DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clients want to see big drones for there jobs.

Down here in South Florida Realtors do not want to pay what the value of the service is.

A lot of them are buying their own drones and taking their own pictures and videos without the 107 and I have told a couple of Realtors that it could cost them a headache. And their answer is no one will find out who took the pictures
It’s similar here. I’ve spoken with owners of several real estate firms here to inform them of the risks of flying without proper training, licensing, insurance and airspace approvals. Many of them have put in a policy requiring their realtors to provide all the legal info regarding any aerial pics they wish to use on their listing, in order to prove they were captured legally. This has helped me gain/maintain real estate business. Informing them that nearly 50% of the airspace in my county is under military control, and requires obtaining approval directly from the military, has spooked many of the people who were flying illegally to capture their own footage.

At the end of the day there are some independent realtors here that capture their own footage, and it clearly shows when they post it.

Reactions: Drone_Pilot
This past week I had a new client to do some real estate videos and photos of a property here in South Florida.

I took my mavic pro and went ahead and started taking videos and pictures with my mavic pro when the client arrived. The client said good morning and commented (what a cute toy drone) I continue flying taking the pictures and videos and after a few minutes the client returned and asked me if I was taking pictures and video with a toy drone for his job.

I said yes and explained to him that drones have become more high-tech and smaller thanks to technology but the client would not have it.

His comments were he has used other drone professional companies with big drones and powerful lenses that is required for these type of jobs. He also commented that that's a drone he can buy at Best Buy and take pictures himself.

Then he went ahead and told me he was cancelling the service and he wants a full refund and got it his vehicle and drove away without giving me the opportunity to explain or show him any pictures or video of the quality.

It is what it is I give his full refund and Life goes on.
What about if you made them pay a deposit before you start the job? At least you would have something in your pocket if the customer cancelled you.

We do real estate photography here in Central Florida and yeah, realtors are cheap here too. We've heard all kinds of excuses to try and get lowers prices and in the end this is what nearly 99% are after. As I read your story one thing stuck out to me (quoted above)

Obviously this guy hired you, so I am assuming he knew or possibly has seen some examples of your work. But he would have us believe that he was used to using companies that had high end professional drones - why did he quit using them? Cost too much perhaps?

And how did he know he could get a drone like yours at Best Buy? My guess is he is planning on doing just what he said, getting his own drone and doing it himself. At least two of our former clients have done this very thing.

Good for you to stick to your guns and just move along. I will say one thing, and that is that drones are no different than any other camera gear when it comes to looking the part and there is something to be said about larger drones. Even though I have a Mavic 2 pro, I will still show up to a paid job with my Typhoon H Plus. Even though the M2P can shoot raw on par with the Plus, it is a big six rotor design and looks the part - nothing like what most people have ever seen and even the controller looks like a far more advanced piece of gear.
If I ever have this problem like this, I am going to do what you do! I have a Tyhoon H and a Mavic 2 Pro myself.

This past week I had a new client to do some real estate videos and photos of a property here in South Florida.

I took my mavic pro and went ahead and started taking videos and pictures with my mavic pro when the client arrived. The client said good morning and commented (what a cute toy drone) I continue flying taking the pictures and videos and after a few minutes the client returned and asked me if I was taking pictures and video with a toy drone for his job.

I said yes and explained to him that drones have become more high-tech and smaller thanks to technology but the client would not have it.

His comments were he has used other drone professional companies with big drones and powerful lenses that is required for these type of jobs. He also commented that that's a drone he can buy at Best Buy and take pictures himself.

Then he went ahead and told me he was cancelling the service and he wants a full refund and got it his vehicle and drove away without giving me the opportunity to explain or show him any pictures or video of the quality.

So my fellow drone pilot and business man, assuming there is no issue with the quality of your final product, I see you made a very fundamental business mistake in dealing with this type of clientele: you needed to work on a retainer basis or get at least some non-refundable portion of your total anticipated bill up front. Money is a good commitment from your customer of seriously engaging your professional services. Spoken from a long time professional services provider. If a client is opposed to this type of business arrangement, you probably don’t really want them as a client. Think about it! Good luck to you in your future endeavors!

Reactions: CDSkeeles

If he starts taking his own without getting his 107 certification, turn him in.

We do real estate photography here in Central Florida and yeah, realtors are cheap here too. We've heard all kinds of excuses to try and get lowers prices and in the end this is what nearly 99% are after. As I read your story one thing stuck out to me (quoted above)

Obviously this guy hired you, so I am assuming he knew or possibly has seen some examples of your work. But he would have us believe that he was used to using companies that had high end professional drones - why did he quit using them? Cost too much perhaps?

And how did he know he could get a drone like yours at Best Buy? My guess is he is planning on doing just what he said, getting his own drone and doing it himself. At least two of our former clients have done this very thing.

Good for you to stick to your guns and just move along. I will say one thing, and that is that drones are no different than any other camera gear when it comes to looking the part and there is something to be said about larger drones. Even though I have a Mavic 2 pro, I will still show up to a paid job with my Typhoon H Plus. Even though the M2P can shoot raw on par with the Plus, it is a big six rotor design and looks the part - nothing like what most people have ever seen and even the controller looks like a far more advanced piece of gear.
If ya can’t dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bull$&@“. Lol

The thread reminds me of another years back on one of the 4/3 forum when a professional photographer had taken engagement photos on an Olympus E-1 and initially the clients were delighted with the photos and happy to proceed with this person for their wedding. However a short time after they started querying what camera he was using and on finding out it wasn't a Canon or Nikon and only 5MP (when standard sensors were around 8-10MP) they cancelled the wedding on the advice of friends despite being pleased with the engagement photos.

It's not the only time I've seen such a story and unfortunately some people will judge on the equipment not the results.

So q1my fellow drone pilot and business man, assuming there is no issue with the quality of your final product, I see you made a very fundamental business mistake in dealing with this type of clientele: you needed to work on a retainer basis or get at least some non-refundable portion of your total anticipated bill up front. Money is a good commitment from your customer of seriously engaging your professional services. Spoken from a long time professional services provider. If a client is opposed to this type of business arrangement, you probably don’t really want them as a client. Think about it! Good luck to you in your future endeavors!
For me it's just easier to fully refund. Why? Client will do a charge back and have to fight with processing company or have to sue them. Just saving myself from a headache

Reactions: 70Falcon and RMS001
My old boss used to wonder; "How come there are so many more horses a$$e$ than there are horses?"

If this is the first time this has happened and you have been successful so far, I wouldn't change a thing. Most likely the guy is just a jerk. There is probably nothing you could have said that would have changed his mind.

Last edited:

Should have asked them if they were paying for a "big drone" that costs in the several thousand $$$ range - like Inspires / etc.?

Sounds like they were not really wanting a drone shot and came up with an excuse.

When they get their 107 - maybe then they can shoot their own pics / videos!

You should never say "yes" to this kind of question. You need to explain that your drone uses one of the very best cameras available, a Hasselblad and that it is one of the best professional caliber piece of equipment available. Leave it at that and let your photos and videos back this up. I would also explain that there are NO refunds. You have the proper equipment and were there for the job. No refunds.

Mark Lent

Reactions: Forensics_Pilot
At least the customer can't complain about your drone being too loud, much less the camera specs and thousands it cost to buy. Uninformed idiot.

Reactions: Drone_Pilot
My old boss used to wonder; "How come there are so many more horses a$$e$ than there are horses?"

If this is the first time this has happened and you have been successful so far, I wouldn't change a thing. Most likely the guy is just a jerk. There is probably nothing you could have said that would have changed his mind.

It doesn't happen very often. There's always a jerk out there.

Reactions: dozzn
I avoid such issues by having drone pics on my website -- if anyone wants to hire me, they can go look at the stills and video before they do. Once they see the quality is fine, no worries...they don't care what the bird looks like (an MP2, btw).
That said, your (former) client sounds like an arrogant jerk. Better off without him.

This is one of the top reasons why I still use my Inspire 1 for construction jobs. Construction clients like to see construction-grade equipment. It literally says in my estimate, "I don't use drones you can purchase at Best Buy." Which is absolutely true.

D

You might also refer them to this article:

What Are Some Important Lessons Revealed From These FAA Drone Enforcement Actions?

One realtor in Minnesota was fined $39,700 for multiple flights. “The purpose of flight 7 was to advertise a real estate listing for” XXXXX. If you dig into the SkyPan cases, the real estate brokerage firm had to respond to subpoenas from the FAA. This caused that brokerage firm time and money complying and turning over the documents. While SkyPan’s customer did not get in trouble, they did have to speed time.

If he starts taking his own without getting his 107 certification, turn him in.

This is one of the top reasons why I still use my Inspire 1 for construction jobs. Construction clients like to see construction-grade equipment. It literally says in my estimate, "I don't use drones you can purchase at Best Buy." Which is absolutely true.

D

^^^^^^ Nailed it!

This is the ONLY reason I still own my H520 Hex. New commercial clients think it looks all professional and "beefy" when in reality the camera is significantly inferior to both my Mavics (Platinum and 2 Pro). When we go meet new clients (especially Construction type) we pull out the H520 and show them some WOW. We also let them know that aircraft may or may NOT be the one we use on their project depending on the SCOPE of the work and the finished product.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The old bait and switch, lol.😬
We do use it once in a while but I can assure you the H520 is not our primary work horse except for Search-n-Rescue and then it IS our work horse.

[snip] He also commented that that's a drone he can buy at Best Buy and take pictures himself.
Legal issues notwithstanding, this reminds me of the old joke.

A driver takes a car to a mechanic. It's running rough, belching nasty exhaust, rattling and coughing, nearly stalling out.

The mechanic looks under the hood, grabs a wrench, turns one bolt, and it's purring like a kitten. The owner is amazed and can't thank the mechanic enough.

Then comes the bill. "Are you kidding? $125 to turn one bolt?! Why, I could have bought a wrench and done that myself."

"Naw," replies the mechanic. "I charged you $5 to turn the bolt… and $120 for knowing which bolt to turn."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett