DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Cloud Parallax

RadioFlyerMan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Can you see the issue here?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Something learned to day, although! But since there is no difference in ´distances` from the observer position, I would rather call it light/shadow dynamics.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
This Parallax video is a fine example of RFM's fine editing prowess ... like "How'd he do that?" He has examples of really "grade A" theme, composition and editing on YouTube. John, may be you would post the link. I see his stuff and thing man, i need some Final Cut Pro (FCP) editing classes from this pilot.

Parallex video . . . very cool. FCP skills . . priceless

@RadioFlyerMan

Here is what's going on with this video. Yes, the issue is that the clouds are going one way, and the shadows (or sunlit areas) in the opposite direction. But the intention of the video was to test the observer on their visual logic. What the video is showing and what I implied by the title was a parallax event, supposedly a rare occurrence. The fact is, it is impossible. The sun is too far away to create such a parallax. What I wanted from the observer was for them to say... "Hey, wait a minute! That's not possible. You faked it!" But when you casually look at the video, it looks somewhat logical. I had a lot of people on Facebook look at the video and say "Cool, Looks beautiful, Nice shot", etc. But nobody told me that it is not possible and not real. So I posted it here to see what would happen. @Made2Phly was the first person after 50 views to PM me and say "wait a minute!"

I've done a similar solicitation of reaction with other videos I've created with my MPP. One in particular "House of Gardens", included shots showing the movement of the sun over a period of hours. No drone can fly that long, and I wanted to see if someone would catch it. No one did. The fact is, the drone was not flying but staged on a high platform. In my book, that's cheating and I wanted someone to call me on it.

The creation of Cloud Parallax started with a simple time-lapse. With a tripodded field of view (drone not moving), it is easy to apply shape masks to selectively color correct the sky separate from the ground. I then stacked the shot and separately trimmed the sky and the ground clips to meet at the horizon. Then I reversed the sky clip. It looks natural, but then when you think about it, it's not natural.

Thanks for watching!

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Here is what's going on with this video. Yes, the issue is that the clouds are going one way, and the shadows (or sunlit areas) in the opposite direction. But the intention of the video was to test the observer on their visual logic. What the video is showing and what I implied by the title was a parallax event, supposedly a rare occurrence. The fact is, it is impossible. The sun is too far away to create such a parallax. What I wanted from the observer was for them to say... "Hey, wait a minute! That's not possible. You faked it!" But when you casually look at the video, it looks somewhat logical. I had a lot of people on Facebook look at the video and say "Cool, Looks beautiful, Nice shot", etc. But nobody told me that it is not possible and not real. So I posted it here to see what would happen. @Made2Phly was the first person after 50 views to PM me and say "wait a minute!"

I've done a similar solicitation of reaction with other videos I've created with my MPP. One in particular "House of Gardens", included shots showing the movement of the sun over a period of hours. No drone can fly that long, and I wanted to see if someone would catch it. No one did. The fact is, the drone was not flying but staged on a high platform. In my book, that's cheating and I wanted someone to call me on it.

The creation of Cloud Parallax started with a simple time-lapse. With a tripodded field of view (drone not moving), it is easy to apply shape masks to selectively color correct the sky separate from the ground. I then stacked the shot and separately trimmed the sky and the ground clips to meet at the horizon. Then I reversed the sky clip. It looks natural, but then when you think about it, it's not natural.

Thanks for watching!

It's not that the sun is too far away, because its relative motion is determined by the earth's rotation. That effect is actually possible, but only if the clouds are moving across the sky slower than the sun, and in the same direction - a rather unlikely event.

It's not that the sun is too far away, because its relative motion is determined by the earth's rotation. That effect is actually possible, but only if the clouds are moving across the sky slower than the sun, and in the same direction - a rather unlikely event.
True, but it would take hours to observe the effect simulated in my video, requiring an earth bound tripod mounted camera, not a 20 minute drone flight. Like you say, unlikely.

Thanks for the explanation :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan