DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clients want to see big drones for there jobs.

People often base judgements on preconceived ideas (prejudices, if you will) and either fail or refuse to understand what they say or or refuse to learn about before making decisions. This happens everywhere. It reminds me of an anecdote of a lady that went into a bar and told the leader of the band to turn down the volume. When he replied that they hadn't even started playing yet she remarked "but it LOOKS loud"... Much of the same can be said about the perception of firearms that provoke people because some models LOOK scary when no more dangerous or lethal than more benign looking models. We drone pilots often get challenged "just because".

If I was in your shoes I don't know that I'd give him a full refund. If I were to refund anything at all, it would be deducting an amount for my prep and travel time... and I would consider that generous. He should have let you do your thing and if he was unhappy (for real reasons about product quality) then a full refund would certainly be in order.
I, for one, fully agree that time and effort + any expense should be deducted from any money paid if a refund was to be made.

Reactions: Anthony Ivory
This past week I had a new client to do some real estate videos and photos of a property here in South Florida.

I took my mavic pro and went ahead and started taking videos and pictures with my mavic pro when the client arrived. The client said good morning and commented (what a cute toy drone) I continue flying taking the pictures and videos and after a few minutes the client returned and asked me if I was taking pictures and video with a toy drone for his job.

I said yes and explained to him that drones have become more high-tech and smaller thanks to technology but the client would not have it.

His comments were he has used other drone professional companies with big drones and powerful lenses that is required for these type of jobs. He also commented that that's a drone he can buy at Best Buy and take pictures himself.

Then he went ahead and told me he was cancelling the service and he wants a full refund and got it his vehicle and drove away without giving me the opportunity to explain or show him any pictures or video of the quality.

It is what it is I give his full refund and Life goes on.
I think that's one person you'll be better off not dealing with.

Reactions: vindibona1
Down here in South Florida Realtors do not want to pay what the value of the service is.

A lot of them are buying their own drones and taking their own pictures and videos without the 107 and I have told a couple of Realtors that it could cost them a headache. And their answer is no one will find out who took the pictures
I would have said, "The FAA will find out when they ask for the source of your video and you are not able to provide a source with the proper licensing (Part 107…)."

The FAA is cracking down on these "for profit" videos, I've seen several YouTuber's videos on the FAA contacting them about their videos even though the videos are free viewing on YouTube, the videos are "monetized;" therefore, each view earns them some income; so they had to get the Part 107…

THE FAA even specifically spells this out on their web page, "Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations" under the heading, "What is a Recreational Flight?, -- Note: Non-recreational purposes include things like taking photos to help sell a property or service,…"

And you can remind them that the fines can exceed their commission on the sale of the property, see the link…

"FAA FINES PHILADELPHIA DRONE PILOT AND YOUTUBER $184,500"
FAA Fines Philadelphia Drone Pilot And Youtuber $184,500 – DroneXL.co

I would have said, "The FAA will find out when they ask for the source of your video and you are not able to provide a source with the proper licensing (Part 107…)."

The FAA is cracking down on these "for profit" videos, I've seen several YouTuber's videos on the FAA contacting them about their videos even though the videos are free viewing on YouTube, the videos are "monetized;" therefore, each view earns them some income; so they had to get the Part 107…

THE FAA even specifically spells this out on their web page, "Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations" under the heading, "What is a Recreational Flight?, -- Note: Non-recreational purposes include things like taking photos to help sell a property or service,…"

And you can remind them that the fines can exceed their commission on the sale of the property, see the link…

"FAA FINES PHILADELPHIA DRONE PILOT AND YOUTUBER $184,500"
FAA Fines Philadelphia Drone Pilot And Youtuber $184,500 – DroneXL.co
Yeah, Mikey and “Stu” - I guess Mikey named Stu (short for Stu-PID) to try and fool the FAA. Didn’t work, but I think he’s worked out an agreement with the FAA. I thought he was annoying when I first watched his channel, but I came to find out that at one time he had weighed almost 500 pounds or so, and this drone hobby got him out of his house and moving and he lost a bunch of weight. It saved his life. He just got carried away with drones and didn’t pay attention to the regulations and it bit him in the ***. So lesson learned. I have a YouTube account that’s probably 11 or 12 years old with maybe a dozen videos on it, none of which are drone footage. My YT is not monetized in any way and sometimes I’ll go months or even years without posting anything, but I still won’t post any of my drone videos because no matter what you post, it’s right there for anyone and everyone to easily scrutinize right, wrong or indifferent. And I just don’t want that hassle. But if any of my family or friends wanted to see some drone footage I’m not against posting to YT because most people are very familiar with it and I’m always within the regulation guidelines.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Yeah, Mikey and “Stu” - I guess Mikey named Stu (short for Stu-PID) to try and fool the FAA. Didn’t work, but I think he’s worked out an agreement with the FAA. I thought he was annoying when I first watched his channel, but I came to find out that at one time he had weighed almost 500 pounds or so, and this drone hobby got him out of his house and moving and he lost a bunch of weight. It saved his life. He just got carried away with drones and didn’t pay attention to the regulations and it bit him in the ***. So lesson learned. I have a YouTube account that’s probably 11 or 12 years old with maybe a dozen videos on it, none of which are drone footage. My YT is not monetized in any way and sometimes I’ll go months or even years without posting anything, but I still won’t post any of my drone videos because no matter what you post, it’s right there for anyone and everyone to easily scrutinize right, wrong or indifferent. And I just don’t want that hassle. But if any of my family or friends wanted to see some drone footage I’m not against posting to YT because most people are very familiar with it and I’m always within the regulation guidelines.
You can put them on youtube and click private so only people you give the link to can see it.

Mike

You can put them on youtube and click private so only people you give the link to can see it.

Mike
Wow, you're absolutely right! I might have to start doing that. See, I hardly if ever checked out any of those finer details, or maybe they didn't exist over a decade ago, idk. But thanks for the tip!

Reactions: slozukimc
Wow, you're absolutely right! I might have to start doing that. See, I hardly if ever checked out any of those finer details, or maybe they didn't exist over a decade ago, idk. But thanks for the tip!
That is what I do now because it hosts in full quality and is unlimited storage for free.
You’re very welcome. Glad to help.
Mike

Good to know, might check further.
Is that for either of the 2 options other than public view ?
(Eg. unlisted and private ?)
That I don’t know. I recently had problems with my video quality and @Phantomrain.org suggested using youtube instead of dropbox to try to isolate the issue. It worked and seems to be just the tocket for legal drone flights.

Mike

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I had a similar situation. I used a favorite technique called “ documentation beats conversation”.
I completed the job ,sent him the work. I explained to him he was paying for the results not the equipment I was using. I also told him his competitors loved my work. Got a check 3 days later.😊
You will never win a verbal conversation with the ignorant.

This past week I had a new client to do some real estate videos and photos of a property here in South Florida.

I took my mavic pro and went ahead and started taking videos and pictures with my mavic pro when the client arrived. The client said good morning and commented (what a cute toy drone) I continue flying taking the pictures and videos and after a few minutes the client returned and asked me if I was taking pictures and video with a toy drone for his job.

I said yes and explained to him that drones have become more high-tech and smaller thanks to technology but the client would not have it.

His comments were he has used other drone professional companies with big drones and powerful lenses that is required for these type of jobs. He also commented that that's a drone he can buy at Best Buy and take pictures himself.

Then he went ahead and told me he was cancelling the service and he wants a full refund and got it his vehicle and drove away without giving me the opportunity to explain or show him any pictures or video of the quality.

It is what it is I give his full refund and Life goes on.
Thus the world of technology. I was a wedding videographer back in the 1990s. At that time VHS was phasing out and digital cameras at truly half the size were the new thing. Hard to believe that some folks did not use me because I was using what they considered a toy camera.

• Haha
Reactions: LoudThunder

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan