DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Constant login in External HD

Rchawks

Reactions
What gives. I have a G drive 2 TB external drive with 900 plus mb of data on it. Everytime I delete or try to move a file I'm having to use my login and it's getting old. I wanted to use the remaining space for Drone AP but I haven't a clue how to fix this. I'm on a mac. Any suggestions?

No idea if you are using a mac, PC no problem but a mac well it's Apple say no more ;)
No problem on a Mac either. Each drive appears separately on the desktop.... I have 20 TB in 2 aftermarket drive plugged into my iMac via USB and Ethernet....
the OP’s problem has never happened to me... using Apple/Mac since 1978 Apple 2e.

recommend checking the manual for your computer or contacting support for your computer and/ or OS you are using.

sounds like a GDrive problem... neither Lacie nor Pegasus will cause the described nuisance.

What file format (exfat, FAT32, HFS+, APFS) is the drive using? I've seen this problem a couple of times on Windows with NTFS formatted external USB drives where the file permissions were corrupted, read access was fine but any change (writes, deletes or moves) would trigger the Windows UAC prompt (the Windows equivalent of what you're seeing). For some reason the permissions weren't sticking so the UAC prompt would set the permissions for that operation but on the next one, it would need another UAC prompt. Normally you can simply go into the root directory and reset all the permissions from there but that didn't work either.

I was concerned there might be a physical drive problem as weird issues like this often signal a bigger problem coming but the drives seemed ok so I reformatted them and that resolved the issue.

I'm not sure whether this applies to an Apple system and I've much less general experience with them but I'd check the file permissions are correct on the files that need the prompt.

Reactions: Rchawks
Resetting NTFS permissions can be tricky. Usually permission on an external drive is Everyone, but if you set permission to specific users or even Administrators, they don't associate with users on a different PC. SIDs of local accounts are different across PCs. Exception is the original Administrator and some other system accounts.
Also every folder has a permissions entry so if you hit a subfolder that you don't have permission for, then you have to manually override as admin and reset, then repeat for subfolders under it.
Even more, since Win 7, Windows will still block you from accessing subfolders/files even if you're a member of the Administrators group and that group has permission, though it will allow you to change permission.

UAC normally just prompts yes/no if you're logged in as a user with admin rights, but Win 10 can be set to always have you log in for UAC response. A company I worked for had this set in group policy. It was most annoying as I was in the IT department and half of what I needed to do triggered the prompt.

In the cases I mentioned something had gone wrong with the permissions as they'd never been set to anything than default everyone access and it's usually easy to reset permissions if you're just wanting them back to default, you can reset the owner to ensure access to sub folders. Once the drives were formatted they behaved normally with standard permissions and no UAC prompts. Which is why I was wondering if something similar has happened for the OP because it's not the standard behaviour with OSX either.

Got it. All I had to do was change to read and write for everyone with padlock unlocked. Perfect. Pretty simple really, but I wasn't sure how to fix it. Now I do thanks you all very much. It was really frustrating.?Thumbswayup

Got it. All I had to do was change to read and write for everyone with padlock unlocked. Perfect. Pretty simple really, but I wasn't sure how to fix it. Now I do thanks you all very much. It was really frustrating.?Thumbswayup

Great to hear you're sorted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes