DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration with Smart Controller

Reactions: Thomas B
The Smart Controller stays with the Drone Operator vs the Drone that feels the effects of what is causing the requirement to recalibrate the Drones Compass. I've recalibrated my Mavic 2 Pro over 30 plus times from up at 8,000' ASL in the Rocky Mountains to basically at Sea Level in the SF Bay AREA rotating the Drone only! Good Luck!!!

Reactions: Gindra
Why would you do that? When you get asked to calibrate the compass, you see the graphic showing the drone and an explanation what to do. You can also calibrate your controller, if you want, its in the settings.

Reactions: Gindra
Which compass are you asking about?
If you were wanting to calibrate the compass in your drone, you need to ratate the drone.
If you want to calibrate the compass in your smart controller, it's the smart controller that must be rotated.
What buttons or screens do I need to push or access to get to the right place, on the smart controller, to calibrate the compass on the drone. I know how to do compass calibration for the smart controller but I need detailed advice about how to get to the right place on the smart controller to initiate compass calibration on the drone.

Meta 4, Educate me, I've never heard of or read about the SC having a Compass!
Smart phones and tablets have a compass sensor so they know which way the user is facing and to allow them to display mapping etc properly.
This particularly applies to the radar display in the app you use to fly.

What buttons or screens do I need to push or access to get to the right place, on the smart controller, to calibrate the compass on the drone. I know how to do compass calibration for the smart controller but I need detailed advice about how to get to the right place on the smart controller to initiate compass calibration on the drone.
Go into the app settings and look at the Sensors section

You don't know how to access the settings?
I get the feeling, you should take a lot of time to get to know your drone in detail.
Read the manual first! Then look through all settings (go app AND controller) to see what's available and what it does.
Then, just then, you can start flying!

Sometimes I don't understand why someone buys a so expensive gadget and doesn't know the easiest things.
No offense, I just tell you this so you don't start flying and crash immediately, and maybe hurt someone...
I can't really tell you where exactly the setting is, dont have access to the controller right now, but there are just 5 instances in the settings menu, you will find it.

Reactions: Drbobk
Actually, as far as I can tell there is a glitch on the DJI Smart Controller that, for some reason, you can not calibrate the compass, even if you keep getting the red banner telling you to do this. Users who respond to this thread should only do so if you're experienced with and using the smart controller, not the standard remote and/or iPad/iPhone/Smart phone combination. The smart controller is quirky and does appear to have missing menu items. I've only been able to calibrate the compass with the standard controller/iPad/iPhone. The smart controller is also missing menu items under the 'General Settings' tab. I believe this is a software fault on the Smart Controller and it's related to the compass calibration missing. If anyone understands how to fix this please reply. I've included photos of the normal 'General Settings' menu as it appears on the DJI Go 4 App running on an iPhone and how the 'General Settings' menu looks on the Smart Controller DJI GO 4 app; you will see on the smart controller there are a bunch of missing menu items/icons. All software/firmware on the smart controller is showing as up to date.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.PNG
    IMG_0118.PNG
    563.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I have no problems with running a drone compass calibration from the SC and DJIGO4. I am not running latest firmware instead one release back. I regularly run the compass calibration as I tend to often be over 30 miles from the previous flight. This always prompts the compass calibration error.

Maybe something changed with latest firmware?

Paul C

Nothing changes, I can still calibrate what ever I want.
If you can't, your controller is broken, try to reset it or send it to dji.
There is no way these options just disappear.

PROBLEM SOLVED: This issue happens when the Smart Controller is set as the secondary RC and not the Primary RC. All I did to fix the problem was relink the remote and set the Smart Controller to 'Primary' and voila, the menu reappeared and so did the compass calibration.

So, just to recap; if the smart controller is set as the Secondary RC then it will knock out a whole bunch of control options and menu items, including the compass calibration. I'm not sure why DJI would've set the controllers up to function this way, I'm just glad to know now why this was happening.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aodgizmo