DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed in Sports Mode

WestAusMav

Reactions
Hi was hoping for some help I have had my second crash in sports mode after the drone disconnected and flew off at full speed into trees.
The first time it happened I sent off to DJI and advised pilot error and would not be repaired under warranty not really a big deal was only just over $100 in costs but I explained over several emails about the concern of taking off they also got me to send in my controller and after having it again told pilot error and a few screenshots HOWEVER when they sent it back they sent me a brand new drone not the repaired one and my same controller.
On the third time I flew the new drone they sent after flying around in P and S mode I switched to P and then again to S again and then had it disconnect from the controller and fly off at full speed before hitting a tree and pretty damaged I have not sent the drone for repair yet I found it funny how they replaced the last one after quoting me for the minor repairs and a bit well suss on DJI.
I have looked thru the forum for similar and see where I can upload files I think i have the right ones but my DAT file is almost 2GB is there a smaller one I can add.
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-13_[16-36-17].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
On the third time I flew the new drone they sent after flying around in P and S mode I switched to P and then again to S again and then had it disconnect from the controller and fly off at full speed before hitting a tree and pretty damaged I have not sent the drone for repair yet I found it funny how they replaced the last one after quoting me for the minor repairs and a bit well suss on DJI.
Your flight record like like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
It ends with the drone being flown very close to the ground and still in the air, before any crash or any flying away.
Without any data, it's not possible to say anything about your incident but it would seem an unusual one if the drone flew away after losing signal after 9 minutes of safe flight.
Normally a loss of signal would just trigger a return to home.
Can you give some more details about what it did when signal was lost?

I'm wondering if the rapid changing from P to S modes back and forth has something to do with it?

I'm wondering if the rapid changing from P to S modes back and forth has something to do with it?
It's hard to see how it would.
And hard to say what it was without data.
Maybe he accidentally flicked to atti mode and didn't realise it and called that a "flyaway".
Or maybe nothing like it at all.
But flying fast very close to the ground is a potential worry.

It's hard to see how it would.
And hard to say what it was without data.
Maybe he accidentally flicked to atti mode and didn't realise it and called that a "flyaway".
Or maybe nothing like it at all.
But flying fast very close to the ground is a potential worry.

I agree

The way you are flying your drone, I think you'd have more fun getting a racing drone. Cheaper to repair too.
As for DJI repairing your drone, since you were using your Care Refresh, it was probably cheaper for DJI to give you a replacement new/refurbished so you get a drone back as quickly as possible. It'd take time and labor to fix your drone and test it. They were being efficient.

Thanks for the replys.
Yes I do fly it close and fast at times when i can find a bit of open space and never a problem with it wanting to take off only recently and both times while in sports mode. I have crashed it as well and the last time I did not have any more uses of care refresh due to previous mishaps I am willing to take the blame for those but this time I had back and forth with DJI over the cause and that it was not pilot error, the repair cost they gave me I have attached and was not much so paid it so I could at least get things moving with a repair I was then sent a brand new drone not my repaired one and was also offered the care refresh package again. This made me wonder what was wrong with the one i crashed and why give me a brand new one maybe so I don't complain. Anyway now the new drone has done the same and this time it came close to flying straight across a busy road lucky a big tree was in the way to stop it.
Meta4 when it lost control I heard the controller make a beep I looked down at the controller and the screen on the app was just the black and white pic you get when you shut the drone down looked up at the drone and it just flew away from me at speed in a straight line until it hit the tree the only imput I did then was to try and force stop by holding the sticks in and down, the upload you gave showing my flight path the final crash was not near where it ended it does not show that path or final resting place.
I am not looking for a free repair just wanted to see if it was something I am doing i want to have confidence it will not fly off and damage other property or another person gee I don't know if there is someone that hates drones that is able to over ride it considering it happened at the same location I have also attached the flight log from the last crash if it may show anything but I am thinking the answers may be in the drone itself and that is a big file.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-05-17_[09-46-44].txt
    326.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Repair.JPG
    Repair.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 31
Hi just wanted to update this with some thoughts.

Have had the drone for a little while now and when new I had an old samsung galaxy 5 or something in a draw I used with the controller that did work but lagged badly, note this phone did not have a sim card so no connection to a network. I then had to give that phone to a family member to use and so started using my galaxy 9 and I think not putting in flight mode may have been the issues as thanks to searching these forums seemed to be an issue for some. I have not had any issues with it disconnecting except for yesterday when I got distracted setting up and forgot about flight mode and sure enough it disconnected but luckily instead of flying off at full speed it went into return to home mode I did the IT trick and turned the controller off and on again and it reconnected and I was able to gain control.
So no more using without flightmode maybe even better to get a dedicated device or a proper controller.
My biggest concern though was that when it disconnected and crashed the 2 times it flew off without any input from me even though the logs show it I did not move anything I was very lucky it just hit inanimate objects.

Thanks above for the input and to the forums in general a great help and source of info.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet