DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controlled Airspace Authorization Clarification

jbhg30

Reactions
Hello! This is my first post here so I apologize if this isn't the correct spot.

I'm new to drone flying and me and my girlfriend recently got a Mavic Mini. There's an area near where I live that I/we would like to photograph that's within a class D airspace. The relevant airport is not LAANC equipped so I submitted a request through the faadronezone website. Originally, I filed for permission starting today (jan 14th) from noon to 4pm with an end date of today as well. The request was approved but amended to make the start date tomorrow (jan 15th) and the end date feb 15th. Am I correct in understanding that the way this is worded, it's granting me permission to fly within the approved area every day between Jan 15th and Feb 15th between noon and 4pm?

As a private pilot myself, I have a very deep respect for the rules and desire to follow them to the T. Not only is my pilots license potentially on the line, but I did the part 107 addon so I have that certification as well. Thanks for the help!

- See the photo that's hopefully attached for clarification assuming I didn't mess that up :p

Attachments

• Screenshot (59)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (59)_LI.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Gindra and BigAl07
Hello! This is my first post here so I apologize if this isn't the correct spot.

I'm new to drone flying and me and my girlfriend recently got a Mavic Mini. There's an area near where I live that I/we would like to photograph that's within a class D airspace. The relevant airport is not LAANC equipped so I submitted a request through the faadronezone website. Originally, I filed for permission starting today (jan 14th) from noon to 4pm with an end date of today as well. The request was approved but amended to make the start date tomorrow (jan 15th) and the end date feb 15th. Am I correct in understanding that the way this is worded, it's granting me permission to fly within the approved area every day between Jan 15th and Feb 15th between noon and 4pm?

As a private pilot myself, I have a very deep respect for the rules and desire to follow them to the T. Not only is my pilots license potentially on the line, but I did the part 107 addon so I have that certification as well. Thanks for the help!

- See the photo that's hopefully attached assuming I didn't mess that up :p
Yes you got a 1 month clearance. If you want, when DorneZone sends the renewal notice you can get up to 2 years clearance . That’s what I did for my main practice area.

Yes you got a 1 month clearance. If you want, when DorneZone sends the renewal notice you can get up to 2 years clearance . That’s what I did for my main practice area.

Wow, I had no idea they'd clear you for that long inside a controlled airspace! Would it be possible to get clearance for the entire controlled airspace (minus any restricted areas very close to the airport) or do they only clear for smaller areas? I only requested a 1/2nm radius because that's plenty for what I had in mind for this mission.

Wow, I had no idea they'd clear you for that long inside a controlled airspace! Would it be possible to get clearance for the entire controlled airspace (minus any restricted areas very close to the airport) or do they only clear for smaller areas? I only requested a 1/2nm radius because that's plenty for what I had in mind for this mission.
Not sure of the area available. Of note, mine encroaches on 2 NFZ’s... one uses LAANC, the other doesn’t but most important, you don’t have to ask DJI (which I have never done and won’t) and you don’t need AirMap or Kittyhawk either. Enjoy!

Not sure of the area available. Of note, mine encroaches on 2 NFZ’s... one uses LAANC, the other doesn’t but most important, you don’t have to ask DJI (which I have never done and won’t) and you don’t need AirMap or Kittyhawk either. Enjoy!

Sounds good, thanks for your help :)

Reactions: Thomas B
@jbhg30 I had requested authorization for a specific area with in Class D airspace for real estate photography. Received a call from the FAA. Women was very helpful and friendly. Not only did she extended my dates out for a year she gave me area wide authorization for the entire controlled airspace.

@jbhg30 I had requested authorization for a specific area with in Class D airspace for real estate photography. Received a call from the FAA. Women was very helpful and friendly. Not only did she extended my dates out for a year she gave me area wide authorization for the entire controlled airspace.
They can give one for 2 years... and it’s “one click” renewable. I have one. Only us FAA DroneZone.... never have ever asked DJI for any flying permission on my M2P... and won’t after reading the grief people have had.

That's awesome! maybe once this one runs out/next time I file for an authorization, I'll push my luck and see if they'll authorize the whole airspace.

@jbhg30 - Are you flying on the Cape (arnstable Muni-Boardman/Polando Field). The one I got authorization for is Westover Air Reserve Base and there are special requirements.

3. COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS
a. UAS PIC must email CEF ATCT at [email protected] the day prior to flying operations and provide the following:
(1) COA number
(2) Primary telephone number of the pilot in command.
(3) Schedule of flight (time and duration)
(4) Location where flight will occur (coordinate and radius)
(5) Altitude
(6) Verify current weather (ceiling/visibility)
(7) Communication requirements
b. If UAS PIC does not receive an email response before date of UAS flight operations, the Proponent shall contact CEF ATCT at 413-557-2916 to confirm approval.
c. UAS PIC may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with ATC, and if required must comply. When necessary, the ATC frequency will be provided to operator during the ATC coordination prior to flight.
d. UAS PIC shall notify CEF ATCT immediately upon completion of UAS flight operations at 413-557-2916.

@jbhg30 - Are you flying on the Cape (arnstable Muni-Boardman/Polando Field). The one I got authorization for is Westover Air Reserve Base and there are special requirements.

3. COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS
a. UAS PIC must email CEF ATCT at [email protected] the day prior to flying operations and provide the following:
(1) COA number
(2) Primary telephone number of the pilot in command.
(3) Schedule of flight (time and duration)
(4) Location where flight will occur (coordinate and radius)
(5) Altitude
(6) Verify current weather (ceiling/visibility)
(7) Communication requirements
b. If UAS PIC does not receive an email response before date of UAS flight operations, the Proponent shall contact CEF ATCT at 413-557-2916 to confirm approval.
c. UAS PIC may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with ATC, and if required must comply. When necessary, the ATC frequency will be provided to operator during the ATC coordination prior to flight.
d. UAS PIC shall notify CEF ATCT immediately upon completion of UAS flight operations at 413-557-2916.

Yes, and it doesn't appear as though I have that coordination requirement on my authorization which is nice.

Is it possible to get a copy of your request to use as a template for my request or is there a template available on Drone Zone?

Is it possible to get a copy of your request to use as a template for my request or is there a template available on Drone Zone?
There is a template there . They will email you for questions and final determination. They do require longitude / latitude of the perimeter of the area you request. Process is easy, but took about a month from initial submission to approval on the 2 year clearance request. I found the FAA agent who contacted me to be very helpful.

There is a template there . They will email you for questions and final determination. They do require longitude / latitude of the perimeter of the area you request. Process is easy, but took about a month from initial submission to approval on the 2 year clearance request. I found the FAA agent who contacted me to be very helpful.
ThanksThomas

@Tx2caps
The process on DroneZone is very straight forward and easy. My experience was different from Thomas B. FAA called me the day after I submitted my request - the lady explained the "wide area" authorization that she was giving me and extended my time frame. My authorization was approved and received the same afternoon we spoke.

I was approved for my "wide area" authorization today after just one day of applying.
I was also given an extra year as I only asked for one year.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonkyBroxy