DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration in Argentina

pampasdeer

Reactions
I purchased my Mavic 2 Pro in USA, tested it after going through the tutorials, and everything worked fine.
I then brought it to my home in Argentina only to find that I am unable to calibrate the compass. I went through the instructions of moving the drone horizontally then vertically as per the diagram. The controller says 'Magnetic interference' even though I am nowhere near buildings, metal, concrete etc. Therefore I am unable to take off and would not want to take off anyway without proper compass calibration. The map view is also incomplete with just a point for the drone.
I am aware that the compass needs recalibration when the drone is moved 50km or more but it appears that I am unable to calibrate it successfully.
Any ideas?
I am sure this is not a Southern hemisphere problem.

I purchased my Mavic 2 Pro in USA, tested it after going through the tutorials, and everything worked fine.
I then brought it to my home in Argentina only to find that I am unable to calibrate the compass. I went through the instructions of moving the drone horizontally then vertically as per the diagram. The controller says 'Magnetic interference' even though I am nowhere near buildings, metal, concrete etc. Therefore I am unable to take off and would not want to take off anyway without proper compass calibration. The map view is also incomplete with just a point for the drone.
I am aware that the compass needs recalibration when the drone is moved 50km or more but it appears that I am unable to calibrate it successfully.
Any ideas?

Questions:
  1. Have you tried calibrating in more than one location?
  2. Have you checked that you are not wearing anything magnetic?
  3. Did you successfully calibrate the aircraft in the US?
  4. What do the interference levels look like in the sensors section of the GO 4 app?
If the answers to the first three questions are yes, then the compass or a component near the compass may have become magnetized during transport, and needs demagnetizing.
I am sure this is not a Southern hemisphere problem.

I've heard it said that you have to turn in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere¡

welcome to the forum
its possible that during your journey your drone got magnetised by being put through airport security devices or being placed near a powerful magnet you can get a device that will cure the issue

You might have to consider

Huge Fan of this , just need to make sure you purchase with the right cable for your drone and battery.
many times i dont bother with the Calibration and just use the C fix by itself.

I just wave it around till i get the chime , where as before I used to place it in one spot.

Sar pointed out below that in General is always good practice to to do the Recal after a Magnetic Field Change no matter.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Last edited:
Huge Fan of this , just need to make sure you purchase with the right cable for your drone and battery.
many times i dont bother with the Calibration and just use the C fix by itself.

I just wave it around till i get the chime , where as before I used to place it in one spot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

That's not good advice. After using a demagnetizer on the aircraft, whether or not it was necessary, its magnetic field will have changed, and the existing calibration will almost always be incorrect. The compass should always be recalibrated after demagnetizing.

Reactions: Gindra
That's not good advice. After using a demagnetizer on the aircraft, whether or not it was necessary, its magnetic field will have changed, and the existing calibration will almost always be incorrect. The compass should always be recalibrated after demagnetizing.

Yes If your in a good area , on the boat no so much, but in general doing the recal is good practice .
I will make an edit sar to add that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000