DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clip-on telephoto adapter for Mavic Pro?

Cloudhopper

Reactions
Just throwing this out there ...

I noticed a lot of clip-on zoom and fish-eye adapters for cellphones, and no doubt most of them are of poor quality.

But it got me thinking whether such an adapter could be developed for the Mavic 2 Pro to give a 2x zoom for occasional use - maybe to snap wildlife without getting too close?

Anyone know of anyone selling something like this? If not, is it feasible for a drone accessories company to develop one?

Reactions: TLRX4 and altaic
But it got me thinking whether such an adapter could be developed for the Mavic 2 Pro to give a 2x zoom for occasional use - maybe to snap wildlife without getting too close?
Anyone know of anyone selling something like this? If not, is it feasible for a drone accessories company to develop one?
Nothing like that has shown up.
Apart from optical issues, there would be significant problems for the gimbal dealing with the additional unbalanced weight it would involve.

Reactions: Thomas B and TLRX4
How about a wide angle lens for fov and video quality, as opposed to having to select modes with the much discussed trade offs? Shouldn’t weigh much.

I think it’s a good business idea. Somebody should come out with something. To zoom optically really requires an extension from the main lens to have enough room for the light to bend(that’s why telephoto lenses are always longer) and that would likely cause a gimbal balancing issue. But a fish eye should work and weight not much more than an ND filter. I’m sure there’s plenty of people who would buy that and it’s kinda shocking there hasn’t been one made yet.

Reactions: brett8883
This 2x telephoto weighs 6.6 grams and it has a magnet in it. If we tossed the magnet and replaced it with a plastic clip, it's probably still going to be around 6.6 grams.

I'm pretty sure the M2P gimbal could take that.

2019 Wholesale Magnetic Telephoto Lens 2X For Cellphone Camera IPhone 6Plus 6 5S 5C 5 4S 4 IPad 4 3 2 Mini Smartphones With Flat Camera From Michall, $23.71 | DHgate.Com

Need somebody with a 3D printer to make a clip that also doesn’t allow light bleed through the sides. On the inspire gimbals that have replaceable lenses they have a kit to attach a counter weight to the backside of the gimbal for larger lenses. Maybe you could take a page out of that playbook to rebalance it

Switching from FOV mode to HQ mode gives you about a 1.43X lossless "zoom" on the Pro.

Add-on lenses are typically very poor quality, such as all the ones sold for smartphones or knock-off versions for traditional cameras. A quality telephoto or UWA adapter that did not impact image quality on the M2P (something that is also very difficult) would probably cost hundreds of dollars and be far too heavy for the gimbal with enough glass to cover the 1" sensor's image circle. The rectangular shape of the mount is not good for that either. A 2X teleconverter would also make the maximum aperture of the lens F5.6, which is quite slow and would be negatively affected by diffraction.

It's not a bad idea, just not realistic given the application.

Last edited:
Reactions: parkgt and Meta4
Would be awesome to see an iPhone 12 kind of setup, understandable that it wouldn't perform good in lowlight but to have the 2x and wide would be amazing!

Still wonder why nobody has made it yet, even though the low quality it would have.

Would be awesome to see an iPhone 12 kind of setup, understandable that it wouldn't perform good in lowlight but to have the 2x and wide would be amazing!

Still wonder why nobody has made it yet, even though the low quality it would have.

Probably because the gimbal couldn't handle the unbalanced weight in front of the camera?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy