DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Connection requirements

Cl1nt71

Reactions
Newbie here, so sorry for this question if it is obvious for some of you. I use my old galaxy S8 phone (no carrier service) as a dedicated device just for my MA. I connect it to the controller and everything has worked fine the first few flights while here at the house. I took a trip to a family members house that lives way out in the country and has no wifi and very poor cell service. When powering up my MA to fly I had a hell of a time trying to connect to the MA, only after I created a hotspot on my normal phone and connected the phone I use for flying to it was I able.to get a connection. Do I have to have a wifi or cell connection in order to connect and fly? I see a lot of videos of footage that are very remote so I assume it is something with my setup. I also realize that I would need a connection of some sort in order for it to show maps, etc. I was just given a tab E and plan on now using that, but curious as to the proper way to setup and connect when flying remotely with no wifi or cell service. Thanks in advance!

Do I have to have a wifi or cell connection in order to connect and fly?
No. However, if not connected to the Internet, you will not be able to use any features that require an Internet connection (like downloading maps in real-time).

I also realize that I would need a connection of some sort in order for it to show maps
If you cannot connect to the Internet while flying, you can cache the maps like this before heading out to fly.

Reactions: Cl1nt71
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun