DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clarification on the State Farm discussion. (Argument)

Jr. Stafford

Reactions
Another thread last week on insuring a Mavic with State Farm turned a bit ugly, here is some clarification on the issue.

My State Farm Agent contacted the company yesterday to ask about how 'Personal Article' policies would affect insurance rates in case of a claim, and here is what she learned. (Keep in mind, this is State Farm....other companies may handle it differently.)

Claims on a Personal Article Policy (Mavic), in no way affect other Insurance you may have. (Auto, Homeowners, Medical, ect.) It is a different category than those things. The only thing it will affect is Personal Article Policies. In other words, those kind of claims are reported as part of your insurance rating, but only for the same type of policy. If you apply to State Farm for Mavic insurance, IT WILL affect you if you have have Personal Article claims in the past with another company, but that is the extent of it.

So basically with State Farm, Mavic insurance is an awesome deal, and WILL NOT affect your rating or rates for anything else.

I did start the last one and you are right it did go south as I am sure the nay sayers will speak on this one as well. I was also told the same things when I decided to cancel my Asurion policy. If I wreck it on my own I will pay for it and I am not worried about it. If the drone crashed due to a malfunction then it should be covered under warranty.

My big beef with DJI and Asurion's policy is that it doesn't cover fly aways, theft or water damage. That is the reason I bought the State Farm one.

Reactions: HueJorgan
I wouldn't be so trusting of what one agent told you. After getting the mavic (which i have refresh on), i immediately bought the state farm policy. Since that time, i have forwarded the contact info for the agent that i used in order to help those having problems getting a policy with state farm. All the while, I was closely following all of the info about the state farm policy and its potential downstream implications. First, the points raised made complete common sense to me. Second, after calling the main state farm number several times, random agents confirmed (more than half of the time) that it "may" impact other policies that one may own... for all of the reasons all of the threads have stated. I know that my findings are in no way scientific, but it's just not worth it if there is any chance of a $1K item affecting other major insurance policies that i have in any way. So I canceled my policy. Best to you, though.

Last edited:
Lol, that didn't take long! People are stubborn and non trusting, and you could show them a picture of a Zebra and they would argue it was a painted horse until they passed out. Whatever, I'm keeping my policy and trusting what she tells me.

Reactions: HueJorgan
Lol, that didn't take long! People are stubborn and non trusting, and you could show them a picture of a Zebra and they would argue it was a painted horse until they passed out. Whatever, I'm keeping my policy and trusting what she tells me.
Is the point of this thread for you to belittle anyone who shares a well-meaning opinion that is different than yours?? If so, well done.

Reactions: erkme73
Is the point of this thread for you to belittle anyone who shares a well-meaning opinion that is different than yours?? If so, well done.

The actual purpose was to reassure anyone wanting to use State Farm for their Mavic insurance, that someone had taken the time to research it, and that the State Farm Corporate office says that it won't affect any other insurance that someone has with them......And yes, it's quite frustrating that within minutes, someone has to be negative and try and shoot it down based on 'their opinion' instead of facts. (Shoot it down, might be a bad choice of words on a Drone Forum! ;) )

There are a LOT of people who do NOT have any other SF policy's, so getting one just for the Mavic is a good idea. And what is more likely to happen, crashing it in the water? a fly away? or someone stealing it out of your truck, as happened just recently. All three are not covered by either DJI or Asurion, and they are covered by SF. If you have plenty of spare cash and can afford the loss, then you don't need any insurance at all, but most of us can't drop a grand on toy's or hobby's that often, so the most comprehensive insurance is the best if the price is competitive,

There are a LOT of people who do NOT have any other SF policy's, so getting one just for the Mavic is a good idea. And what is more likely to happen, crashing it in the water? a fly away? or someone stealing it out of your truck, as happened just recently. All three are not covered by either DJI or Asurion, and they are covered by SF. If you have plenty of spare cash and can afford the loss, then you don't need any insurance at all, but most of us can't drop a grand on toy's or hobby's that often, so the most comprehensive insurance is the best if the price is competitive,

Exactly, but you need to be careful with that also. She told me State Farm's policy, but she also gave me a disclaimer that other companies COULD HAVE a different policy. So say you have all of your insurance with Progressive......then you need to find out if a Personal Article claim with State Farm will affect your rating on everything with Progressive. Quite likely it won't, but that would be the question to ask your company.

OK people, lets dial it back a few notches. All Joelb727 said was in his research that there was no definitive answer when talking to several agents (sounds normal) and also, the same company may have different policies and repercussions in different states since all states operate differently. I use St.Farm for everything but I have never had a UAV policy. I may ask them to see what they say.

OK people, lets dial it back a few notches. All Joelb727 said was in his research that there was no definitive answer when talking to several agents (sounds normal) and also, the same company may have different policies and repercussions in different states since all states operate differently. I use St.Farm for everything but I have never had a UAV policy. I may ask them to see what they say.

Understood :). The frustration is that we could all talk to 10 agents and get 10 answers, that's the nature of it. I spoke with basically a lifelong State Farm agent/owner, who wouldn't give her opinion at all, she called the State Farm Corporate office and get the answer from the company. Just trying to help others with this issue, and it's tough when someone else gives an 'opinion' without that level of research.

I have always been a supporter of whatever they say get it in writing. Your reps word over the phone will most of the time mean nothing.

People are always so worried about filing claims with their insurance carrier because it "may" cause their insurance to go up... I've got news for you people, that's what insurance is for. Don't abuse it and you'll be fine. I had a $9k claim for damage to my roof with State Farm last year... you know how much my insurance went up? Zero! Even if your insurance does go up, do you think it's going to go up by +$1k? I doubt it, for a $1k claim that would be ludicrous.

The bottom line is that State Farm is in the business of assessing risk. They have assessed the risk that your $1k policy on your Mavic costs them and they set your premium accordingly. If or when you need to make a claim, the cost of that claim is already factored into (1) your policy, and (2) the policies others took out.

It's not like you file your $1k claim for your Mavic and all of the sudden your homeowners is going to up $10k! Get a grip people. It's the same as a PA policy on a wedding or engagement ring. Are you not going to have you wife's wedding or engagement ring insured because filing a claim MAY make some other policy go up!! Think people!

Reactions: BD0G
Anyone in NJ get a policy through State Farm and can share their agents info? I have called 2 locat agents and was laughed off the phone.

Reactions: markinbright
That-Escalated-Quickly.jpg

Reactions: DVegaman
Since the PA policy on my Mavic is the only policy I have with State Farm, they would have a very difficult time raising my rates. They could always cancel my PA policy after making a claim, but it still would have been the best $60 I ever spent, and it doesn't have the same restrictions as DJI.

Last edited:
Thank you sooo much Kodiak1120. I will call her today.

**Update**Got a quote for $50 as well. Does yours have a deductible? They are quoting me with $250 deductible.

No, $0 deductible... Same price though... I would call back and have them confirm.

Reactions: DVegaman
I had a personal article policy on my wife's diamond ring and while out water skiing she went to hand it to me and it went in the lake. We did a claim on it and got the full replacement value for it. This did not change any of my other policy rates with State Farm. That was 3 years ago and I'm still with state farm.

Reactions: RogCIncy
No, $0 deductible... Same price though... I would call back and have them confirm.
Just confirmed with them. There words were "they will allow no deductible." LOL. Thanks again kodiak. Your saved me a bunch of headaches. My local State farm guys were not being "Like a good neighbor." Your contact State Farm made it very easy.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne