DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed Mini 2

...When you say "DJI might take this as the gyro also feed in data to the IMU", do you mean DJI might accept this as a glitch rather than entirely pilot error?
Yes, they might do that ... the cause was the dropping GPS level making the GPS sending erroneous positional data indicating a backwards movement to the flight controller. That the movement was false could have been confirmed by the gyro, which also feed in data to the flight controller ... but the flight controller went with the wrong positional data & commanded a counteracting forward motion to hold the position.

So yeah ... they might, especially if you point it out in the communication with them.

...One thing I did notice in the video, although it's hard to know for sure, it looks like you may have inadvertently flown the drone into the window. It looks like you may have been pushing the right stick forward...
That was not the case ... the elevator & aileron stick commands that's seen in the end of the log came in panic 0,5sec before the crash (which happens at 604,1sec).

Here below you see the elevator (yellow dashed) & aileron (purple dashed) ... neutral have value 1024. The first stick input came at 603,6sec ... the GPS level (magenta) went to 3 at 602,3sec & pitch and roll (red & green) abruptly change at 602,7sec (where I have placed the chart marker in the chart). Right there the erroneous backwards speed increases (black).

So it's easy to see that the ending stick commands came as a result of the unexpected AC behavior & wasn't the cause for the movement that crashed the AC ... the ending full positive aileron command (purple dashed) certainly contributed, but the AC had crashed anyway.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
1640813078151.png

Yes, they might do that ... the cause was the dropping GPS level making the GPS sending erroneous positional data indicating a backwards movement to the flight controller. That the movement was false could have been confirmed by the gyro, which also feed in data to the flight controller ... but the flight controller went with the wrong positional data & commanded a counteracting forward motion to hold the position.

So yeah ... they might, especially if you point it out in the communication with them.

That was not the case ... the elevator & aileron stick commands that's seen in the end of the log came in panic 0,5sec before the crash (which happens at 604,1sec).

Here below you see the elevator (yellow dashed) & aileron (purple dashed) ... neutral have value 1024. The first stick input came at 603,6sec ... the GPS level (magenta) went to 3 at 602,3sec & pitch and roll (red & green) abruptly change at 602,7sec (where I have placed the chart marker in the chart). Right there the erroneous backwards speed increases (black).

So it's easy to see that the ending stick commands came as a result of the unexpected AC behavior & wasn't the cause for the movement that crashed the AC ... the ending full positive aileron command (purple dashed) certainly contributed, but the AC had crashed anyway.
Ah. The video is very hard to see, so that makes sense.

Reactions: MS Coast
I would put it down to GPS glitch as you say you was indoors, same thing happens to Garmin devices, gps signal always on the move indoors causing errors..

I understand one of the reasons is if an aircraft. is in your area you wouldn't have seen it .
At which point we must land.
So it's things like that. Plus if a low flying see's your aircraft and reported no one was in attendance outside . It can be used to more regulate this hobby.
We don't need more black eyes.
Just a thought is all.

Ok, I'll step in on this one. As I've stated before on this forum, I've been an FAA licensed private pilot and have been flying since the 1970's. Flying low (1000 ft agl, and 500 feet over unpopulated areas) is something that a majority of pilots do with an extreme abundance of caution, if ever. I can count on maybe 2 or 3 fingers the times I have flown legally to minimum altitudes when not in takeoff or landing configuration over the last nearly 50 years. It's a frightening proposition for even a private pilot (the only ones who would regularly fly at such low altitudes, other than ag tractor pilots or maybe the sport pilots) to fly that low and when we are doing it, our speed over ground is much closer to 100mph, which is about the speed we need to fly to keep the airplane actually in the air. While situational awareness is paramount for all pilots, I can assure you that at that speed, we are not really going to key in on a tiny drone or its operator somewhere on the ground, let alone gather enough information to report it. Now, if you're flying higher than 400 feet and I'm at 500 feet and I spot it, I will probable circle around and try to locate the operator. But if we all follow the rules (regulations/laws) all should be good. Private pilots are not the Drone police, unless of course drones endanger the safety of larger aircraft. I'm having a blast with my DJI drones (Mavic Mini, Mini 2, Air 2S and Mavic 3) and hope to fly in airspace which has always been off limits to private pilots and above! The low altitude is an amazingly interesting space and I see myself flying drones to my very last breath!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I synced the video with the data:

As others have explained, the GPS signal (and satellite count) drops momentarily and the drone suddenly thinks it's some meters away from the actual location (see top right map). It tries to compensate for that by moving in the opposite direction.

Reactions: Andrew41
I synced the video with the data:

As others have explained, the GPS signal (and satellite count) drops momentarily and the drone suddenly thinks it's some meters away from the actual location (see top right map). It tries to compensate for that by moving in the opposite direction.
What software did you use for the overlay placement? I'd like to try it!

Reactions: 0Kajuna0
Ok, I'll step in on this one. As I've stated before on this forum, I've been an FAA licensed private pilot and have been flying since the 1970's. Flying low (1000 ft agl, and 500 feet over unpopulated areas) is something that a majority of pilots do with an extreme abundance of caution, if ever. I can count on maybe 2 or 3 fingers the times I have flown legally to minimum altitudes when not in takeoff or landing configuration over the last nearly 50 years. It's a frightening proposition for even a private pilot (the only ones who would regularly fly at such low altitudes, other than ag tractor pilots or maybe the sport pilots) to fly that low and when we are doing it, our speed over ground is much closer to 100mph, which is about the speed we need to fly to keep the airplane actually in the air. While situational awareness is paramount for all pilots, I can assure you that at that speed, we are not really going to key in on a tiny drone or its operator somewhere on the ground, let alone gather enough information to report it. Now, if you're flying higher than 400 feet and I'm at 500 feet and I spot it, I will probable circle around and try to locate the operator. But if we all follow the rules (regulations/laws) all should be good. Private pilots are not the Drone police, unless of course drones endanger the safety of larger aircraft. I'm having a blast with my DJI drones (Mavic Mini, Mini 2, Air 2S and Mavic 3) and hope to fly in airspace which has always been off limits to private pilots and above! The low altitude is an amazingly interesting space and I see myself flying drones to my very last breath!!
Ok we have a paramotor that flys very low around where I live.
And as you know he goes very slowly. My ultra light top speed was 45 mph but could reach terminal velocity if it fell apart.We did have a airplane that loved to so to speak buzz the river I live by at tree level. Which is not legal.
Not every pilot follows the rules.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karajovic