DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused on Zones and authorization

johnfak75

Reactions
Looking to fly just north of my house ....... at < 100ft .......... its marshland - no houses or sttucture.
Says its Zone D ....... and it makes it look like you can apply for LAANC exception .......... but then when you do it says its over the 0 foot limit.

So allowed or not allowed with planned flight time and exception ?
Recreational flier looking to area scribbled in black.

drone.jpg

This doc suggests its still possible to get approval - just not via LAANC ?

"
It is also worth mentioning that in this example, the flight grid we selected immediately becomes 0 ft AGL one quadrant to the right. And one and two quadrants to the left, you’ll see max altitudes of 100 ft. AGL and then 300 ft. AGL.

In the 0 ft. AGL grid, you wouldn’t be able to get near-instant authorization through LAANC. But you’d still apply through that system, knowing that you’ll eventually be asked to provide more information"

I'm a little confused about your question. In the image in your first post, the position marked with the black squiggle is definitely in the 0 Ft. area (not surprising given how close it is to the airport). You can request clearance the the FAA DroneZone, but I believe you will need to explain how you will conduct the flight safely that close to the airport, and approval will take time.

To the right of your mark there is a 400 Ft. area. You could get clearance there using LAANC. Or just to the north there is a 200 Ft. area, which also would allow you to get clearance through LAANC.

Really just is it possible to fly there with some exception/approval …. Says 0ft…. But that link says can still get approval

If you're 107, you can apply for a manual LAANC approval, or apply for a 107.41 Airspace Authorization via the Drone Zone.

If you're a recreational flyer, you can't fly in a 0'AGL grid.

Reactions: Paint Rock Drones
Ahhh….. that makes sense … but kinda sucks.

If you do get 107 is it generally easy to get approval to fly in these zones?

Ahhh….. that makes sense … but kinda sucks.

If you do get 107 is it generally easy to get approval to fly in these zones?
It’s the same for both of you’re flying under the max AGL.

If you're 107, you can apply for a manual LAANC approval, or apply for a 107.41 Airspace Authorization via the Drone Zone.

If you're a recreational flyer, you can't fly in a 0'AGL grid.
How do you apply for manual LAANC approval in 0'AGL grid?

Really just is it possible to fly there with some exception/approval …. Says 0ft…. But that link says can still get approval
Looking at the map - you're just too close to the runway for take-off / land at that airport and doubtful you can get clearance being that close. Suggest you move to where the 200 or 400 ft AGL is available - which is not in direct zone of the runway.

How do you apply for manual LAANC approval in 0'AGL grid?
I don't believe LAANC can do that. The only way to get clearance in 0' AGL is through FAA DroneZone. I believe that requires justification and a safety plan, which would be very challenging in a place, as observed by @johnfak75, is so close to the runway approach/departure path. Perhaps not impossible for a part 107 certified pilot with a job to do, but even then challenging.

The rules today are much more flexible than when drone flying was banned within 5 miles of all airports, but there are still areas that are in accessible. There will probably always be such places, just like there are places where crewed aircraft are not allowed.

It’s the same for both of you’re flying under the max AGL.
I don't believe LAANC can do that. The only way to get clearance in 0' AGL is through FAA DroneZone. I believe that requires justification and a safety plan, which would be very challenging in a place, as observed by @johnfak75, is so close to the runway approach/departure path. Perhaps not impossible for a part 107 certified pilot with a job to do, but even then challenging.

The rules today are much more flexible than when drone flying was banned within 5 miles of all airports, but there are still areas that are in accessible. There will probably always be such places, just like there are places where crewed aircraft are not allowed.
After encountering so many messages about authorization zones, warning zones, zero altitude zones, getting permissions, etc… and flying anyway, I started getting a bit nervous about the system catching up with me. So I got my part 107. Not for money. Studying for the test require learning the rules, restrictions, requesting waivers and clearances, etc Now, whenever I need to get an authorization to fly In the airspace of the nearby airport, it takes less than a minute for them to grant it. I also learned about weather, night flying and all kinds of other neat stuff. It’s a time consuming process with three or four weeks of working at a leisurely pace. You’ll have to decide if it’s worth it for you.

You can use LAANC for a 0'AGL grid or above the AGL Max. I do it with Skyward, but I have an account. You can do it with others as well. However, it's not instant. I usually apply for one at least 3-4 days before I need it.

You can use LAANC for a 0'AGL grid or above the AGL Max. I do it with Skyward, but I have an account. You can do it with others as well. However, it's not instant. I usually apply for one at least 3-4 days before I need it.
Huh. I poked around a bit further and found it is available in Aloft too. It just has to be done at least 24 hours in advance. Restricted areas it says no go, but 0 Ft. areas are possible. Thanks for the correction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna