DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Concerns

bkushner

Reactions
So is anyone else concerned that the camera, while gaining a 2nd camera lost sensor size and MP size from 20 to 12???

Nope.

Comparisons between the Mini3P ans A2S have people lining up on both sides, the tech in the dual-amp Omnivision sensor is several generations more advanced than the 1" 20MP A2S sensor and demosaicing software can compensate for the larger interpolation errors with a quad-bayer filter.

There are valid counterpoints to many of these arguments, so there's plenty of debate. What isn't debatable is a direct comparison of sensor size as a means of comparing performance and capability is simplistic, and not very helpful.

Personally, I find I like the results from my Mini3P over my A2S more often than not. So, for me, I don't feel like I'm losing image capability with the Mini3P, and hence my A2S doesn't see a lot of action these days.

I've seen a few reviews that I knew would be available at 9:05 am this morning. Apparently the smaller sensor on the Air 3 has new technology that more than makes up for the smaller size.
I've seen low-light comparisons between the new model and the Air 2s and it's absolutely no contest in favor of the Air 3. And some reviewers have gotten a legitimate 40 minutes of flight time already.
That's twice as long than I've ever seen on my now sold Air 2s. I bought the new model first thing this morning.

You're assuming the Omnivision sensor is the same generation and specs as the over a year old sensor in the Mini3P. And that the GPU processing the data is the same, with the same firmware.

I'm not.

Reactions: Kiwicbrthou
No you can't beat physics, no matter how many generations newer the sensor is.

Seems like many are speculating on an Air3S which would have a 1-inch sensor again.

Reactions: pommy and honkihonk
No you can't beat physics, no matter how many generations newer the sensor is.

Seems like many are speculating on an Air3S which would have a 1-inch sensor again.
The only thing you can say is, that the same sensor as a 1" version would be even better.

But it's absolut no secret, that for example newer APSC sensors are better than older full frame sensors.

Pixel dimensions are the most important determinant Of image quality. More pixels mean bigger high quality prints. Sensor size only impacts the noise that the sensor itself generates. The newer sensors are much quieter, so that the smaller size is less important.

The important measurement here is signal to noise ratio, which DJI doesn’t publish.

Reactions: costica1234
Pixel dimensions are the most important determinant Of image quality. More pixels mean bigger high quality prints. Sensor size only impacts the noise that the sensor itself generates. The newer sensors are much quieter, so that the smaller size is less important.

The important measurement here is signal to noise ratio, which DJI doesn’t publish.
Not really. The LENS in front of that sensor plays a HUGE part in quality.

They are both required, depending on the resolution of the sensor. It becomes a tradeoff depending on your target audience and presentation method. Most current lenses are far better than the sensors receiving the image, so focussing on the pair working together is the only thing that makes creative sense.

How the imagery looks and responds to editing/corrections is the most important aspect of quality. If it looks good it is good.

Hey my iPhone 14 Pro Max has a newer sensor and all kinds of processing power for portrait mode, night mode and so on.

But it doesn't produce better pictures than my Nikon Z7, which I purchased over 5 years ago.

Because technology can't trump the laws of physics or optics.

They have hundreds of engineers working on cameras in phones, spend probably millions in R&D every year. But since they can't put in bigger sensors in phones, they can't overcome the way digital imaging works because it is also based on physics, optics.

Hey my iPhone 14 Pro Max has a newer sensor and all kinds of processing power for portrait mode, night mode and so on.

But it doesn't produce better pictures than my Nikon Z7, which I purchased over 5 years ago.

They have hundreds of engineers working on cameras in phones, spend probably millions in R&D every year. But since they can't put in bigger sensors in phones, they can't overcome the way digital imaging works because it is also based on physics, optics.
How did an iphone come into the picture here,sigh.Please just wait for more honest reviews to come
out before you bash the Air 3 too much more.In the end you may be eating your words.

Reactions: Torque
Because it's as silly as your claim that new technology means better than larger sensors.

Sensor tech hasn't advanced as much as you'd like and DJI isn't even putting the best sensor parts in a consumer drone.

If sensor size doesn't matter, why did they put in a MFT sensor in their higher end drones?

Come on, Air 3 is a newer product and has newer technology than the M3, ergo it must be better!

AI will even the score in less than 5 years.Your Apple/**** Tracy watch will equal full frame sensors.Well if the full frame sensor is not AI assisted.

Sure AI.

Tell AI to make a panorama image or a 8K HDR video from 1000 feet above central Paris.

That way you don't even have to fly a drone and anyways, we're not allowed to fly drones over Paris.

So who needs to buy drones any more?

You don't even need a camera. Adobe is developing AI features for PhotoShop.

AI can make photorealistic images from scratch. No need to deal with cameras and going outdoors to capture new imagery.

• Sad
Reactions: Drone alone.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun