DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Colorado Mystery Squadron of Drones spotted and recorded.

Super interesting. Maybe mapping trials? Geo scanning by a mining company? I know they do this with helo's in Aust.
There is a company called Skyhunter that detects and maps oil and gas resources with small turboprops to locate the sweet spots in newly developing plays. Environmentalists would file a lawsuit against the earth for pollution if they knew trace hysrocarbons are continuously migrating to the surface of the earth without any help from mankind. They would probably be pretty quiet about it if they are prospecting for a company that would want a more advantageous negotiating position for leases.

Reactions: Coskier
So this is annoying, over 20 drones in a squadron spotted in the sky at night , with blinking lights .
Recorded by police, fire, and residents and get this , not a single one of those drones could be followed, sighted or ticketed by the FAA or identified. Shaking my head as this just happened tonight.

They our asking those that flew the drones to come forward, lolllllllllllll Come on now ,
Residents our asking if they can shoot them down, for me this is blatant display of how hard it is to enforce the simplest FAA rules.

No one could identify what kind of drone it was but that it was 6 ft in length with flashing lights that were being turned on and off in sequence. ...

Meanwhile I got a buddy in Colorado at the air force base and they our on alert.

Phantomrain.org
Elite gear for your Mavic
Coal
I’m reaching here...but could this be some sort of rehearsal for a possible upcoming event like the Super Bowl??

Reactions: Mac Man
A theory my friends and I were discussing the other day, and this is WAY out there, but what if this is a terrorist group practicing group drones flights to multiple targets? Since just about everybody is investigating it now they, the drone operators, have most likely stopped and moved elsewhere (I saw a report in Canada of the same things). If it is, those large drones could each carry a large payload and who knows what damage they could cause. How would you defend against that? I hope I'm wrong.

You notice how a news cycle keys on a particular word. Currently it’s “drone”. Plane hits drone or bird, helicopter nearly misses drone, drone formation, etc, etc. If the news decides “drone” sells it could get ugly. I just hope they don’t blame drones for cancer and turn the world against us.

A theory my friends and I were discussing the other day, and this is WAY out there, but what if this is a terrorist group practicing group drones flights to multiple targets? Since just about everybody is investigating it now they, the drone operators, have most likely stopped and moved elsewhere (I saw a report in Canada of the same things). If it is, those large drones could each carry a large payload and who knows what damage they could cause. How would you defend against that? I hope I'm wrong.
I’m thinking not. Mainly because it’s too visible. In my mind, a single drone with lifting capacity of 50-100lbs could cause untold carnage if unloaded in a strategic location. IMO it’s not a matter of IF, but WHEN — and when it does happen our little Drone Nation will be forever changed. I’m quite sure this is on the FAA’s mind and may even be why stricter regulations and licensing are on the horizon.
To be fair however, even a Mini or toy drone in the hands of a bad actor could do major harm. Vigilance by our peers is essential.
The fan is on high and the dodo slingith!

Last edited:
I’m thinking not. Mainly because it’s too visible. In my mind, a single drone with lifting capacity of 50-100lbs could cause untold carnage if unloaded in a strategic location. IMO it’s not a matter of IF, but WHEN — and when it does happen our little Drone Nation will be forever changed. I’m quite sure this is on the FAA’s mind and may even be why stricter regulations and licensing are on the horizon.
To be fair however, even a Mini or toy drone in the hands of a bad actor could do major harm. Vigilance by our peers is essential.
The fan is on high and the dodo slingith!

that will only happen if we allow them to, criminals dont give a (deleted by Mod) about the law. any laws enacted will just be taking the general citizens rights away.

You notice how a news cycle keys on a particular word. Currently it’s “drone”. Plane hits drone or bird, helicopter nearly misses drone, drone formation, etc, etc. If the news decides “drone” sells it could get ugly. I just hope they don’t blame drones for cancer and turn the world against us.

The FAA did classify all R/C aircraft, regardless of types (Airplane, Glider, Helicopter, Multi rotor, rocket, etc), as "drones". But, the news like to show the DJI Phantom in most news reports.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I watched a truly amazing video shot in China and think in the skies above Shanghai. There were hundreds of drones all flying in formation and doing some incredible light shows and special effects. The skill to program all of those drones to work in Unison was truly breathtaking and remarkable. Beat the hell out of Fireworks as the drones did the same thing without the threat of burning down a house of field, I know if one crashed it might have been the same thing, but at least they did not pollute the air like traditional fireworks. Found it on YouTube, have to find it yourself.

I watched a truly amazing video shot in China and think in the skies above Shanghai. There were hundreds of drones all flying in formation and doing some incredible light shows and special effects. The skill to program all of those drones to work in Unison was truly breathtaking and remarkable. Beat the hell out of Fireworks as the drones did the same thing without the threat of burning down a house of field, I know if one crashed it might have been the same thing, but at least they did not pollute the air like traditional fireworks. Found it on YouTube, have to find it yourself.
It has been posted before on this forum. It really is amazing.

Reactions: Rangerider
This one? 1374 drones... not the New Year’s vid.

2-300 ft at night can be seen with binoculars and video capture with a simple camera from the ground... night flights with IR?

Not sure "6ft in length" puts these drones (UFO's) in the DJI Mavic class of hobby drones being flown by miscreants and if it was a stunt then there might be some Youtube channel loading the footage soon. Anyway, it looks like Drone shooting season has opened. Is there a prize for the largest drone shot down?
Jail time!

How could none of these drones be followed? I would have thought it would have been made easier given there's so many drones all lit up at night.

How could none of these drones be followed? I would have thought it would have been made easier given there's so many drones all lit up at night.

Exactly , and thus my faith in the FAA is very limited so to speak.

If I saw a large fleet of drones at night I'd just follow them, I don't see how so many people have apparently seen such a distinctive sight but no-one can track them? You wouldn't even need the exact locations because it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get 20 drones landed and put away before anyone spots you.

If I saw a large fleet of drones at night I'd just follow them, I don't see how so many people have apparently seen such a distinctive sight but no-one can track them? You wouldn't even need the exact locations because it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get 20 drones landed and put away before anyone spots you.
You're far from the first with that idea. But when they switch off their lights they're literally invisible. After that, who knows how far they go, and in which direction, before landing? Good luck with the hunt; Colorado is large and (mostly) sparsely populated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis