DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

compass or magnetic? Which should I use and why?

Magnetic heading.
A compass heading incorporates the errors intrinsic to the compass and it’s installation location, in fact the compass needs to be “swung” i.e. calibrated in its operational location such as the instrument panel of the airplane/helicopter in which it is installed.

Magnetic heading.
A compass heading incorporates the errors intrinsic to the compass and it’s installation location, in fact the compass needs to be “swung” i.e. calibrated in its operational location such as the instrument panel of the airplane/helicopter in which it is installed.
My question was which setting should I use in the DJI Fly app? I have a private pilot license and know what the difference is between compass and magnetic because of variation and deviation. I just don't know which setting the app requires or if it even matters.

Sorry, I only have a Mini and do not have that type of selection.
The selection is in the DJI Fly app that I use to fly my Mavic mini. I don't know if it matters which one I choose. What do you use?

DJI Fly, but I don’t remember a setting for Compass or Magnetic.
I will have to get it out and turn it on to look for that setting.

In the dJI Fly settup should I choose compass or magnetic and why?
A screen shot might help.
I've never seen such a setting before on other DJI drones and can't think what it might be for.

A screen shot might help.
I've never seen such a setting before on other DJI drones and can't think what it might be for.
I just looked for the setting and it is no longer there. Up until this morning there was an option to choose either compass or magnetic. It may have been deleted in a firmware update. I guess I don't need to worry about it anymore.

I just looked for the setting and it is no longer there. Up until this morning there was an option to choose either compass or magnetic. It may have been deleted in a firmware update. I guess I don't need to worry about it anymore.

I think that you must be misremembering, because that choice would make no sense at all. Some navigation programs allow you to choose between true and magnetic for heading display, but even that isn't applicable here since the app doesn't display heading.

Also, it was not in the previous firmware version (1.0.8) either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin