DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration on board a ship

Former Member

Reactions
Posting for a member @massdroner

Has anyone had experience calibrating a compass on a cruise ship?
Also has someone explored cruise line permissions for flying from a ship (I'll be on Norwegian)?
Going to Alaska this summer and want to use my Mavic Air for aerial footage of Glacier Bay and surrounding area.

Reactions: dirkclod
Coupla things. First, and notwithstanding the fact that a cruise ship is a floating box of magnetic material powered by massive generators, electric motors and stuffed full of current-carrying wires, is that DHS has a security bubble that surrounds a cruise ship while in US waters. Then there's the fact that ALL of Glacier Bay is a National Park, as is the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau so flying there will be off limits. There might be some other options along the way Skagway, stops in Canada. I'm not sure that Canada is much less restrictive in its security measures.

Reactions: pixl
You would NOT ever calibrate while on the ship. I would also not recommend flying an aircraft without a manually selectable ATTI mode from a ship, aka skip the Mavics and Spark.

Reactions: pixl
@massdroner, you shouldn't have to calibrate the compass often. If you want to calibrate anyhow, then do so from the shore before you board the ship.

GPS hold would be an issue, because the ship is moving and GPS hold does not adjust to a moving ship, the drone will remain static and the ship will keep moving ;)

Reactions: Kilrah
I can imagine it is tempting.
It's just not a good idea. I doubt if you would get permission as a tourist to fly at all.

Besides, there are a lot of cases where people lost their bird after launching from a cruise ship. One clip on youtube showed someone illegally launching a Phantom4 Pro (Atti capable) from the aft deck of a big Carnival cruise ship. When he wanted to return, the radar beam simply pushed the drone away. It was like there was a shield around the ship that the drone could not penetrate. No way he could get it back to the ship. He kept trying until the battery was low and the bird landed in the sea behind the ship. I wouldn't be surprised the crew intentionally switched on the radar to screw up the control signal.

You may want to check with your cruise line, some will not even allow them on board. [emoji29]

I can imagine it is tempting.
It's just not a good idea. I doubt if you would get permission as a tourist to fly at all.

Besides, there are a lot of cases where people lost their bird after launching from a cruise ship. One clip on youtube showed someone illegally launching a Phantom4 Pro (Atti capable) from the aft deck of a big Carnival cruise ship. When he wanted to return, the radar beam simply pushed the drone away. It was like there was a shield around the ship that the drone could not penetrate. No way he could get it back to the ship. He kept trying until the battery was low and the bird landed in the sea behind the ship. I wouldn't be surprised the crew intentionally switched on the radar to screw up the control signal.
Wow can you link the vid?

Wow can you link the vid?

OK, I read it was not a Carnival ship but just as big. Incredible moment at the end, when the drone is with its toes in the water, seeing the ship moving away, just before it goes down.
The guy stays perfectly cool though, I give him that.

Last edited:
You may want to check with your cruise line, some will not even allow them on board. [emoji29]

Royal Caribbean- also has stipulations:

They actually store your drone and give it to you upon docking, and that’s not guaranteed either. I checked for our cruise coming up. [emoji35]

OK, I read it was not a Carnival ship but just as big. Incredible moment at the end, when the drone is with its toes in the water, seeing the ship moving away, just before it goes down.
The guy stays perfectly cool though, I give him that.
I feel bad for the guy but also would smack him upside the head for being stupid. Lol. I probably would have flown it around the radius of the ship then let it drift back on in the front. But then again he was probably trying to land in the back because he knew what he was doing was frowned upon by the cruiseline. Silly wabbit Trix are for kids.

Royal Caribbean- also has stipulations:

They actually store your drone and give it to you upon docking, and that’s not guaranteed either. I checked for our cruise coming up. [emoji35]

I have a Princess cruise coming up in June and they are banded from the ship. I would be good with them storing them...checking in and out, but they say prohibited items will be destroyed. [emoji24]

Carnival has ‘drones’ listed as prohibited...meaning they will be confiscated and returned when the cruise is over.
THAT BEING SAID...I checked with Carnival regarding an upcoming 7-day cruise to Mexico and they WILL ALLOW my ‘camera drone’ to come on board in my carry-on luggage. It must be stored in my stateroom while under way, and I can take it ashore during our stops.
The distinction is Carnival defines ‘drones’ as flying toys...and ‘camera drones’ like Spark and Mavic as cameras.

I’m taking my Spark and plan on using it during a couple of shore excursions.

Last edited:
Carnival has ‘drones’ listed as prohibited...meaning they will be confiscated and returned when the cruise is over.
THAT BEING SAID...I checked with Carnival regarding an upcoming 7-day cruise to Mexico and they WILL ALLOW my ‘camera drone’ to come on board in my carry-on luggage. It must be stored in my stateroom while under way, and I can take it ashore during our stops.
The distinction is Carnival defines ‘drones’ as flying toys...and ‘camera drones’ like Spark and Mavic as cameras.

I’m taking my Spark and plan on using it during a couple of shore excursions.

Interesting information... thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh