DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash your Drone? In the WATER? Hers an easy fix.

Rice for drying out electronics sounds cute, but it's just not effective. It makes a great Internet folk tale, though.

I did a pretty thorough search last year for references to any actual scientific testing. I found only one. It described limited success with using rice to dry hearing aids in remote locations where there were no other resources available.

I'd really like to hear of any evaluations of rice as a desiccant from a valid source that others have found, other than anecdotal reports.
As a former component level laptop bench tech for many years, I'd be inclined to agree. IC, trace and component failure doesn't always rear its head immediately following a liquid spill. Countless times I've seen the tell-tale crust and corrosion on a failed chip thats clearly been there for MONTHS if not years undetected.

I mean, I'd give this a go on something I'm not sending in the air with fast rotating props and incredibly unstable lipo batteries. A phone, or camera maybe. Hell no, not a drone, LOL, thats just incredibly unwise, putting it politely.

EDIT- missing word.

In a semi related context for Brit males without a better half, double zip lock bagging papadums is a great way of keeping them crisp.
Just get as much air as possible out of the bags before you seal them.
Two bags because a single bag seems to leak for some reason, maybe papadom corners puncture it.

BTW I find that the bags inflate, I can but wonder if the papadums literally give off gas?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: old man mavic
its posts like these, in threads like this ,that make this forum such a great place to be ,laughter is the best medicine,

@Yorkshire_Pud ,i cant speak for the papadums giving off gas
but i think you will find that having eaten several of them at one sitting ,then the chances of you giving off gas is quite likely

Folks if you really want to learn how to recover an immersed drone check out drone-retriever.com.

The video of a fresh water event was duplicated in salt water. Unfortunately at the point of recovery the person retrieving the drone picked it up by a rotor arm causing the arm to break and ripping the speed controller wires from there pad. After replacing the physically damaged arm and speed controller the drone flew and it still occasionally flown today. We did not publish a video.
The key to salt water recovery is KEEP IT WET even if salt water is all you got. Then as quick as possible get it into fresh water. Once salt water dries it will leave a salt residue that cannot be removed without scrubbing and many moving parts are not accessible for scrubbing. Drying NEVER use rice as the rice dust is not good for any moving part.
Hope this helps someone!

I am totally amazed - dunk any piece of electronic equipment - FIRST STEP - REMOVE THE (BLOODY) BATTERY! - then you can rinse the device and dry it. If you leave the battery connected it will drive the electrochemical processes - and it can happen very quickly. You may lose the battery - as it also has quite complex battery management circuitry inside. But I suspect they are better sealed than the drone. A nice hot sunny day will do an amazing job of drying, especially if you can put the device on a black surface. Don't forget the hairdryer as well! Rice? Ferget it.

Rice does work, my waterproof cell phone got dunked and it refused to charge because it detected moisture in the USB port. Nothing I did was able to eliminate that issue until I left it in a ziploc bag with rice overnight. Problem solved.

BUT - a risk of using rice as a desiccant is that it can create fungal growth on lenses. I found that out when I tried to use the same technique to eliminate condensation from inside the backup camera lens on my car. Ended up having to replace the backup camera/lens module.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23