DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash Assistance please

Niko0008

Reactions
Forgive me if this is not posted In the correct spot. This is my first time.
Can some one please help with determining cause of crash and approximate location. The find my drone app is giving me conflicting coordinates. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-02-03_[13-17-09].txt
    510.4 KB · Views: 47
also for some reason I am using a windows computer and it will not allow me to attatch the csv file. All that I can see the gps signal says weak for the last few min of flight no cordenance provided.

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks at the end of flight does it indicate how the flight terminated? Is there a way to find out?

here is compressed csv if it helps. Thanks again for all help provided

Attachments

• ExportCSV_2020-02-03_[13-17-09] (2).zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 16
I started typing out where to look, because it looked like you must have had a lot of wind, no matter what you did or didn't do with the controls, it kept going away. It would have drifted the same direction after you lost signal, until the battery was low enough and it would have auto landed.

But when it lost remote signal, would it tried to come back home.
Yes. Depending on the RTH settings.
Did it know how to get back to home, I doubt it with so many alerts of compass errors.

I'm guessing....
It still would have drifted at the same elevation at wind speed, until it hit something or ran out of battery, because most likeliy it would be in atti mode.

I'm very limited in these skills, soon some others will give you much better information.

Rod

This is going to be a tough one to find. The flight problems were caused by magnetic interference at the takeoff point. Once the aircraft climbed out of the interference and then responded to a yaw command at 12 seconds, there were immediate compass errors as the IMU yaw diverged from the magnetic yaw. You should have heeded those warnings and landed immediately.

However, the flight continued, and eventually, at 138 seconds, the FC switched to ATTI mode.

comp1.png

Unfortunately the FC then went back and forth between ATTI and P-GPS, leading to erratic flight. That makes it difficult to predict where it ended up. If it stayed in ATTI after the connection was lost then it should have landed immediately, and be somewhere on the red line segment shown below.

1580838285816.jpeg

Thank you so much for your input. Im doing this on behalf of a friend. We will gear up and take another hike to see if we can find it thanks again. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

In addition just to keep you updated your spot of reference is about 3000ft south east from where the find my drone app told us to look. Thanks again

@sar104
"If it stayed in ATTI after the connection was lost then it should have landed immediately"
How can you confirm this, could you see the RTH settings?
Is this a default protocol that I had never realized?

If it did switch back to GPS mode, what would do then?
Would it try to RTH and to head where it thinks home is?

Rod

Update, I just spotted where is was headed home for a little bit.
This one is really confusing....

Last edited:
@sar104
"If it stayed in ATTI after the connection was lost then it should have landed immediately"
How can you confirm this, could you see the RTH settings?
Is this a default protocol that I had never realized?

If it did switch back to GPS mode, what would do then?
Would it try to RTH and to head where it thinks home is?

Rod

Update, I just spotted where is was headed home for a little bit.
This one is really confusing....

Landing immediately is the univeral failsafe behavior when P-GPS is not available - it's not a setting.

If it re-engages P-GPS it will attempt to return home, which will not result in traveling in the right direction if the IMU yaw value is still wrong.

Yes,
I see when it did change to Go Home for 5 secs it Got 5' closer to home point and then finished -1ft further away, don't think it will get far in P-GPS.

Rod

Thank you so much for your input. Im doing this on behalf of a friend. We will gear up and take another hike to see if we can find it thanks again. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Good luck with the search !!
Hopefully it will be another successful one, thanks to the sar104 analysis.

This is going to be a tough one to find. The flight problems were caused by magnetic interference at the takeoff point. Once the aircraft climbed out of the interference and then responded to a yaw command at 12 seconds, there were immediate compass errors as the IMU yaw diverged from the magnetic yaw. You should have heeded those warnings and landed immediately.

However, the flight continued, and eventually, at 138 seconds, the FC switched to ATTI mode.

View attachment 93097

Unfortunately the FC then went back and forth between ATTI and P-GPS, leading to erratic flight. That makes it difficult to predict where it ended up. If it stayed in ATTI after the connection was lost then it should have landed immediately, and be somewhere on the red line segment shown below.

View attachment 93098
sar104,
Sir you never cease to amaze me. This community considers you an invaluable resource.
Thank you for what you do.
Fly well.

I suspect SAR 104 is not a scientist but a wizard.Likely from the future or from a distant planet.The proof of this is if he can always find his car keys.

I don't know - what are these "car keys" of which you speak? I do seem to have misplaced my spacecraft however.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock