DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Could this be legal?

In the US, the maximum distance is 3 miles. That does not include LoS via binocs. Binocs may be used to assist in relocate but are NOT permitted to maintain LoS. Now, that being said, MY eyes are not the best and I would be very hard pressed to maintain LoS up to 3 miles on such a small object. But, if you say you can maintain LoS, go for it!

I seem to remember/forgot something about the use of an observer for operating out of LoS. Not sure if it was a way to justify an authorization or if it could be used without authorization required.
Oh man, I need to study if Im going to renew my 107.

I seem to remember/forgot something about the use of an observer for operating out of LoS. Not sure if it was a way to justify an authorization or if it could be used without authorization required.
Oh man, I need to study if Im going to renew my 107.

But still limited to 3 miles.
The PIC still maintains full responsibility!

This is from the FAA www.
§ 107.33 - Visual observer.

If a visual observer is used during the aircraft operation, all of the following requirements must be met:

(a) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must maintain effective communication with each other at all times.

(b) The remote pilot in command must ensure that the visual observer is able to see the unmanned aircraft in the manner specified in § 107.31.

(c) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must coordinate to do the following:

(1) Scan the airspace where the small unmanned aircraft is operating for any potential collision hazard; and

(2) Maintain awareness of the position of the small unmanned aircraft through direct visual observation.

Also: Here is a link to Johnathan Rupprecht's web site. He is extremely knowledgeable on drone matters. Personally, I consider him the foremost resident expert, and hold him in high esteem. Remember, however, he is human and may make errors once in a while.

Section 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation. (2018) -

You guys have so much more freedom to fly. I’m envious. In Canada,there’s no flying anywhere in most cities. All controlled airspace is totally off limits for hobbyists. Actually,transport Canada even directs that flying over any private land is off,parks are off,provincial and national parks are off. You’d think that in a country that covers nearly 10 million km2,there’d be no end to the flying, but one has to drive a lot to find an acceptable area. ....not that I’m whining...:oops:

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
You guys have so much more freedom to fly. I’m envious. In Canada,there’s no flying anywhere in most cities. All controlled airspace is totally off limits for hobbyists. Actually,transport Canada even directs that flying over any private land is off,parks are off,provincial and national parks are off. You’d think that in a country that covers nearly 10 million km2,there’d be no end to the flying, but one has to drive a lot to find an acceptable area. ....not that I’m whining...:oops:
We just be a bunch of 'Hoses, eh?? Couldn't resist! Really sad to learn of all the restrictions. Hopefully, the govt will loosen up a little.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I just bought a Mavic 2 Zoom. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about how to fly, and some that just show flights. In one, a guy flies his drone over three miles down a very busy road lined with skyscrapers in in a large city. I suppose it is sort of "line of site" in some sense in that he could see all the way to where the drone was, but I don't now how he could see it at all over three miles away (or even over one mile away). He said he had a strobe, but I didn't see one, and that wouldn't make it visible that far away, I don't think (but I don't know that). I know that I've flown my Mavic Zoom about 1000' away at about 80' high, and it was becoming difficult to see even at that distance.

He flew over 400', but near the very tall buildings, which I guess may be allowed? I don't want to link to the video. I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I'm just trying to understand what is permissible. I don't think I'd ever try a flight like this, but, if it's legal, it would make me more comfortable with much shorter flights that I might be willing to try. I guess I tend to see my drone as a flying hazard and intend to be overly cautious with it.

I know exactly which video this was. It was shot in Miami, FL and is one of the scariest drone videos I've ever seen... very uncomfortable to watch if you take safety precautions seriously. Not only was it conducted down a long canyon of very tall buildings it was directly over a very busy multi-lane roadway. It also continued past the warnings to return to home solely to reach a "target". Granted, everything ended without incident, but it certainly seemed reckless and ill advised. Needless to say it's not a channel I would subscribe to.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I know exactly which video this was. It was shot in Miami, FL and is one of the scariest drone videos I've ever seen... very uncomfortable to watch if you take safety precautions seriously. Not only was it conducted down a long canyon of very tall buildings it was directly over a very busy multi-lane roadway. It also continued past the warnings to return to home solely to reach a "target". Granted, everything ended without incident, but it certainly seemed reckless and ill advised. Needless to say it's not a channel I would subscribe to.
It's all about being "COOL" man...be safe, fly smart

See the DRONE from 3 miles? NO WAY!
Strobe lights are NOT the drone. but I believe it helps spot the drone at a greater distance than in the daylight.
I want one of these super humans that can see 3 miles in the daylight with no strobes Fly 3 miles away, and back in a zig zag pattern, without the displays visible to him on the remote or the app. Have an observer call out when 3 miles is reached Then maybe I will believe it. Post that video please!

Reactions: Cheech Wizard

At least you have freedom of speech, not so much in this country anymore...ha.

See the DRONE from 3 miles? NO WAY!
Strobe lights are NOT the drone. but I believe it helps spot the drone at a greater distance than in the daylight.
I want one of these super humans that can see 3 miles in the daylight with no strobes Fly 3 miles away, and back in a zig zag pattern, without the displays visible to him on the remote or the app. Have an observer call out when 3 miles is reached Then maybe I will believe it. Post that video please!

Speaking of strobes, why isn't DJI installing the "Latest and Greatest" Cree type strobes? You would think that would make the Drones safer as far as LOS plus nothing potentially falling off. I'm not into strap ons ...ha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760