DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my Mini, Need Help Analyzing Flight Data

... Could this be caused by the reported design flaw where at sport mode, it has been reported that the propellers hit the body of the Mini at a certain pitch?
In general I would say no ... props slightly hitting the fuselage would rather damage the props than cause electrical malfunction. But on the other hand ... props hitting the fuselage will induce vibrations which could cause electrical components to fail. Have never seen a case like that though ... the most prominent cause for lost thrust have so far been lost/damaged props.

Slup do you place any significance on the fact that all 4 motors have a precipitous drop in speed at 645?

Slup do you place any significance on the fact that all 4 motors have a precipitous drop in speed at 645?
No ... that's the FC trying to restore the AC balance. The FC sense by means of sensor outputs that the AC have started to pitch down, roll right & yaw CW uncommanded & start to command the motors to get out of that ... but the actions is doomed to fail as one motor doesn't execute. The FC confusion is seen as below repeatedly occurring messages in the DAT event log.

1605817136508.png

Last edited:
For what it may be worth, I was attempting to cushion the fall of the drone by pushing the sticks upwards but no dice.

Also, it appears that there is some minor issue on the Find My Drone data. The Mini has been missing for more than 20 hours as of this writing and in the Find My Drone map, it first said it was missing 10 hours yesterday and today, it says it has been missing for 9 hours. A countdown? And if so, to what?

Or, perhaps the Mini is now limping back home on its own ? ? ? Ah, wishful thinking ;)

In general I would say no ... props slightly hitting the fuselage would rather damage the props than cause electrical malfunction. But on the other hand ... props hitting the fuselage will induce vibrations which could cause electrical components to fail. Have never seen a case like that though ... the most prominent cause for lost thrust have so far been lost/damaged props.
There could be other similar cases but unreported though.

That is the value of this forum. We get to report and document all cases for the added information, consideration and safety of all the Members.

Some will have to sacrifice, damage, or lose their beloved drones along the way though ?

If the loss of my Mini contributes to the overall knowledge here, I am a bit placated and comforted :)

It is now Day 2 of the search and recover operations. No sign yet of the Mini.

The search continues ......

Find My Drone now says that the Mini's "Missing Duration" is now 53 minutes ?

I hope it is not a countdown to some self-destruct mechanism ???

It is now Day 2 of the search and recover operations. No sign yet of the Mini.

The search continues ......
How far are you searching?
At the height data ended and the speed and trajectory the drone was falling, it should only be about 25 metres nearly west from the point where data stopped (14.19074 121.07110).

How far are you searching?
At the height data ended and the speed and trajectory the drone was falling, it should only be about 25 metres nearly west from the point where data stopped (14.19074 121.07110).
Within a radius of 50 meters from the last coordinates in the Flight Data and what you posted here. We are a search party of 3 and one even reached the edge of the river to the west and bordered by the row of trees.

Grass here now is about 4-6 ft tall. Very thick and itchy too. Quite painstaking. Need to avoid some wolf snakes also that are very common here. It is possible that the Mini landed on the grass and then fell slowly down to the ground. So you really have to part the grasses very well considering the relatively small size of the Mini. I just take solace in the thought that the tall grasses should cushion the fall of the Mini and prevented any major damage. Fingers crossed on this.

What you see on the satellite is a pre-COVID shot when all the grasses were well trimmed, quite dry, and the mountain bike trails are relatively clear. Right now, the paths and trails have all disappeared.

Luckily the weather here the past 2 days has been sunny. The blistering heat just limits the search to 2-3 hours at a time. It would have been very bad, very muddy and worse if it rained.

Inputted the coordinates on Google map and went to that waypoint and then searched all around.

I still have my hopes up in finding it unless the Mini just decided to walk on its own and hide ?

Within a radius of 50 meters from the last coordinates in the Flight Data and what you posted here. We are a search party of 3 and one even reached the edge of the river to the west and bordered by the row of trees.

Grass here now is about 4-6 ft tall. Very thick and itchy too. Quite painstaking. Need to avoid some wolf snakes also that are very common here. It is possible that the Mini landed on the grass and then fell slowly down to the ground. So you really have to part the grasses very well considering the relatively small size of the Mini. I just take solace in the thought that the tall grasses should cushion the fall of the Mini and prevented any major damage. Fingers crossed on this.

What you see on the satellite is a pre-COVID shot when all the grasses were well trimmed, quite dry, and the mountain bike trails are relatively clear. Right now, the paths and trails have all disappeared.

Luckily the weather here the past 2 days has been sunny. The blistering heat just limits the search to 2-3 hours at a time. It would have been very bad, very muddy and worse if it rained.

Inputted the coordinates on Google map and went to that waypoint and then searched all around.

I still have my hopes up in finding it unless the Mini just decided to walk on its own and hide
As much as I love my drones, nothing could persuade me to search snake territory for them ?. I saw so many when visiting the Philippines with my Filipina wife. Best of luck!

As much as I love my drones, nothing could persuade me to search snake territory for them ?. I saw so many when visiting the Philippines with my Filipina wife. Best of luck!
No worries. Wolf snakes are docile, nocturnal, and mostly run away unless really cornered. I am in their territory so I need to respect them. Heck, once in a awhile we have residents here that call security because there is a wolf snake in their garage or backyard. Before this massive urban development, this area used to be fertile sugarcane land.

Well, the search continues ........ Thumbswayup ?

Reactions: Drone Views Media
I had a similar situation a few months ago and it was a "Propulsion Error" so it was replaced under warranty. There was no obvious reason why it happened but all the motors stopped. It looked OK physically and all props were OK but clearly something inside went wrong and they did not repair it - may have been sent for refurbishing? It took a long time to get it sorted out - the process is slow and a bit confusing at times. The people in this group were an INCREDIBLE support! Good luck.

Last edited:
Can you get another drone and fly a pattern taking overlapping photos (software is out there)? Then analyze them to find the precise point.

Can you get another drone and fly a pattern taking overlapping photos (software is out there)? Then analyze them to find the precise point.
No amount of analysis is going to see through Grass here now is about 4-6 ft tall.

I had a similar situation a few months ago and it was a "Propulsion Error" so it was replaced under warranty. There was no obvious reason why it happened but all the motors stopped. It looked OK physically and all props were OK but clearly something inside went wrong and they did not repair it - may have been sent for refurbishing? It took a long time to get it sorted out - the process is slow and a bit confusing at times. The people in this group were an INCREDIBLE support! Good luck.
I agree. Support in this forum has been incredible especially in analyzing the flight data.

I already sent the flight data (.TXT and .DAT) files to the official DJI distributor here where I got the Mini. I even sent them a link to this thread ? They are also asking if I can retrieve the drone and I told them that I am still searching for this. Last email I got from them is that they will open a case file on this. Hope this gets resolved favorably.

Right now, the search continues and I already asked some local hands here to help.

Still hoping I can recover the Mini :)

Last edited:
I did consider that but it appears that I am the only one who is flying a drone here. It could help pinpoint and narrow down the search are some more.

Unfortunately, there are not too many drone pilots in this area. The only other person I know who has a drone and lives in the same village sold his Phantom more than a year ago.

In fact, I have not really heard of any other drone flying here.

• Angry
Reactions: Shabby
No amount of analysis is going to see through Grass here now is about 4-6 ft tall.
True. But it could help the party on the ground narrow the search area further and use the drone overhead as a reference point.

But yes, with grasses this tall, it will be difficult to locate the Mini.

I made a warranty claim with the official DJI dealer where I bought the Mini.

They communicated with DJI Technical (probably based in China) and after 3 days, DJI responded and I am posting the initial reply for the information of all who may be interested or might find themselves in the same situation:

"Dear Dealer,​
Please provide the following information and data:​
Information​
l Date and time of the incident:​
l Email address associated with customer’s DJI Account he/she used for his/her last flight:​
l Description of how the incident happened and what customer tried to control it:​
l Incident location:​
Data​
l Flight Records​
Please sync customer’s flight records to the DJI server. If customer fails to sync his/her flight records to the cloud, please send us the flight record's txt files on his/her mobile device (“FlightRecords” folder).​
l Cached Video​
Please export the cached video to us if customer was recording a video when the incident happened.​
Attn.:​
1. Please share above data with us via Google Drive or Dropbox. Please do not encrypt the link.​
2. Kindly submit all the required data at one time, otherwise it will waste your precious time to ask you repeatedly.​
Thank you very much for your cooperation and support.​
Best Regards,​
DJI Technical Support"​

I already sent the dealer all the information above and they will, in turn, correspond with DJI Technical on my behalf.

Let's see how this progresses.

Just an update.

The dealer emailed me and shared this message from DJI:

"Dear Dealer,
Thanks for your patience.
This is Hulda from the data analysis team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.
The unfortunate incident that occurred to your aircraft has been confirmed as a warranty case according to our data analysis. (emphasis supplied)
If the aircraft cannot be recovered, we would like to offer the customer a replacement, Mavic Mini aircraft (without the remote controller and battery charger). If you have the aircraft in stock, please offer the discount to the customer to purchase the aircraft, then contact DJI representatives for the related credit. If not, please kindly send us the following information so that we can send you a quotation with the 100% off discount xxx"

I already talked to the dealer and instructed them to send my brand new replacement MM to their shop. In the alternative, I asked the dealer if the value of the MM can instead be used as credit for the purchase of a new Mavic Air 2.

The great and incisive analysis here gave me the confidence to make a warranty claim.

It will take sometime for the new Mini (or other replacement Mavic ?) to get back here and until then, I will just have to contain my itchy trigger Ocusync, I mean WiFi Controller, fingers ? ;) Thumbswayup

Got it. Replayed the flight and here are some details:

Battery - 51% 10'27"
Alert: "Motor unable to rotate. Check for objects blocking motor or contact DJI Support for assistance"
Height: 167 meters
Distance: 781 meters
S Mode
In Flight
GPS satellites - 16

Last messages were:
"Max power l...ith caution" then "RC not conn ... obile device"
This is the same thing happened to my mini 2 .First motor unable to rotate message then max power message and fell.I used only 3 days after umbox

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair