DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cool down battery and MA2

GARhythm

Reactions
When changing batteries, does the aircraft require a cool down period? Do the smart batteries require cool down before recharge. Another drone I had did, may have missed it in the manual.

I always let the battery cool down before charging them (and I believe I read that in the manual somewhere), but I have run 3 flights back to back with no problems on the AC since I have 3 batteries with the fly more combo.

those some that @Starz mentioned include me,the battery will be quite hot after flight so it makes sense to remove it straight away after landing to reduce the time it is hot as for the drone ,by the time that you have fitted a new battery got it set up on the take off point, waited for GPS lock ETC then it will be fine to fly ,the battery and drone are at their most vulnerable from overheating when hovering in hot sunshine close to the ground once you get moving and gain some height then things cool down considerably

Thanks for replies. I will just continue to do as I always have. Remove battery and allow for cool down, both battery and AC. seems to be consensus.

Reactions: old man mavic
From my experience; a battery won't charge when it's hot. I found that our very early on with my Mavic Air. I was out flying, and went thru three of my batteries. Got in my truck to head to a new location, plugged in my charger (I have A/C built in) and while driving I looked over and noticed that the batteries were not charging. I thought I had really messed up but then, after about ten minutes they had apparently cooled enough and the green lights started flashing. I think, if I recall correctly, the charger light was yellow.

From my experience; a battery won't charge when it's hot. I found that our very early on with my Mavic Air. I was out flying, and went thru three of my batteries. Got in my truck to head to a new location, plugged in my charger (I have A/C built in) and while driving I looked over and noticed that the batteries were not charging. I thought I had really messed up but then, after about ten minutes they had apparently cooled enough and the green lights started flashing. I think, if I recall correctly, the charger light was yellow.
That's good to know about the caution light. I know to cool down lipo batteries before charging but another drone needed cool off for 5 or 10 minutes before inserting another battery. Of course it doesn't have a fan or multiple vents like the mav.

When changing batteries, does the aircraft require a cool down period? Do the smart batteries require cool down before recharge. Another drone I had did, may have missed it in the manual.

Yes. You should not charge hot batteries. This info is on the manual.

So letting the drone cool down for 10 minutes after a flight is essential before inserting another battery.
What about battery cool down? how much time is needed for the battery to cool down before charging it again? Is it also about 10 minutes to let it cool down to room temperature?

So letting the drone cool down for 10 minutes after a flight is essential before inserting another battery.
No ... there's no need to let the drone cool down at all.
But the battery won't begin to charge if you try recharging before it cools down.

Reactions: Kilrah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive