DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Couple of troubleshooting questions.

Neebles

Reactions
Hello,
Recently I have been having some troubles with my mavic. Nothing overly concerning, just annoyances. Hoping you can help me clear it up.

First the mavic remote keeps telling me the SD card is full...Is this the SD card on the Mavic (I assume) or the phone. There is nothing on the SD card on the Mavic, and the SD card in the phone isnt full either. Anyway, please advise as to how to clear that message.

Next, I went to Florida with the Mavic last week. Flew it around, nothing exciting. I thought I had read that if you travel with the Mavic it is a good idea to calibrate the compass... Well, I went to recalibrate today, and I dont have the option. Or at least I cant find the option to do so....

Lastly and maybe related to the compass thing, I can not get the mavic to fly straight to save my life. It seems to fly at a diagonal all of a sudden... I have never had this problem before. This is literally my first attempt at a flight since Florida. Im assume recalibration of sort is in order, I just dont know where to start. Thanks!!

Try reformatting the SD card while in the Mavic. By "fly at a diagonal" do you mean fly straight while yawed or fly at an angle when the stick is pushed forward?

Try reformatting the SD card while in the Mavic. By "fly at a diagonal" do you mean fly straight while yawed or fly at an angle when the stick is pushed forward?
Ok I will try that.

As far as the flying diagonal part, I have the right stick at the 12 o clock position, but per the view on the screen it appears the Mavic is flying towards 2 o’clock. Camera facing straight forward.

Have it hover in front of you so you can get a better idea of the angle. It sounds like (although I am not much experienced in these matters) that you need to do a full recalibration. Compass, IMU, gimbal, might as well do the sensors while you're at it.

Have it hover in front of you so you can get a better idea of the angle. It sounds like (although I am not much experienced in these matters) that you need to do a full recalibration. Compass, IMU, gimbal, might as well do the sensors while you're at it.

Reformatting the SD did the trick for that...Thanks

Its a bit dark now, so I will have to get out to the field and try and recalibrate everything tomorrow. Im recalibrating what I can in the house now, like the gimbal. I did try to recalibrate the RC just in case, but I cant get through it without the process timing out, so that has been incredibly frustrating.

Oh and the remote does keep telling me that new firmware is required...Im hesitant to do that as from what I read, people arent really happy when they do that.. im also running an older version of the go4 app on my android, so I dont know if that has to do with any of my issues all of a sudden.

One more question, when the sensors are turned off, it seems like the mavic is much more sensitive to stick movement, and a little bit faster. Is this normal? I flew without the sensors on the other day, and I thought I had accidentally flipped it over to sport mode. It kind of freaked me out a little bit as while I can fly it no problem, I just wasn't used to the exaggerated movement with the Mavic.

Last edited:
I'm new to all of this myself, but I know you can adjust stick movement/sensitivity. You will need to look in the manual for it. There are also some youtube video's on it.

I thought I had read that if you travel with the Mavic it is a good idea to calibrate the compass... Well, I went to recalibrate today, and I dont have the option.
When changing locations, you usually shouldn't have to calibrate the compass. Check out the Compass Calibration Guide for more information on when the compass should be calibrated.

If you want to calibrate it anyhow, you can calibrate the compass in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Calibrate-Compass.jpg

when the sensors are turned off, it seems like the mavic is much more sensitive to stick movement, and a little bit faster. Is this normal?
Yes. The Mavic is able to fly faster when obstacle avoidance is disabled.

Reformatting the SD did the trick for that...Thanks

One more question, when the sensors are turned off, it seems like the mavic is much more sensitive to stick movement, and a little bit faster. Is this normal? I flew without the sensors on the other day, and I thought I had accidentally flipped it over to sport mode. It kind of freaked me out a little bit as while I can fly it no problem, I just wasn't used to the exaggerated movement with the Mavic.

Just for fun...according to the manual that we all read numerous times, on page 11, turning off the obstacle sensors, the max speed is increased from 22 to 36 mph. Sport mode (Specifications) is 40.4 mph. :>)