DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compatible device...?

dajain

Reactions
Since I have my own business and my cell phone gets a lot of use, I find myself not flying the drone nearly as much as I want to so I'm looking at getting another device.

So, here's the question. I found a display model LG G6 cell phone for under $50. The catch is the phone has had it's IMEI removed so it can not be activated as a phone, BUT the phone is fully functioning with WIFI.

I see the G6 is compatible with the fly app and since the app is WIFI based, my thinking is I should be just fine with getting this phone as a "drone only" device. Just like when I got the drone, I would have to connect to the internet with the new device to activate the app and should be good to go after that, Right?

Am I wrong in my thinking process or do I have the thumbs up from the crowd?

Thank you in advance!

Since I have my own business and my cell phone gets a lot of use, I find myself not flying the drone nearly as much as I want to so I'm looking at getting another device.

So, here's the question. I found a display model LG G6 cell phone for under $50. The catch is the phone has had it's IMEI removed so it can not be activated as a phone, BUT the phone is fully functioning with WIFI.

I see the G6 is compatible with the fly app and since the app is WIFI based, my thinking is I should be just fine with getting this phone as a "drone only" device. Just like when I got the drone, I would have to connect to the internet with the new device to activate the app and should be good to go after that, Right?

Thank you in advance!

You won’t have access to maps unless you cache them via WiFi before you head out but they’re not critical.

Reactions: dajain

Thank you in advance!
Or: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" (2019), 32GB, Black (Wi-Fi)

Reactions: dajain
I already ordered the G6. For $40, it will be nice freeing up my phone so I can fly more often.

You won’t have access to maps unless you cache them via WiFi before you head out but they’re not critical.
Most of the time, where I fly, there isn't cell service anyways so I really have never used the maps. I am usually flying above the landscape and taking some footage so the wife can see some of our beautiful back country.

But there is a lot of times I want to fly, but the fear of a phone call coming in has always stopped me from taking off.

I've also used it to locate stranded motorist a few times in the desert. They are ALWAYS happy to see a drone show up. That means someone is close. That was a big help from this little guy.

Reactions: CYNIC and SkyeHigh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123