DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corrupt Video Files

Parkerjh

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Three times in the last week I've had this same problem flying Mavic 2 Pro.
Saving to SD Card. SanDisk. Brand new. Formatted before flight.

I'll have say 10-12 video clips per flight.
In the finder window, everything looks fine.
The files are all numbered sequentially.
The file shows an appropriate size for the length shot - say for example 800Mb.
BUT when I try to open it, my video player simply will say "Quicktime player can't open" or whatever other warning from other video players.

First couple times I figured I just had a bum SD card with a bad sector or something.

But now this has happened three times with three different SD cards.

I hate now having the feeling of not knowing if every video was saved properly and having to review every single video on site before I leave.

Any ideas on what could be causing me this problem?

Couple of questions... not that it’s your problem, just getting more information on the situation.

Are you recording as MP4 or MOV?

Are you first copying the files to your PC instead of opening directly from your card?

MP4.

I tried opening from SD card first.
When I tried to copy to laptop, I got an error.

Subsequently to posting this, I found this: Repairing Corrupt DJI Video Files

I did try that DJIFixProgram.....It took one of my videos of 800MB and "fixed it" but the resulting file was only 40MB and a fraction of the source video.

I am convinced the data and the video is in that file though so hopefully I can figure it out.

thanks for reading.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
If you couldn't even copy the file, and it's just a file for a normal copy, regardless of file extension or file content, then the card is bad or the method of copying it (such as bad card reader, USB cable or USB hub).

Even an intact file with bad video content will copy.

What cards did you use? Were they obtained at the same time or source? I ask because you could have fake cards or just a bad batch.

Reactions: Thomas B
If you couldn't even copy the file, and it's just a file for a normal copy, regardless of file extension or file content, then the card is bad or the method of copying it (such as bad card reader, USB cable or USB hub).

Even an intact file with bad video content will copy.

What cards did you use? Were they obtained at the same time or source? I ask because you could have fake cards or just a bad batch.

thanks for the reply!

I got from Amazon from official SanDisk. Certainly possible a bad batch? But just seems odd that I'm shooting dozens of video files and 100's of photos per day. Nothing wrong with any of the photos. Just an occasional video file. Cards format fine. And odd that the DJIFix that I linked was able to "work" a little bit and show some of the file.

If the issue was file allocation error, DJIFix might be the worst thing to do.

In FAT32, the part with the file name has the stored file size, and pointer to first cluster. In file allocation table, space for that cluster points to the next cluster, and so on in a chain. Last cluster in the chain is marked with code that it is last.

Sometimes the chain in the FAT is broken, or the file table not updated with correct file size.

If the issue was file allocation error, DJIFix might be the worst thing to do.

In FAT32, the part with the file name has the stored file size, and pointer to first cluster. In file allocation table, space for that cluster points to the next cluster, and so on in a chain. Last cluster in the chain is marked with code that it is last.

Sometimes the chain in the FAT is broken, or the file table not updated with correct file size.

thanks for the info! flew again today. mostly photos but the videos were all fine. hopefully won't happen again but I'd sure love to know what was the issue/cause

Was it always your last video of the flight? Shutting down the drone before pressing “Stop” on the camera will result in an apparently corrupted video file. Restarting the drone with the same card installed will normally fix the file.

Was it always your last video of the flight? Shutting down the drone before pressing “Stop” on the camera will result in an apparently corrupted video file. Restarting the drone with the same card installed will normally fix the file.

THANKS for the reply. Yes, I have had a couple flights over the years where I thought I had stopped recording and then powered off the drone. I did learn that trick and has helped a couple times for sure. But these files have all been in the middle of the "batch". All the other photos and videos are fine. Just a one off non-readable file here and there. Thanks again.

Had a flight this weekend where it was my last while recording video at the same time. I think I cut power to drone or perhaps SC when video was still being captured. Tried DJIFIX and it fixed my issue - file size remained the same and was viewable in VNC player on my mac.

Might be worth trying another video player like Jaymaharg suggests. Also, are you making sure you stop the recordings before shutting down. Just a couple of suggestions, hope you get it sorted.

Shutting down the remote shouldn't affect integrity of video recording on AC. You would need to turn it back on to stop the recording of course, though powering off the AC, then put AC back on for a minute should work.

Reactions: Thomas B
Shutting down the remote shouldn't affect integrity of video recording on AC. You would need to turn it back on to stop the recording of course, though powering off the AC, then put AC back on for a minute should work.
Agree. That has worked for me on my M2P.

Clutching at straws, I know on my husband 501 I do need to stop the recording to enable the file to write the end-of-file but on my mavic it's more forgiving and is ok

Hi, In case you video file severely corrupted and data repair software unable to repair them. I had the same problem when I used stellar video repair that support team help me and said the advanced feature of video repair software help to repair the file I add sample file and the file repaired successfully. I hope this information help you!

Reactions: BogeyBlack
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78