DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Converting 4K To Less CPU/RAM Demanding Format

Mister Pink

Reactions
Hi there,

I'm new to 4K and moderately experienced in video-editing. Photography is probably my strongest skills but editing would be somewhere down the list.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find out how I can transcode my 4K footage so I can edit it on my now, not-so-powerful machine. I shot it in h.265 (D-Log, I think) and I can't view the raw files as it's too demanding for my machine. I'm used to only editing with 1080p from a DSLR. I haven't had to transcode in a few years so I'm completely rusty. I remember using pro-res back in 2011.

1. What's the best (free) software to video transcode?
2. What format should I transcode it to?

I'm using Window 10 with 8gb RAM and 2gb of those 8gb, 2gb is dedicated to graphics. Using Premier Pro (2014)

Bonus question: Any good place for free LUTS? :p

Thanks in advance! :)

Easy way to do it. Download your 4K file onto your computer. Doesn't matter if you have the processing power to play the file or not. Next download VLC media player, it's free. On the top toolbar when you open the VLC player you will see 'Media'. Click on that and you'll get a drop down list. Click on Convert/Save. There, you will get a number of options of file you can convert your 4K file to, including 1080. How long it'll take will depend on your processing power. Go have a cup of tea and return in 10 minutes or so. You'll have your 4K file converted for you. Job done.

Reactions: Mister Pink
Easy way to do it. Download your 4K file onto your computer. Doesn't matter if you have the processing power to play the file or not. Next download VLC media player, it's free. On the top toolbar when you open the VLC player you will see 'Media'. Click on that and you'll get a drop down list. Click on Convert/Save. There, you will get a number of options of file you can convert your 4K file to, including 1080. How long it'll take will depend on your processing power. Go have a cup of tea and return in 10 minutes or so. You'll have your 4K file converted for you. Job done.

I've been using VLC for years, never knew it had the function. Super handy to know, so thanks!

I ended up converting to h.264. I don't know there's a better format than that but it looks OK for now.

For the time being, I used AVC (All Video Converter) as it was reccommended by TechRadar.com. I might just use VLC now, since I have it anyway.

Also, I checked out Handbrake. Looks promising.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22