DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Color Popping in D Log Footage, can't figure out whats wrong

Morawka

Reactions
I'm getting a lot of color popping in my mavic videos.. I'm very new to photography, but i have been researching it for some time now.. So i'm not completely green on everything.

Here is a video i shot today: notice how the brown in the cornfield trys to turn green, and then brown again. Pay attention to the top 1/3rd of the screen

ISO 100, Shutter 1/4000, DLOG film mode, Standard picture setting, Locked exposure and shutter; White Balance set to: Cloudy. However i'm still getting color artifacts on the raw mavic files (before any post processing)

I know ISO increases the sensor's sensativity to light, and the higher the ISO, the more potential you have for noise. So you generally want the lowest ISO possible and the fastest shutter possible to get clear crisp footage on a sunny/cloudy day.

I am trying to learn color correction with Davinci Resolve, but these problems are keeping me from doing anything i can show off.

Can someone give me some pointers and some general rules of thumb, to use when setting up the mavic for filming.

Thanks

Last edited:
Can't see anything there besides extreme underexposure.

Why the heck would you ever want to shoot 1/2000th ISO200??

sorry it was ISO 100, Shutter set to 2nd fastest setting, which was 4000, i gave me a -2.7 EV.. I just messed with the dials until the image looked right on my phone. Please give me some pointers and rules of thumb on setting ISO and shutter.

i have another video that shows it better, give me 10 minutes to edit it.

Here is another video showing the same problem.. Keep in mind this is raw DLOG footage, so of course it's gonna look flat, and a little dim. This one was on Auto Exposure, but the same color problems persist.

This is why I don't like D-Log on the Mavic. The color information is brought down to such a small resolution that any fluctuation will be significant. This is called quantization. It's like banning all pennies and wondering why inexpensive items jump in price much more obviously. D-Log may work fine if you have a nice 14-bit sensor but not on this little dashboard cam they attached on the Mavic. Give the color some more resolution to work with. D-Cinelike with -1 contrast if you think you're blowing the ranges.

Most are using Cinelike with all -1 if you want a flattish profile, however see the other thread about Art mode which is somewhat better for grading.
D-Log is all but unusable on Mavic, there are indisputable technical issues which clearly show you don't want to be using it.

Reactions: Kilrah
Thanks for the replies.. all of the tutorials for the mavic told me to film in d-log.. I will try art mode and cinelike.

Yes i agree the mavic's camera could use a huge improvement.

Thanks for the replies.. all of the tutorials for the mavic told me to film in d-log.. I will try art mode and cinelike.

Yes i agree the mavic's camera could use a huge improvement.

Don't blame the camera. Instead learn the strengths and the weaknesses of it. When you know, you can pull some great shot with just about any camera.
Your footage looks like that because it is vastly underexposed.
I would approach it this way. Use the automatic mode for the camera. It will do a pretty decent job in daylight and practice your shots. Learn from the web what a good drone shot looks like, ask questions then go practice them.
One more thing, don't turn the camera on all the time. Plan a shot then turn the camera on for the duration of the shot only. Be frugal with your footage. I'll guarantee you will start to develop an eye for what looks good.
Only then start worry about picture mode and color mode.
D-log requires color correction but it is not a good mode right now. Art is probably the best but it requires color correction.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Kilrah
Keep in mind this is raw DLOG footage, so of course it's gonna look flat, and a little dim.
Flat yes, but dim it should not. On most cameras since the metering is adjusted to standard profiles you need to add significant positive exposure compensation to fill the highlights when you shoot log.

But as mentioned D-Log is useless on the Mavic, both because it gives bad results probably due to the way the profile is made, but also just becasue the Mavic's camera doesn't have a dynamic range that makes log interesting or necessary to capture anyway.
Cinelike already gives you everything you'll get out of it.

Remeber it's a flying cellphone camera made to be as small as possible, not an A7SII. Seen in perspective the results it gives are awesome already.
If you're all about quality you should be looking at something that doesn't have the size constraint and the compromises it requires.

Reactions: lenzwizard
This there any written explanation of what all these modes actually do?

Here is a trick guys. Open DJI GO (not the 4) then in the color modes choose Art. Open DJI GO4 and you'll see Art is still selected. Art is probably the best color mode.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

What makes it the best? I was pretty happy with TrueColor last night.

What makes it the best? I was pretty happy with TrueColor last night.

Sorry I should have elaborated a bit.
There are two kinds of approach to a finished video.
Capture the final picture in camera, meaning final color, contrast, luminosity and sharpness or capture the footage in an intermediate state which let you manipulate the color, contrast, luminosity and sharpness, among other things, post shoot.
If you are not interested in this manipulation then you need not worry about it at all. If you like the color of what you shot then you're home. On the other hand, if you are interested in color correction then you capture the footage in the mode (Art) that will give you the easiest way to manipulate it and looks the best.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851