we don't have any choice anyway.

You're right in general.
The other way(s) is very complex, requires airspace charts . . . or accessing AirCheck Australia map / understanding, NAIPS login online to access NOTAMs etc.
OpenSky and CIFT is much more basic and for the layman UAV hobbyist.

You're right in general.
The other way(s) is very complex, requires airspace charts . . . or accessing AirCheck Australia map / understanding, NAIPS login online to access NOTAMs etc.
OpenSky and CIFT is much more basic and for the layman UAV hobbyist.
exactly, for someone like me who flies to take photos of a specific thing, I rarely fly more than 100m away, I really don't need to study charts.

has anyone used the Open Sky app yet? the reviews aren't good. Looks like it's an American company (Wing LLC). They don't endorse that their info is correct, and there is a CASA disclaimer stating it's not approved by CASA and all info is advisory only. So this statement on the app page: "our OpenSky platform empowers you to take flight with confidence" is misleading. I always felt that having the Casa CIFT app gave us that small level of confidence should we ever be approached. perhaps the CIFT app had the same disclaimer?
Got the app. Seems to work fine but can’t say how accurate it is. I have only been flying for a week or so and it’s the only app i have to rely on!!

The CIFT app was a private biz sub contracted to provide the service to casa, but yes it was pretty good for info.
Opensky seems ok.
Not convinced all emergency sites are up there promptly, so common sense needs to be used when planning flights, and a keen eye on surroundings.
I like using the desktop version for pre trip planning, and again before heading out.
If I forget I just have a quick look at the app.

The CIFT app was a private biz sub contracted to provide the service to casa, but yes it was pretty good for info.
Opensky seems ok.
Not convinced all emergency sites are up there promptly, so common sense needs to be used when planning flights, and a keen eye on surroundings.
I like using the desktop version for pre trip planning, and again before heading out.
If I forget I just have a quick look at the app.
My main disappointment is I need to look elsewhere for forecasts

Hmmm, looks like CASA are releasing some new drone apps, yes apps, so more than one . . . THREE in fact !!
One to replace OpenSky, and maybe a weather one, or safety one, who knows until they give more info.

From my newsletter in the email today.

New CASA-verified apps
CASA-verified drone safety apps provide customised location-based information about where you can and can't fly your drone. We’re excited to announce three new drone safety apps are in development for release in the coming weeks. Until then, OpenSky is the first CASA-verified drone safety app to be released and it’s available now. You can download the mobile app from Google Play or the App Store, or use the web-based version.

Reactions: Crash6 and bushie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00