DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller losing connection

SXB1

Reactions
Hi, my MP seems to be losing the connection to controller sporadically.
I've had it at home a couple of times when I've been testing different camera settings etc and thought maybe just local interference, but it did it 3 times on location yesterday in quite quick succession.
I was on Robin Hood (UK) beach, tide was fully out and nobody around for a few hundred metres.
I always make sure I've plenty of Sat's connected, always make sure home point recorded once taken off and every thing is updated.
I was trying out some Quickshot dronie and helix when both times the controller flashed connection lost. This also happened with just normal flight while taking pics too.
Now the MP started return home, as it should, but as I was on the beach/rocks landing could be sketchey if it stayed automated. Twice the controller soon connected back and I was able to resume control but the other I had to turn off and on controller which luckily connected about 2 foot off landing.
I try stay calm as I can, but there is a bit of panic when I can't control anything!
I then packed everything up as was finding it frustrating by this point.
I later that day, in Whitby now, tried MP again. Same battery aswell as gave it a full recharge, just to check, had spares with me. Was up in the air for about 15 min, loads of pics and vids, no issues at all this time.
It's just a bit annoying as I lose confidence and bit on edge when flying as bit worried about connection loss. I never ever push the limits on the MP, ie distance, always fairly close to me, los always, as many Sat's as possible and home always recorded. Never had a crash, always cased up when not in use, not modded, just look after it as much as I can.
I use a S8 for the controller screen, but the issue is not with that, it's the connection between the MP and controller that loses signal.
Is there anything anyone recommend that I can try to help this lil gremlin?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, my MP seems to be losing the connection to controller sporadically.
I've had it at home a couple of times when I've been testing different camera settings etc and thought maybe just local interference, but it did it 3 times on location yesterday in quite quick succession.
I was on Robin Hood (UK) beach, tide was fully out and nobody around for a few hundred metres.
I always make sure I've plenty of Sat's connected, always make sure home point recorded once taken off and every thing is updated.
I was trying out some Quickshot dronie and helix when both times the controller flashed connection lost. This also happened with just normal flight while taking pics too.
Now the MP started return home, as it should, but as I was on the beach/rocks landing could be sketchey if it stayed automated. Twice the controller soon connected back and I was able to resume control but the other I had to turn off and on controller which luckily connected about 2 foot off landing.
I try stay calm as I can, but there is a bit of panic when I can't control anything!
I then packed everything up as was finding it frustrating by this point.
I later that day, in Whitby now, tried MP again. Same battery aswell as gave it a full recharge, just to check, had spares with me. Was up in the air for about 15 min, loads of pics and vids, no issues at all this time.
It's just a bit annoying as I lose confidence and bit on edge when flying as bit worried about connection loss. I never ever push the limits on the MP, ie distance, always fairly close to me, los always, as many Sat's as possible and home always recorded. Never had a crash, always cased up when not in use, not modded, just look after it as much as I can.
I use a S8 for the controller screen, but the issue is not with that, it's the connection between the MP and controller that loses signal.
Is there anything anyone recommend that I can try to help this lil gremlin?
Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the remote has an issue, you could try doing a firmware refresh but if its getting old it may be best to consider getting a replacement..

A copy of a flight log uploaded to Airdata would be helpful.

@SXB1 if possible could you borrow a remote ,link it to your drone and see if it then carries on disconnecting ,also have you put a skin on your drone ,because some types of glossy type skins have a reflective layer in them, that can disrupt the signal if applied to the antenna legs of the drone

@SXB1 if possible could you borrow a remote ,link it to your drone and see if it then carries on disconnecting ,also have you put a skin on your drone ,because some types of glossy type skins have a reflective layer in them, that can disrupt the signal if applied to the antenna legs of the drone
I don't know anyone local that has 1 to try sadly.
Mmmm it does have a shimmer type film on it though and it was quite a sunny day also, could that make things worse? Will try dig a pic out of skin

Would a matt finish suit better then?
I just wanted some external protection on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210502-185415_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-185415_Photos.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210502-185404_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-185404_Photos.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
That looks like the same skin that I use on my 4year old MP1. I’ve had no problems with drone and controller disconnecting either at distance over the sea or when flying over or through woods.

@SXB1 there are several things that could cause a loss of signal between the RC and drone is this a recent issue ,if you have had the drone for some time ,then its possible that as you have been opening and closing the antennas many many times then it could cause damage to the cables inside them ,also a lot of background WIFI interference can cause the signal to be corrupted,this is why i was hoping you could try a different RC ,and of course the problem could be in the drone itself, where the antenna cable goes up through the arm and gets damaged as it is being opened and closed ,over a long period of time i am not trying to alarm you ,just pointing out a few possible issues that can arise

That looks like the same skin that I use on my 4year old MP1. I’ve had no problems with drone and controller disconnecting either at distance over the sea or when flying over or through woods.
Interesting to know!
@SXB1 there are several things that could cause a loss of signal between the RC and drone is this a recent issue ,if you have had the drone for some time ,then its possible that as you have been opening and closing the antennas many many times then it could cause damage to the cables inside them ,also a lot of background WIFI interference can cause the signal to be corrupted,this is why i was hoping you could try a different RC ,and of course the problem could be in the drone itself, where the antenna cable goes up through the arm and gets damaged as it is being opened and closed ,over a long period of time i am not trying to alarm you ,just pointing out a few possible issues that can arise
Yeah I know it would be a good way to try isolate the controller.
I have had the odd connection loss before, it was just 3 times on the bounce this occurred!
Tbh the drone doesn't get used all that often, so can't see any cables been damaged from open/closing, can see how that would happen though.

I've managed to screenshot 1 of flight log notifications on Airdata which I'll post up.

Here's the screenshots.
1 I find totally weird is 'G' when drone was about 6m away and 6m up....notification for extended flight distance detected and maintain VLOS at 11secs.....how?!

Attachments

• 20210503_153932.jpg
    20210503_153932.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210503_154250.jpg
    20210503_154250.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210503_154258.jpg
    20210503_154258.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210503_154318.jpg
    20210503_154318.jpg