DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corona Arch

IShouldBeWorking

Reactions
Another short vid from my trip to Moab. I’m a lot happier about how this one turned out. Corona Arch is one of the wonderful red rock arches near Moab but it’s exceptional because it’s on BLM land instead of national park land so it’s fair game for aerial photos and videos. And at 105 feet high and 140 feet wide it’s easily as impressive as anything in the park anyway. Have a look and please let me know what you think.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mavic 2 Pro
4K 30 FPS H.265 Dlog10
1/60th shutter
ISO 100
ND32 filter - First time I’ve used this filter. It was super sunny. Sure glad I had it.

Last edited:
Good job! Very cinematic looking. That filter saved your video. Looks extremely good and balanced. No blowouts . . .

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
Good job! Very cinematic looking. That filter saved your video. Looks extremely good and balanced. No blowouts . . .
You’re totally right. I started out with no filter from my sunrise shots the previous morning and the shutter speed was suuuper fast. It took the darkest glass I had to get it down to 1/60th. Glad I ordered the kit with the ND32!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Another short vid from my trip to Moab. I’m a lot happier about how this one turned out. Corona Arch is one of the wonderful red rock arches near Moab but it’s exceptional because it’s on BLM land instead of national park land so it’s fair game for aerial photos and videos. And at 105 feet high and 140 feet wide it’s easily as impressive as anything in the park anyway. Have a look and please let me know what you think.

Mavic 2 Pro
4K 30 FPS H.265 Dlog10
1/60th shutter
ISO 100
ND32 filter - First time I’ve used this filter. It was super sunny. Sure glad I had it.
Spectacular area and you captured some great shots! Tough lighting conditions. So I'm curious about how you treated the DlogM 10 bit footage, like what editor did you use and did you play around with color correction/color grading? In my experience, the DlogM H.265 footage is very flat compared to H.264 and definitely needs attention in post.

Spectacular area and you captured some great shots! Tough lighting conditions. So I'm curious about how you treated the DlogM 10 bit footage, like what editor did you use and did you play around with color correction/color grading? In my experience, the DlogM H.265 footage is very flat compared to H.264 and definitely needs attention in post.

Thanks! Glad you liked it. The Dlog stuff does seem to be very flat color wise. I’ve only ever shot h.265 on the Mavic 2 so I don’t know if h.264 is different.

To bring the colors back out in post, I use LUTs and the Color tab in DaVinci Resolve. I try a few LUTs until I find one that gets me close to the look I want. Usually, I end up settling on one from DJI or Black Magic. Then I can make further tweaks with the color controls from there, but I’m a total noob when it comes to color grading. So my results are usually mixed. That’s the area of my editing where I need to improve the most.

Thankfully, this is a hobby where there’s always something new to learn and there are many who are willing to share what they’ve learned. ? Lots of what I’ve learned came from right here in these great forums.

Thanks! Glad you liked it. The Dlog stuff does seem to be very flat color wise. I’ve only ever shot h.265 on the Mavic 2 so I don’t know if h.264 is different.

To bring the colors back out in post, I use LUTs and the Color tab in DaVinci Resolve. I try a few LUTs until I find one that gets me close to the look I want. Usually, I end up settling on one from DJI or Black Magic. Then I can make further tweaks with the color controls from there, but I’m a total noob when it comes to color grading. So my results are usually mixed. That’s the area of my editing where I need to improve the most.

Thankfully, this is a hobby where there’s always something new to learn and there are many who are willing to share what they’ve learned. ? Lots of what I’ve learned came from right here in these great forums.
I too have a Mavic 2 Pro (since February). I've had mixed luck when going with H.265 DLogM. When I've nailed the exposure because of more uniform lighting conditions I get good results but when there are highly contrasting light situations I've not done very well and that's theoretically why you should shoot with H.265 which gives you more dynamic range or at least more latitude in post to correct/enhance things. I've found that I keep going back to H.264 and the "normal color" setting when I'm flying/filming in new areas where I may only have one chance at shooting a scene. Also, the H.265 clips were real "heavy" in Premiere until I learned about proxy files which made editing a lot smoother.

Mavic 2 Pro
4K 30 FPS H.265 Dlog10
1/60th shutter
ISO 100
Im just wondering what all the hikers thought of you flying above and around them in all this stunning nature

Im just wondering what all the hikers thought of you flying above and around them in all this stunning nature

Thanks for your concern. Most of the people you see in the video are friends and family who did the hike with me. And I never fly over people. I did have one fellow comment that he didn’t like the noise but it’s tough to avoid with the echoes from the rock cliffs all around.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lagunadci