DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash on a sailing sailboat

My Mavic Mini Crashed after starting of my sailing 55 feet sailboat.
Soon after starting and flying the drone it starts to fly erratically right next to the boat (around 3 meters at the side of the boot and 2 meters above the water. I could not control it anymore.
René
I’m new to drone flying but am a life long sailor. By your description… It sounds like you were flying in the boats ‘wind shadow’. Also called dirty air. A 55’ sailboat even in lite air will create lots of turbulence....
Wild Wayne, This is what I was thinking right off the bat as well. The Mini is small and likely multiple times more prone to wind turbulence on the leeward (downwind) side of the sail. It likely stalled...

Reactions: Wild Wayne
Im interested and concerned about this problem as well. I was hoping to get some sail footage of my own boat this summer with my M2 Pro. Ive seen people post vids of the Mavic doing hand launch and retrievals from boats. So it must be possible. I can see where the "Home" point would be an issue, as well as the vision system getting confused with a homogenous looking surface like calm water. I would think the wave action would give enough contrast and depth to focus on the water surface.

I would be hesitant if I was the OP after that incident. But maybe turning vision "off" and setting a manual Home point. Im pretty sure there is a setting for making the home point either near the remote control or a geo location. Best I can glean from the icon anyway. I read in another thread of someone suggesting launching from a point on land to avoid the moving launch point "vertigo". Thats a pain on a sailboat tho.

Edit: people answering as I was typing- Yeah, S mode would seem logical.
Maybe setting the home point to the controller rather then takeoff spot would address the home point issue?

I sail around tasmania wiwi5hmy M2P and the first time i tried to hand launch, which i do quite often, the bird immediately tried to go back to when i initialized the launch while still being held.

I gave up on that until I could do some tests back on land and did the following;

Held the drone roughly head height, activated the drone and then walked about 10 steps until it started to react and then just let it go.

She immediately returned to roughly the point of activation and hovered there.

This gave me confidence to launch from the back of the yacht and let it go just prior to sending her up to 30m.

After that, catching a moving drone from a moving yacht was more interesting but with gentle stick inputs is more than capable.

Not sure why the OP had issues with flying though.

Taking off is easy enough. Get someone to hold the drone at the back of the cockpit behind any stays facing away from the boat and you push up and forward. The MM will disappear at its usual speed plus the boat speed plus wind speed, so quickly. A quick turn around and start tracking the yacht. Staying high above the water will reduce risk. 20m maybe. For landing it might be best to turn into he wind and stall the yacht so there is less to take into account. Someone hold the main still so there is no flapping, you fly up close and someone pick the moment and snatch the drone, ie. grab from underneath while it is flying close. Then you hit land and wait for the engines to stop. As mentioned above the drone will try to escape so be ready. Of course rocking from the sea will make it quite ricky and you could lose a fingertip. If your yacht is metal forget it completely and launch from shore. You can follow the yacht for a good distance. Maybe stay above the mast. I have taken some great marine action shots from a km or so away. Good luck.

Reactions: DJake_2000
I launched my MP from my friend's sailboat once, and successfully caught it myself. There was almost no wind, and we were crawling along at 1-2 knots. Takeoff was easy, but landing (hand-catching) was more difficult.

I had to turn my MP to face away from the boat, bring it in close to the starboard side while following the boat, but slightly in front of me (heading wise). The last part was to stick my right hand out to catch it while applying down stick with my left hand. As it came down, the boat drifted my hand to the drone so I could catch/grab it from underneath, on the body. Once in hand, I applied full down stick to shut off the motors. I wouldn't even dream of doing it myself if the boat was going any faster. Even when the boat seems to be barely moving, there will be the slightest drift between the boat and the drone, and that makes it challenging enough.

Anyone thinking of doing this from a boat needs to have a lot of practice hand-catching their Mavic on stationary ground beforehand. Most importantly, get very familiar with the hand-catching technique and Mavic's behavior before even thinking about attempting it from a moving LZ like a boat. Also, as jamesfrankham mentioned, have a separate drone catcher. The drone catcher needs to go through the drill with you before you launch to ensure it goes smoothly and they know ahead of time what to expect. Better yet, practice it with him/her on shore, from a fixed location until both of you are comfortable with the drill.

As far as settings go, you need to turn off landing protection just like when you would hand-catch. Otherwise, the Mavic will jump up and away from your hand as it comes under the bottom sensors. But also note that you need to have the downward sensors turned ON. When they detect that the distance is zero while applying down-stick, the motors will shut off.

One final thing from my experience, I would not attempt this again, even at 1-2 knots, without another person to catch or grab the Mavic while I pilot it into the boat for landing.

Reactions: GregE
The main reason is that if you launch in P mode then the aircraft will immediately try to hold absolute position, not position relative to the moving object. That can lead to very undesirable consequences, as have been reported here a number of times.
Been awhile that I've made a comment to you Joe, but shouldn't that really be
Dic mihi solum facta, domina, Dic mihi sloum facta. ? I know not enough room.

My Mavic Mini Crashed after starting of my sailing 55 feet sailboat.

With a light breeze and only two knots of speed the conditions where great.

Soon after starting and flying the drone it starts to fly erratically right next to the boat (around 3 meters at the side of the boot and 2 meters above the water. I could not control it anymore.

Lucky the drone flew right in the boat and crashed in the cockpit without damage.

I ' afraid lounging the drone again from my boat. At land, it worked fine again.

Is there anybody in this forum who knows what possible went wrong?

Thx in advance !

René
I don't know if you have radio transmitters on the boat or not, but if you do, it is possible that their output may have caused signal interference.

I’m new to drone flying but am a life long sailor. By your description… It sounds like you were flying in the boats ‘wind shadow’. Also called dirty air. A 55’ sailboat even in lite air will create lots of turbulence. I race a 26‘ Thunderbird (3,600 lbs). If I got stuck behind you it would toss me around like a cork. Best thing to do is tack and get away.

so many questions... Who is the boat maker? Were you under sail? Did you have the main and the headsail up? That’s a lot of surface area! Where you flying the drone on the windward or leeward side?
X-yacht X-55
main & head on and sailing only 1 to two knots
and at the windward side I started the mavic mini from from mid deck

@rene strand ... you've now got 8-9 days of speculation, but that will not tell you what happened & how you can prevent it to happen again.
Please share your logs, that will give you the biggest possibility to conclude this event.

One of the reasons I bought the MM was to shoot video of my boat. But wondering now if I will ever get the nerve to actually attempt it.
me too! Whole reason was we were going to try to get footage of our boats. Hmm

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones