DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sheds141

Reactions
I know this topic has been done to death but I was wondering if anyone has had issues calibrating their compass in the mountains. I am in Geiranger, Norway at the moment and had a scary experience with my drone where it had compass warnings out over water a few 100 meters behind a cruise ship and the on the flight home disconnected from the app and Fell into Atti mode. By shear luck the remote still had connection and I flew it home blind as it was about 500m away from me. It was then doing massive toilet bowl spins. I managed to get it on the ground but it was a close call. I seemed to get it under control when I got close to ground and the vision system kicked in but it almost flew into my face. It was very hard to control.

Now there were two cruise ships in the fjord at the time and one was not yet moored. I thought it was because of the ships that my drone had issues but I flew it a few more times and had issues. I recalibrate the drone's compass away from all magnetic interference and tried again. All went well until the end of the flight. Again TBE and compass errors. There was another mavic pilot near by, so I went to talk to him and ask if he had issues. He said he had no problems. He didn't speak much English but managed to say "the rock is bad" referring to all the cliffs and rocks in the fjord. So I am wondering if anyone has heard of rock messing with the compass? Or having issues flying near cruise ships? As a rule should I calibrate away from large boulders and cliffs? I am moving on from this fjord tomorrow and will recalibrate the compass in a field somewhere because I am just too spooked to try again here.

Please let me know if you have had a similar issue.

Tom

I would love to but The dji assitant 2 computer software doesn't really work on my Mac. I can't download the logs and this seems to be a bit of a common issue.

Once you get a clean gps setting I would not do it again unless your asked too . I have not done mine for more than 15 flights . Doing to often just opens the door for a contaminated gps setting

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada