DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration

Mymgb

Reactions
i have been an owner pilot of a Phantom 3 Standard. When I began flying, I learned to set my compass location manually before each flight to bring the P3S drone Home. However, as I prepare to purchase a MAVIC Pro, the videos appear to avoid starting your flight with a compass calibration before flying although you can do so. So,am I correct in thinking that once you start up DJ GO4 app, it assigns the new Home position despite the fact you may move to different locations?

A home point is only set once after the Mavic has been powered on and it connects to enough GPS satellites. Starting or restarting the DJI GO app will not set/reset the home point.

i have been an owner pilot of a Phantom 3 Standard. When I began flying, I learned to set my compass location manually before each flight to bring the P3S drone Home. However, as I prepare to purchase a MAVIC Pro, the videos appear to avoid starting your flight with a compass calibration before flying although you can do so. So,am I correct in thinking that once you start up DJ GO4 app, it assigns the new Home position despite the fact you may move to different locations?
Howdy from Wyoming Mymgb, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Thanks Pilots,as I understand it, if I fly in the morning at location 1 then fly in the afternoon at a totally different location, I still need to go through the calibration process as done with P3S. Ordered my MAVIC today based on recommendation AND Msinger,too. Great helpful people here and forum

You shouldn't have to calibrate the compass often. It won't hurt anything if you choose to do it often though.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

You should not calibrate the compass if there is no need for it, which would be:

- you have moved more than about 150km from the location where it was calibrated before
- GO4 app asks for calibration
- the Mavic was near magnetic fields, e.g. electric wires, a speaker in your car
- check by slowly flying your Mavic a few metres forward and backward, calibrate if the Mavic will not go straight or drift to one side a bit after stopping by releasing the stick

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.

I calibrate if it asked me to or if I travel 100 miles or more from the last place flown.

Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170418/Mavic+Pro+User+Manual_V1.6.pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

You should not calibrate the compass if there is no need for it, which would be:
...... - check by slowly flying your Mavic a few metres forward and backward, calibrate if the Mavic will not go straight or drift to one side a bit after stopping by releasing the stick

Regarding the last item, that is something I was looking for as a sanity check for the compass. That is something I used to observe when launching the H502S, if it didn't fly straight, it needed a redo.

On the mavic, it also has downward vision, so wouldn't that need to be disabled in order for the "straight" check to be valid (assuming launch check is done at low altitude)?

On the mavic, it also has downward vision, so wouldn't that need to be disabled in order for the "straight" check to be valid (assuming launch check is done at low altitude)?
To my experience no need for disabling VPS for doing this test.

- you have moved more than about 150km from the location where it was calibrated before
Mavic / P2 - out of box - from UK to southern tip of Italy with each over 4 / 1 years - yet to do, or need, a compass calibration on either.
So over-hyped
I think people often introduce more errors from doing them than they're trying to eradicate.
My opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arny