DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

converting antenna dbi to watts and amp watts to dbi what are you really getting for output!

Regulations and most documentation refer to EIRP, not ERP. And that's what you get most "naturally" using the power and gain as specified on pretty much everything, so just more convenient for everybody.

ohh ok I think the main thing is people can see the linear increase and how there is a "pattern" when combining antennas and amps.

I will add it so there will be both :)

NOTE: watts output is ERP watts ( Effective radiated power) which means, the RF power supplied to an antenna multiplied by the antenna gain in a given direction.

as I said before this is a calculated number! connectors, cable, etc has an affect and no antenna is made "perfect" cant be done! but these numbers will give you an idea! :)

I pick the following antenna gains (dbi) and amp size by what is used mostly with this hobby for mods!

2 watt amp into a 5 dbi antenna = 3.85 watts

2 watt amp
into a 6 dbi antenna = 4.85 watts

2 watt amp
into a 9 dbi antenna = 9.68 watts (1)

2 watt amp
into a 12 dbi antenna = 19.32 watts (2)

2 watt amp
into a 15 dbi antenna = 38.56 watts (3)

4 watt amp
into a 5 dbi antenna = 7.71 watts

4 watt amp
into a 6 dbi antenna = 9.70 watts (1)

4 watt amp
into a 9 dbi antenna = 19.37 watts (2)

4 watt amp into a 12 dbi antenna = 38.65 watts (3)

4 watt amp
into a 15 dbi antenna = 77.128 watts (4)

8 watt amp
into a 5 dbi antenna = 15.425 watts

8 watt amp
into a 6 dbi antenna = 19.41 watts (2)

8 watt amp
into a 9 dbi antenna = 38.74 watts (3)

8 watt amp
into a 12 dbi antenna = 77.31 watts (4)

8 watt amp
into a 15 dbi antenna = 154.25 watts

do you see a pattern? if not you can see I marked them 1 goes with 1 and 2 goes with 2 , etc! as you can see with the right gain (dbi) of a antenna you can Achieve the same ERP out of a higher wattage amp with a small dbi antenna! of course there is a trade off and that is the size of the antenna that is need to achieve this!
will this work in wifi router antenna or radio antenna..????