DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confusion over start-up procedure

Londroner

Reactions
I have just set up my new Mavic Pro for the first time and had a major struggle to do so. First I could not get my Remote Controller to work with the app let alone connect to the Mavic. What is the correct procedure? I did the following:
  1. Slid my iPhone into the RC cradle.
  2. Launched app on iPhone.
  3. Turned on RC.
  4. Turned on Mavic
I initially couldn't get the app to recognise the RC and vice versa. The RC would turn on, show the Battery Level and then shutdown. I tried using the built in cable and then an Apple cable plugged into the USB port of the RC. I even tried using the app on a different iPhone. Nothing seemed to work.

Somehow I got it all working (don't know how) but am very wary of getting it all started again.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I haven't had a problem no matter what order I follow. As far as the remote turning on and only showing the battery level. Were you sure to do the proper power on sequence. Quick press and then long press the power button? Also if you want to use the bottom USB port make sure to unplug the cable from the side of the remote.

Reactions: Scarab69
The correct sequence should be
ON... RC, Mavic, app
OFF....Mavic, RC, app

When turning on: App, then RC, then Drone.

You always want the control system on before you turn the controlled system on.

So: display/management, then controller, then vehicle.

Reactions: M4RK
I have just set up my new Mavic Pro for the first time and had a major struggle to do so. First I could not get my Remote Controller to work with the app let alone connect to the Mavic. What is the correct procedure? I did the following:
  1. Slid my iPhone into the RC cradle.
  2. Launched app on iPhone.
  3. Turned on RC.
  4. Turned on Mavic
I initially couldn't get the app to recognise the RC and vice versa. The RC would turn on, show the Battery Level and then shutdown. I tried using the built in cable and then an Apple cable plugged into the USB port of the RC. I even tried using the app on a different iPhone. Nothing seemed to work.

Somehow I got it all working (don't know how) but am very wary of getting it all started again.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

That's fine. We've all had startup issues of one sort or another. Occasionally the App won't connect to the RC, less often the RC won't connect to the drone. No issue.

A helpful checklist

I've had several DJI products over the years , I'd say compared to the rest the Mavic remote can be a little tricky I notice it more in turning it off , but yes it's the timing between the "press & hold" that could be difficult for some...

Not the correct sequence, but each to his own

No. Least critical item is the app. Fire it up first.
Most critical item is the MP. Fire it up last.
RC in the middle.

Not saying the world will end otherwise. The most important thing is the MP is fired up last before takeoff - and powered off first after landing before the others.

Reactions: Greenflash
Not the correct sequence, but each to his own
What makes you so adamant you have derived the "THE" correct sequence?

...The most important thing is the MP is fired up last before takeoff - and powered off first after landing before the others.
I agree this in the most important thing too.

I use app, Mavic, rc. Never had an issue. Sometimes on subsequent flights I turn on rc, then Mavic. Still no issues. But, as a rule I fire up the Mavic then the rc.

The RC would turn on, show the Battery Level and then shutdown.

I think the problem may not be the sequence of how you turn it on. It sounds like you didn't press it once and press and hold to turn on your controller. Maybe it would be good to have a read thru the user manual again just to make sure you are aware of how your mavic functions.

The correct sequence should be
ON... RC, Mavic, app
OFF....Mavic, RC, app

During ON procedure, as the RC connects to the Mavic the app pops up by itself (Android)

I also use the following sequence:

ON: RC, Mavic, app (autaunches once Mavic connects to RC).

OFF: Mavic, RC, App

Have never had a single issue with failure to connect or anything like that.

-Joe

Reactions: Nigpd
No. Least critical item is the app. Fire it up first.
Most critical item is the MP. Fire it up last.
RC in the middle.

Not saying the world will end otherwise. The most important thing is the MP is fired up last before takeoff - and powered off first after landing before the others.

I'd argue that RC is first, Mavic in the middle, and app last. The app is the least important and is not even needed for safe controlled flight. Plus since the Mavic usually takes a little bit of time to calibrate camera and sync with satellites, it's more efficient to let the RC and Mavic make their connections while you get the device/app mounted and up and running. By the time you've done that the aircraft is usually ready to go.

The correct sequence comes from two things. Safety and logic.

Obviously the MP should be turned on last and turned off first - that is an old safety rule that has its roots in the RC world and other systems.

Then logically, the RC should be on before the MP and turned off after the MP.

Then (logically), the app should be turned on first (since it can't control anything* in the absence of the RC) and turned off last for the same reason.

These things are driven by safety and logic. Not by "what's worked for me".

*Obviously not referring to WiFi control of the MP from the app...

Visualize it as a chain:
upload_2017-8-16_14-15-36.png

I'd argue that RC is first, Mavic in the middle, and app last. The app is the least important and is not even needed for safe controlled flight.

You prove my point with the second sentence - so obviously the app (least important/least safety impact) gets turned on first. See my other post today.

Reactions: DougBlueSkies
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143