DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my Mavic Pro, developing a real protective cover

I have done simulations, and live tests. The structure of the Stingray does effectively negate the force of impact. I will be focusing on recording and documenting this fact in the next phase. I am also thinking about adding an extra silicone layer to maximize the retention of force sustained in a crash.

Man that does look so much like a Stingray! I love it! So streamlined and stealthy. Its great when design engineering mimic's nature!

Man that does look so much like a Stingray! I love it! So streamlined and stealthy. Its great when design engineering mimic's nature!

Thank you BDOG! I agree nature is such an ideal inspiration for all forms of design.
I will post pictures of the actual, finished prototype soon!

Reactions: BD0G
Why not incorporate some nubs that are pointed down or at an angle in the front that one can screw in breakaway 3 D printed appendages that will wrap around the outside of the gimbal in a semi circle? With proper clearance for the gimbal to rotate and camera not pick them up when rotating on all of its X, Y, axis's. These arms would be consumables and take the brunt of the force exhibited towards the gimbal during a crash.

They would make a great add on purchase and could use a notched interlock with a screw hole through the center.

Send me the .stl file so I can print one. :) With an NDA or form to indicate I will not market or sell such a product.

Gimbal seems to be the most damaged part of most crashed Mavics. Ive been itching to come up with a solution for safeguarding it, but its just almost impossible The gimbal itself is just so delicate, any moderate/major impact (even to a surrounding area) can damage it. Mine malfunctioned a couple of times just from a car ride (though i must confess i didn't have the little plastic guard placed)

As far as my own experience with crashes, here is my design for a new protective cover that i have been working on. I am calling it Stingray. I have already done some prototype 3d prints and so far so good. Ide love to hear the Mavic community's feedback on it.

View attachment 55826
I say, more power to you Stingray! Anything that might help is better than nothing. I know they make some float devices you can put on the Mavic pro for landing in water, and I actually saw footage where that worked, but like you say, that won't help if your upside down. Maybe even something made from Rhino Lining, which has a bit of give to it? The only other idea I can think of might be some kind of parachutte that deploys somehow. Maybe you could have a remote switch to deploy it. At any rate, I still believe "necessity is the mother of invention", so keep it up. Marc.

Reactions: Stingray4mavic
Why not incorporate some nubs that are pointed down or at an angle in the front that one can screw in breakaway 3 D printed appendages that will wrap around the outside of the gimbal in a semi circle? With proper clearance for the gimbal to rotate and camera not pick them up when rotating on all of its X, Y, axis's. These arms would be consumables and take the brunt of the force exhibited towards the gimbal during a crash.

They would make a great add on purchase and could use a notched interlock with a screw hole through the center.

Send me the .stl file so I can print one. :) With an NDA or form to indicate I will not market or sell such a product.
Good thinking, BDOG! That could break a lot of the inertia, especially if it had some bounce to it. Marc.

Thank you BDOG! I agree nature is such an ideal inspiration for all forms of design.
I will post pictures of the actual, finished prototype soon!
Just for your protection, you might consider getting a patent on this if it works. Marc.

Hi everyone,

I am new here, and relatively new to using the Mavic Pro (just over several months)

I have been using the Mavic Pro to film and survey my clients' properties. I had one crash (not bad over dozens of flights) but that busted my drone really badly.

it flopped on its heads down straight into a concrete ground. I had the prop guards installed, so that saved me some damage. the main body and battery got badly damaged though. I looked online for some protective accessory options, but i can't find anything that would really protect the main body, battery, and etc.... I have seen the stickers and wraps, and even a thin silicone cover but they wouldn't have prevented the damage.

I have been tinkering around with a design for a protective cover for the Mavic Pros, and ide love your input.

Has anyone experienced similar crashes?
Under what conditions? Did you hit something or fly beyond transmitter connection? High wind? Under GPS control?

Make them in bright, hi-visibility colors, some highly reflective if possible, and you'll have a real winner. :)
Thank you for your suggestions! I agree... there will also be a special edition carbon fiber (fingers crossed)

BDOG, great minds.... u know the rest :) I am also working on something very similar to protect the gimbal as a modular attachment, and some other accessories. I am open to sending you the STL file once i am 100% satisfied with the prototype and cover legal bases (PM me, we can brainstorm?)

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard