DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my Mavic Mini, is it still safe to fly?

Eminka

Reactions
Hello Mavic People,
I just crashed my magic while I was doing an indoor shoot, and I think there was interference with the drone while I was flying as it wasn't reacting properly (it was increasing altitude, not staying still etc...).

Anyways, I tried to do a sideways shot but the drone started turning and going backwards on its own and crashed against a wall without the prop guards. It fell about 1.5meters and one of the back legs is cracked slightly. However, it is still holding on pretty solidly and I tried to take off the drone to see if the flying capabilities were impacted.

There seems to be no issue with the flying as it is reacting properly, the only problem is that when the properlars start they touch the arm slightly (just once as the speed increases) and then they don't touch anymore.
Do you think it is still safe to fly it this week as I am going on holiday, or would it be better to take it straight to the shop (I have insurance).

I joined two pictures.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
Oh no ... no more flying with that damage. Props & motors are crucial to keep your Mini airborne, if that crack becomes worse, which it will, the motor could break off completely & then it's game over.

The stresses of flying will make that arm flex and the crack open up more eventually leading to the failure of the motor mount.

You could epoxy it to stop it from getting any larger, ideally the arm should be replaced but I'm not sure the repair could be turned around in time.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Old Man Mavic stiffened the legs on his mini so wait till he chimes in...but I think a new leg is in the order..don't you?

If you really do not want to replace the leg, you can wrap fiber glass cloth around the the broken part and epoxy the fabric in place. Putting it in a vaccum bag will be better. However, you will need related skill and access to composite materials.

Last edited:
If you really do not want to replace the leg, you can wrap fiber glass cloth around the the broken part and epoxy the fabric in place. Putting it in a vaccum bag will be better. However, you will need related skill and access to composite materials.
You speak like you know about FRP.

Is this true?

Not calling you out, asking because I am a CCT (certified composite technician). Nice to know of another laminator on here.

Last edited:
Do you do Surfboard repair ?
Just joking , !! ?
I wish!

I'm going to start looking around now, I've been needing a change of pace.

...but right now I work for a very large boat company (been around just over 60 years). I am the "chop-gunner" for any hulls between 35 - 42 feet. It's a different job than any I've had before... I enjoy it, but it's definitely not for everyone. I spend most of my day about 25 feet in the air, standing on a spot the width of my foot, with nothing to hold me but the "boom". Yeah, it's "fun" lol

Yes. My experience with FRP mainly came from mending RC sailplanes made of composite materials

View attachment 111393
THIS... This is the Industry I NEEEEEEED to get in to.

That, or SpaceX working with Carbon Fiber.

I'm tired of building boats, working with "old-school" laminators, unwilling to hear younger people's opinions. Sorry for the personal rant, but I appreciate your response because I started working with FRP building boats, always knew about surfboards, Corvettes, and SpaceX, but never thought about Sailplanes and especially RC ones at that.

The building I work in is roughly 10,000 square feet. On a typical day, there are about 60 people working in my building, out of 1100 total (not including the 15 "bay leaders" (me) and the 10 supervisors :rolleyes:), 10 "chopper guns" running in 6 bays, 60 "small parts" (doors, livewell lids, livewell, console liners, etc), six 11' - 17' boats, four 19' - 28' boats, and three 30' - 42' boats (the term "boat" means hull and liner combo, then flipped and "closed" with an FRP "weld" to keep the foam inside), between 2-5 decks, and finally, 4-7 hardtops, headliners, and v-berths. This is a 4 day "marathon" I like to call it. My day starts at 4:30am and usually ends around 5:30pm. I get home, shower, eat dinner, take a sunset panorama, maybe edit it, and go to bed around 10. It's nuts, but I kinda enjoy it.

Probably a lot of nonsensical information, that nobody cares to hear or read, but if you found it interesting... go get you a job as a Hull laminator at your nearest boat building facility... If it sound insane, well yeah, Welcome to my world lol. Hence the reason I'm ready for change.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121