DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Comparing M3 video to other drones

canadian drone videos

Reactions
Under perfect conditions Spark video will look pretty much as good as X7 video. Comparing unedited M3 to M2 video isn’t going to tell you much, your not likely to see a difference. 1080 properly exposed and in focus will always look pretty decent.

My point is you won’t see any advantage in higher res and a larger sensor till you start working the video in post. Comparing uncropped M3 video to uncropped M2 video is absolutely pointless and will tell us nothing. Why on earth would you expect to see any real noticeable difference under perfect conditions? Your not.

I see guys comparing the two drones and saying they are not impressed with the video from the M3. Without cropping the M3 video or doing a digital zoom in post your not going to be impressed, that’s a given. Their argument becomes mundane, their is a huge difference between the 2 drones that can not be appreciated at all until you begin working the video in post.

When I get time and good weather I’m going to show you the difference, and it’s a major difference. You want to see it for yourself then look how much more you can crop M3 video verses M2 video and still have good res, then, and only then will the two cameras true colours show.

Reactions: Point Zero
Comparing image quality on YouTube is a poor way to do it. YouTube re-encodes everything uploaded to it in 5 or more versions, and serves one of those versions, which it chooses, out to the viewer based on the connection speed.

Far better is an evaluation directly on a PC with a big calibrated monitor.

Comparing image quality on YouTube is a poor way to do it. YouTube re-encodes everything uploaded to it in 5 or more versions, and serves one of those versions, which it chooses, out to the viewer based on the connection speed.

I absolutely agree, YouTube is useless for comparing image quality. I could crop M3 video 5x and a YouTube viewer wouldn’t even know it. I could take video from a Spark post it on YouTube and tell people it was from a M3 and very few people would see any difference. The problem with the Spark is you can’t crop it to reframe a shot in post.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
I absolutely agree, YouTube is useless for comparing image quality. I could crop M3 video 5x and a YouTube viewer wouldn’t even know it. I could take video from a Spark post it on YouTube and tell people it was from a M3 and very few people would see any difference. The problem with the Spark is you can’t crop it to reframe a shot in post.
For example, about 50 seconds into this video I do a crop and zoom into this boat that’s speeding away. The gimbal on the x5s didn’t actually move nor was I using a zoom lens. That crop and zoom was done in post production. But shots like that are impossible with a Spark or any cheap drone with a small sensor, probably not even with a P4P. You need a big sensor and lots of resolution to pull off things like this in post.

Maybe you can answer a different question for me: It seems, no matter what computer or laptop I use, whenever I start the YouTube videos there at least 12 to 16 seconds of blurriness until the final clearer picture takes over...any idea why and if there is something I can do to adjust the time it takes. I have even rewound the video to start after it cleared up and it is still blurry to that certain point.

Maybe you can answer a different question for me: It seems, no matter what computer or laptop I use, whenever I start the YouTube videos there at least 12 to 16 seconds of blurriness until the final clearer picture takes over...any idea why and if there is something I can do to adjust the time it takes. I have even rewound the video to start after it cleared up and it is still blurry to that certain point.
My best guess would be internet connection? It may try to start the video at a higher res then the connection can handle, then automatically kicks it back to what it can handle, that’s only a guess. Try starting a video at 320p just to see what happens?

I think that's just the adjustment period for YouTube to guess what resolution your device can handle for playback. It starts at the lowest resolution then upscales once it's figured out it's not playing on a phone with a smaller screen.

Reactions: NG Wildman
My best guess would be internet connection? It may try to start the video at a higher res then the connection can handle, then automatically kicks it back to what it can handle, that’s only a guess. Try starting a video at 320p just to see what happens?
Thanks.

I think that's just the adjustment period for YouTube to guess what resolution your device can handle for playback. It starts at the lowest resolution then upscales once it's figured out it's not playing on a phone with a smaller screen.
Thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan