DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller to iPhone cable question

Bernie707

Reactions
I've been using the dji supplied cable to connect the mavic controller to my iPhone 7 and haven't had any problems during my few flights so far. Is there any reason to switch to a cable from the bottom of the controller to my phone if I haven't had any problems thus far? I know some of you prefer a different cable. I've only flown out about 2000' so far.

If I got another cable would it be a mini USB to iPhone (lightning?) type and would 6" be good length? The current cable fits well with the handle of the controller so I'd want one that fit as well if I replaced it, so should that be right angle on the phone end? I know you need to disconnect the cable going into the left side of the controller. I guess that's about three questions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I feel the short DJI cable plugged into the side is the best way for the iPhone, provided the cable is working good. When using iPad or larger screen, then a short usb cable plugged into the bottom is the recommended option. But I haven't tried plugging my Mini4 into the side port. I think I will give it a try and see what happens. Yes, either phone or iPad, it is best to have a right angled plug. Doesn't stick out so far and easier to wrap your hand around it. I think a 6" cable would be too short. Needs to be 9-12 inches. Mine is about 12", I do a little loop on it to keep it tight to the controller and out of the way. I am of the belief that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Use what works.

I've never been able to get that USB "A" port at the bottom of the remote to work. Is there a setting somewhere?

In order for the bottom USB port to work u can't have a plug in the side micro USB port

That Dji side cable is utter rubbish, you WILL have issues with it at some stage, happened with my S7 and iPhone 7 as well loosing transmission signal at distance (not RC signal), it's poorly made and shielded, no problems at all with aftermarket 6" right angle from eBay.

Reactions: BeefStew
That Dji side cable is utter rubbish, you WILL have issues with it at some stage, happened with my S7 and iPhone 7 as well loosing transmission signal at distance (not RC signal), it's poorly made and shielded, no problems at all with aftermarket 6" right angle from eBay.
I don't know if it is poorly made and shielded. All I know is that I have used the cable since June, multiple times and have not had any problems.

And I've been using mine since last November, and haven't even yet had to swap to the spare I bought thinking it looked fragile.

Is one of the ports better then the other as far as data transfer goes?

I would say not. I think it has more to do with the device plug into the different ports and the processes speed of the device. I use a iPhone 6 on the side port and a Mini 4 on the bottom port. I think the iPhone has smoother live video then the Mini. But it may have been trees or other interference, so can't be sure. Haven't done a side by side test.

Hello, may I connect my iphone to controller without usb cable?
thanks

I have used both and find no performance difference. One consideration could be that the mini port is the only means to charge the remote, so using the bottom port would protect the mini from damage (which some people have suffered)

I just tested out stock Apple usb-c to lightning cable (from phone charger) instead of the right angle cable that came with DJI. Seems to work, and avoids having to remove phone case. Anyone have issues with this?

I just tested out stock Apple usb-c to lightning cable (from phone charger) instead of the right angle cable that came with DJI. Seems to work, and avoids having to remove phone case. Anyone have issues with this?
I used an Apple cable with my tablet for years and never had problems.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy