DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI MINI 2 Operating temperature (Cold Weather)

‘akdrone’ … would have some suggestions. In fact, I bet he’s out flying around somewhere in Alaska right now. Or, I could be wrong. He could be taking a break 🌊 in Hawaii 🏝️ 😎

🇨🇦👍

The MANUAL specifies for Drone -10ºC to +40ºC - its in the manual!
Battery 5ºC to 40ºC

Last edited:
Battery 5ºC to 40ºC
So what? We're talking about real life experience.
Manuals and labels say lots of things, often for purposes of limiting liability, not providing us with real guidance. For example, drugs I take have storage temperature restrictions. Do I keep them in a humidity and temperature controlled box? Hardly. Bet you don't either.

there is one constant ,regardless of what the specs say in the Manual ,and that is at both ends of the temperature spectrum ,the drones batteries and operating systems can be compromised
in those extremes , and therefore its essential to be aware of that ,when flying

The specification is DJI saying "this is how we designed this drone, If you go outside these we will not be responsible."
If you don't like the parameters set by the manufacturer, stretch them to get your answers.

Battery 5ºC to 40ºC
Actually the specs on DJIs website state that the operating temperature is from 0C to 40C. Probably more current than the manual that likely hasn’t been updated in a while.

Chris

DE62DA6F-6A4A-4E56-B471-B95EB5C5963C.jpeg

You just need one of those tablets that can work even with gloves
If you are going to fly in the winter or when it's cold, just wear "touchscreen" gloves. There are all types, from lightweight to heavyweight gloves. If you are going to buy a set, the gloves always leave one open so the perspective buyer can try one on without opening the set. When you try one on, try using your smartphone. Open the DJI App and try opening the menus and moving around the album…

Worse case, it is extremely cold and you have to wear your "Nanook of the North" gloves or mittens and just need to freeze your drone's buzzer off, then you might need to use a touchscreen stylus…

Final thought, if you are going to be flying while you are also outside in the cold, check the operating temperature of your phone or tablet. You might find out that your screen "Blacks out" before your drone freezes and if you cannot fly blind, your drone might not make it home so safely…

Final thought, if you are going to be flying while you are also outside in the cold, check the operating temperature of your phone or tablet. You might find out that your screen "Blacks out" before your drone freezes and if you cannot fly blind, your drone might not make it home so safely…
Aware of the gloves that have the touch thru pads, they sometimes work. Though they do get pretty cold around that part.

Far as operating temperature, mine tested at able to operate for several hours at -4F up to 140F and can be stored at -40F (and exposure to 160F for 2+ hours... Guess they don't mean operating in) when the manufacture tested it for MIL-STD-810 rating. It's also IP68 and can be used with standard gloves or latex gloves and has an IP68 stylus pen.

Since I'm unlikely to have my tablet out and flying for more than 30 minutes at a time in -4F let alone standing anywhere at 140F (Drone isn't even going to fly thst) I think it'll be fine at whatever the drone can actually take off in.

the specs on DJIs website state that the operating temperature is from 0C to 40C.

People seem to forget that when they are getting ready to fly their drone is ultra-low temperature, they are often sitting in their nice warm house or vehicle. And consequently, their drone is also nice and comfy sitting next to them.

Then they decide to throw their dear little drone out in the sub-zero, artic-like environment, their drone is still nice and warm from sitting next to them and it takes a while for the cold to set in. There they are flying their drone at -40 degrees (at this one temp, Fahrenheit and Centigrade are the same…) and they are all aglow that their drone is flying at so low a temp and they are ready to post this wonderful achievement on YouTube, TikTok, and every other social media they can find, only to have their drone start acting strangely, frozen gimbal, stuttering video, jello action, etc… as the cold sets in…

Remember, it takes a while for the cold to do its worse; your new version of the movie "Frozen" may be fatal to your drone… Your drone may operate at higher and lower temperatures than the specs say, but you are pushing it to the limits of it endurance.

Is it worth it?

winter.png

Reactions: karlblessing
People seem to forget that when they are getting ready to fly their drone is ultra-low temperature, they are often sitting in their nice warm house or vehicle. And consequently, their drone is also nice and comfy sitting next to them.
Personally I don't do that, I've seen people do it but it makes more sense not to add barriers between me and the drone. If the conditions are getting too harsh for me, it's likely it's too harsh for the drone. I also have to keep in mind the drone isn't insulated like I am outside once the battery leaves my coat.

• Love
Reactions: LoudThunder
About a year ago now we Froze an Air 2 Battery with the Air tight Cover from the Wet Suit in the freezer overnight, and in the morning we tried to start the drone it would not start.

After sitting for just 3 minutes at room temp the drone started right up. The moral of the story was that it just the Difference between a few degrees to take place to get the battery to warm up and start the drone.

This is why keeping the Battery Warm to start up the drone is so critical.

This is why an Air Tight Seal with the Wet Suit on can keep the Battery warmer by 6 Degrees which is huge when it comes to flying in the Frigid Temps knowing that just a few degrees can make the difference between flight and being grounded.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21