DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering Mavic as first "real" drone

15boolah

Reactions
Hello All!
I do apologize if I am posting this in any wrong places or if I missed a preexisting thread.
I am considering buying the Mavic Pro as my first real foray into a consumer grade drone. However, all of this talk about app updates and limitations, not to mention the horror stories of DJI customer service has me kind of worried.
I guess my real question is, if any of you had to do it all over again, would you still go with the Mavic?
Thank you!

Hands down, yes!! An amazing piece of tech. As long as DJI don't shackle it too much in the future.

Reactions: 15boolah
Yes.
Like any new technology you just have to take extra care and time to learn how to use it correctly.
Really shouldn't just unpack it and throw it in the air.

No ragrets... not even one letter! :)

Awesome! Thank you for the replies!
I do apologize about not finding that poll! I am still new to how forums work and their proper etiquette!
Yeah, the more I start to look at reviews and horror stories, the more I start to realize that somebody might've missed a step in setup or just plain threw the booklet away.
Thank you all again! I might've just found a candidate for my first 'big boy' drone!

Hello All!
I do apologize if I am posting this in any wrong places or if I missed a preexisting thread.
I am considering buying the Mavic Pro as my first real foray into a consumer grade drone. However, all of this talk about app updates and limitations, not to mention the horror stories of DJI customer service has me kind of worried.
I guess my real question is, if any of you had to do it all over again, would you still go with the Mavic?
Thank you!

Yes indeedy

Go for it! Most posts on forums tend to be a little negative, it's a place to vent frustration.

I got one of the first Mavics, it performs perfectly never 'flown away' any getting into trouble has been self inflicted. I have never crashed it and its on its original props. Around 50 hours flight time since I got him.

It has always had the most uptodate Firmware, yes there have been some duffers but .700 is fine, don't be afraid of it.

I fly it enthusiastically and have had some close shaves!

The key thing is, make sure you understand it's capabilities and more importantly its and your limitations.

Out of the box, the only thing you need to do is a good compass calibration all the other stuff is largely not necessary read up, fully charge it, start with beginner mode and enjoy it. The manual has a section entitled 'Test Flight' follow it for your first flights and you will have a trouble free start to Mavic flying.

Always check the home point when it takes off and remember that Return to Home is not a save all, it's an assistant. You're the pilot, the buck stops with you if it goes belly up. Yes there can be failures, breakdowns and faults. Like any tech, it can go wrong. Miscalculating the remaining battery and dumping it in a lake is poor airmanship! Understand the weather, particularly wind! It can be your friend flying downwind towards you rather than into wind towards you.

There are so many pilot error losses it really is amazing when you read about them.

Yes, yes ,yes repeat! I even gave it a name.
Only calibrated compass once, first flight. I fly it since mid December, never anything worrying and if it ever happens im sure its my bad.
Just do not rely on DJI cs too much. They are quite crappy because they have to compensate for how good DJI is making drones.

This is a great drone. Portability, intelligent flight features, control and a nice camera.

Right now the craft will only restrict you from flying in No Fly Zones.

The camera will take some setting tweaking to achieve the desired image.

Thank you all for the replies! I have never seen a community this friendly toward newcomers! I really appreciate it guys! I know that I will have more questions later on after I get my Mavic, but I am not worried at all due to a great forum and community.
Thank you again!
Boolah

Reactions: Rabid Machina
Welp, I thought I had it figured out, it now I have just ran across the issue of finding an authorized dealer... I had preferred to go through amazon since they usually have great policies for defective and/or damaged goods... Is Amazon itself a registered DJI dealer?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prits_uk2002