DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration

What makes you think it needs to be calibrated each time you fly?

Reactions: Thomas B
What are you using to carry your drone?

For 6 months I used a Pgytech bag then meant the air was on its side, had to calibrate the compass nearly every time. Then a couple of months ago swapped to the Fly More Combo bag that transports it flat and I've not had to do it since. The bag is the only thing that has changed

What makes you think it needs to be calibrated each time you fly?

Because it requires me to calibrate it before it will let me fly almost every time. Also when I calibrate the horizontal (the first step), it always is successful on the first try, but when trying to calibrate the second step (standing on its side), it always fails two or three times before it finally succeeds the calibration.

What are you using to carry your drone?

For 6 months I used a Pgytech bag then meant the air was on its side, had to calibrate the compass nearly every time. Then a couple of months ago swapped to the Fly More Combo bag that transports it flat and I've not had to do it since. The bag is the only thing that has changed

I’ve always used the fly more bag, my drone is always upright except when I have to calibrate the compass on its side ( the 2nd step of calibration)

I always have to calibrate my campus on my Mavic Air, I think you have to because of its precision landing on return to home but that is just a guess.

I always have to calibrate my campus on my Mavic Air, I think you have to because of its precision landing on return to home but that is just a guess.

The compass has nothing to do with precision landing - that's not the reason.

Reactions: Steve Murray
Because it requires me to calibrate it before it will let me fly almost every time. Also when I calibrate the horizontal (the first step), it always is successful on the first try, but when trying to calibrate the second step (standing on its side), it always fails two or three times before it finally succeeds the calibration.

The answer to your question will be in the mobile device DAT file event stream log:

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Reactions: Thomas B and awsan5

I had a similar problem, having tried everything I could think of and following all the advice given sort of standing in a field start naked it turns out it was my hearing aids causing the problem.

Wrong, I (and many others) hardly ever need to calibrate the compass. This is a well warn subject that has loads of threads on it.

Well, what do you think the problem is?
Does this happen regardless from where you take off from? If routinely the same place, might be local magnetic influence.
Do you wear a digital watch? Don't when handling / flying your MA
Have you ever placed your MA near a speaker or other strong magnetic source? Might need to degauss your MA.

Example thread on subject

Last edited:
Mine does the same. Always carried in the flymore bag and I always take it away from my phone and the controller when performing the calibration and use the rear led on the MA to tell when it’s time to tilt it for the second section of the calibration.

Guess I must be one of the lucky ones. In 4 months of owning mine I have never calibrated the compass.
Twice on powering up the Air I have been asked to re calibrate. I powered off the Air, moved a few feet away, powered the Air back up and all was ok.

To be fair I move around a lot so don’t normally fly in the same place more than once in a week or so and can be 100 miles away the day after.

Guess I must be one of the lucky ones. In 4 months of owning mine I have never calibrated the compass.
Twice on powering up the Air I have been asked to re calibrate. I powered off the Air, moved a few feet away, powered the Air back up and all was ok.

Same, the only time I've been prompted to re-calibrate the compass is when it's been in storage for a prolonged period of time or I am standing in an area that is interfering with the compass. My understanding of being repeatedly asked to re-calibrate is that you should preference diagnosing why before doing it, as if you constantly re-calibrate chances are one of those re-calibrations will be while subject to interference which is one of the causes of flyaways? Am I talking nonsense? Did I make this up?

Do you wear a metal watch on the hand and hold the drone with that hand while it is on?

I've had similar issues but then started being more cognizant as to how I am holding the drone when I first turn on the Air's power. I have made it a point to make sure I'm holding it close to level when I first push the power button. That approach has worked so far. I also immediately place it on the pad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400