DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold weather

Porky

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi all,

Just thought I’d ask, does anyone wear gloves while flying especially now as it’s starting to get colder. The screen must be able to recognise your touch so just wondering if anyone could recommend or point me in the right direction.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: bushie
People usually talk about cold batteries in winter. I always mention that cold hands are a bigger issue. There are a lot of gloves on the market made to work with touch screen devices.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and Porky
I use an iPad with the touch pen. No need to ever remove my winter mittens :cool:
Good point. There are pens with a soft rubbery tip that are used for touch screens. I guess you could tie a string to one and hang from an antenna.

Yes, wore ThinsulateDSC_1210.JPG (or something like them) gloves this morning.
Control was just as with none.
They're very old and have holes in the fingers that were repaired with French liquid material glue that comes in a yellow squeeze container (forgot what it's called) but I was able to control my tablet with them on anyway, plus my digits were toasty :p

Edit; I have some NothFace on order
The North Face Etip Unisex Outdoor Gloves

Last edited:
Reactions: Porky
Thanks for the above reply’s guys;) dont want to wear anything to big & cumbersome but nice & thin so I still have control with the sticks & screen.

I use an iPad with the touch pen. No need to ever remove my winter mittens :cool:

Good idea but I wonder if that would work with a CS monitor.

There's a good range of gloves available now with pads on them which allow them to work with modern touch screens although as it's a tough balance to get ones that keep your hands warm but also flexible enough to work the controls. I have a few cycling gloves which are reasonably flexible and not too bulky plus they stop my hands getting too cold.

If you've a suitable store nearby I find it's really valuable to try them on and see how they fit plus you can see how well they work with your phone.

Reactions: Porky
I think the best thing to do is go shopping & try some on instead of buying them online. I know what my better half would say if i waste more money on things I don’t use, got a room full of stuff...:rolleyes:

There's a good range of gloves available now with pads on them which allow them to work with modern touch screens although as it's a tough balance to get ones that keep your hands warm but also flexible enough to work the controls. I have a few cycling gloves which are reasonably flexible and not too bulky plus they stop my hands getting too cold.

If you've a suitable store nearby I find it's really valuable to try them on and see how they fit plus you can see how well they work with your phone.

I was typing while you sent your message. My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
1 person who said they tried lots including those Gliders, had issues with the tips wearing off and said the North Face was the best in the long-term

Gonna try a few outdoor shops tomorrow, blacks/millets/Halfords etc I think blacks will sell Northface gloves, you never know.

It’s nice flying when it’s hot in the summer but I want to be toast on them chilly autumn days. Cor it’s making sound really old now:(

MY Thermal gloves pictured earlier (which I like as they're so thin) are 1 size fits all, I think I got them from Damart but can't find them for sale anywhere though there are some that look similar but not sure they would work without the wear I have put into them?
Hope you find some you like.
I'll have my North Face tomorrow so may give some feedback after...

MY Thermal gloves pictured earlier (which I like as they're so thin) are 1 size fits all, I think I got them from Damart but can't find them for sale anywhere though there are some that look similar but not sure they would work without the wear I have put into them?
Hope you find some you like.
I'll have my North Face tomorrow so may give some feedback after...

Yeah that would be great, many thanks

Reactions: SpinItUp
Gonna try a few outdoor shops tomorrow, blacks/millets/Halfords etc I think blacks will sell Northface gloves, you never know.

It’s nice flying when it’s hot in the summer but I want to be toast on them chilly autumn days. Cor it’s making sound really old now:(

Ah you're in the UK, I didn't want to give specific recommendations as I thought you were in the US! That sounds a good list of shops and also check the cycling section as some of those gloves are more flexible as cyclists need to be able to operate the brakes and shifters with gloves on so you may find them easier to use the controls with.

I don't think it's anything about being old and wanting to avoid chilly hands as I'm very much the same, I tend not to fly for too long in winter for that reason.

Reactions: SpinItUp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aeronkat