DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cloud Surfing - dangerous stuff?

Fascinated by cloud movement since I was a kid I finally got it done. It took me 2 months considering it back and forth to do it or not taking the risks. Then I found a way to minimize the risks.

VLOS: Taking advantage of wholes in the cloud cover let me keep my bird in vlos. It took me a dozen flights to collect all the footage.

Iced blades: I waxed the low noise blades of my Mavic minimizing the risk of frozen water could hold onto it.

The only trouble I‘ve encountered was a foggy lens. Here is the result:

Awesome - Very Cool!!!

Reactions: Marco Cantieni
Very cool videos, I’ve been waiting on the right conditions to be able to get “on top” myself.

Please remember that you need to be able to see and avoid manned aircraft, and you won’t be able to see any aircraft that are in the clouds. Check with a local flight school to help you identify where the Instrument Approach paths are to airports in your area of flight. In the event that an aircraft needs to fly in those conditions, they will fly within 400 ft of the ground when nearing and departing airports.
My take off point being on top of a nearly 3000 ft mountain, I was actually above these clouds myself. The Mavic was only about 100 feet above me (and in sight) the whole time. Hence why in one of my other replies I mentioned I’ve only been able to find these conditions twice (implying but not saying, that I could still follow all recommended guidelines AND capture this kind of footage).

Fascinated by cloud movement since I was a kid I finally got it done. It took me 2 months considering it back and forth to do it or not taking the risks. Then I found a way to minimize the risks.

VLOS: Taking advantage of wholes in the cloud cover let me keep my bird in vlos. It took me a dozen flights to collect all the footage.

Iced blades: I waxed the low noise blades of my Mavic minimizing the risk of frozen water could hold onto it.

Great footage! Thanks for sharing!

105m was the maximum
Great work and super editing!!
I have done some cloud hopping out where I live and some of your shots appear to be much higher up than 105m...but "frankly 'Scarlet'....I don't give a dam(n)".... if that is where the fun is...that is where we go!!
Out here, where there is nothing to run into or be hit by or to hit when falling out of the sky.....get the best 'footage' you can.
Thanks for sharing.
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a scofflaw.
Arrrgh!!

Last edited:

Awesome footage. I am not afraid of the flying in the clouds, except that I could lose my part 107 license if anyone in authority wanted to take the time to come after me. But if you are able to stay in VLOS then other aircraft would not be a concern. Where is the mountain footage from, it looks beautiful

Hmmm...as life-long diver...you can use the 'stuff' at the dive shop but they would say "spit on the lens and wipe it around". probably good for diving....maybe not so good for clear camera shots...not so much.

Just a thought, but you might want to try RainX on the lens.

Here is a less bold attempt of mine catching clouds over a year ago. I had my Mavic just 2 months. I almost **** my pants [emoji23]

Awesome. We have some exchange students from Koln staying with us in the states for 3 weeks (this is the last week). For some reason, my daughter wouldn't make the trip to the Black Forest to get me a true cuckoo clock when she was in Koln last autumn! Happy shooting!

Here is a less bold attempt of mine catching clouds over a year ago. I had my Mavic just 2 months. I almost **** my pants [emoji23]

Lovely shots. Anyone fortunate enough to live on or near a mountain will often be able to get footage like this perfectly safely. If you can get above the cloud layer without going into/thru them you don't even have to get very high. It always boils down to being in the right place at the right time.

Weren't you afraid of a short-circuit by having your drone in a cloud (Humidity) ?

Actually not because I‘ve learned from early dismantling videos that the Mavic does have a protective coating on the circuit board and that fresh water does no harm - salt water does. I was more afraid of iced blades.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom