DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crib sheets during the 107 test?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I was wondering, when you go to take the Part 107 air knowledge test, do they allow you to bring notes? Or do you have to just go by memory? While it may be important to read air maps (a large part of the test, I understand) and read METAR reports, there is a lot to have to memorize.

And something that I haven't seen mentioned... Is the test done on a computer or pencil and paper?

It’s on a computer, and you aren’t even allowed to bring your own *pencils*, let alone notes.

It’s on a computer, and you aren’t even allowed to bring your own *pencils*, let alone notes.

Good to know. I guess I just have to study more until my old, over-saturated brain can absorb the material. The hardest part for me is understanding all the symbols on a sectional air map- and even harder to retain what I learn. My eyes hurt from all the small light lettering. I don't suppose they have a geriatric version :0 ? o_O

Thanks

There is also (or at least was where I took my test) a booklet with the maps and legends for the test questions.

Reactions: dawgpilot
There is also (or at least was where I took my test) a booklet with the maps and legends for the test questions.

I wouldn’t call that a “crib sheet.” It’s the sectional charts and diagrams for the questions on the computer.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I wouldn’t call that a “crib sheet.” It’s the sectional charts and diagrams for the questions on the computer.
Never said it was a crib sheet just a booklet with the maps and legends for the test questions

Reactions: Ex Coelis
This is the Airman Knowledge Test Supplement booklet that is used during your test. This booklet is available for download from the FAA website.

On the test, you'll get a question like, "refer to figure 25, area 4, what airspace is the airport Addison in?" So you turn to the page with figure 25 to use to answer the question.

Attachments

• 20200719_205302.jpg
    20200719_205302.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 28
They do allow a magnifying glass and a plain calculator. But I had to leave my wallet, keys, and phone in a bin they locked up during the exam.

X2...I brought a magnifying glass and it wasn't an issue. Those sectionals can be really crammed with info. They supplied blank paper, pencils, a calculator (very simple one) and the supplement book.

When I was doing CBT training 11 years ago there was a bunch of guys from the middle east training also...we were told they would get one guy to do the exam first and he would fail dismally.. then the next day the 30 others would do the exam and all pass...the instructors worked out that the first guy had a hidden camera in his glasses and filmed the entire test....
creative buggers..?

When I was doing CBT training 11 years ago there was a bunch of guys from the middle east training also...we were told they would get one guy to do the exam first and he would fail dismally.. then the next day the 30 others would do the exam and all pass...the instructors worked out that the first guy had a hidden camera in his glasses and filmed the entire test....
creative buggers..?
That same thing has happened in FAA tests which is why they’re so particular about what you can and can’t bring in.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
You’ll do great! No need to see if you can complete the test in record time. You are given 2 hours on the initial and 1.5 hours on the recurrent. Use that whole time if you wish. You will do fine. Just read each question and try to visualize the answer before looking at the answer choices. The booklet is your best friend for maybe half the test questions. Study as many samples as you can find in the www. Almost everything out there is on one iteration or another of the test. Learn how to read METAR.
. You will be allowed to have a magnifying glass. If you need a calculator, it will be provided. For maps, learn how to read the grids. Practice the airspace classes, learn to measure distances (use the paper and pencil to mark tick marks on the paper form the legend on the page in question, then measure with the paper. Those thick blue lines that criss cross a whole page, use the Sectional legend. Flying an airplane is same as driving a car, pilot on left, upwind, downwind. Basic runway/taxi markings. Weather, cold v warm front, air density, temperatures. Load impact on flying. Do not be in a rush to take the test. Satisfy your study needs first. Sample test are available everywhere in written or video form.
I have faith in you and all others. You can do it!

no notes..but what you can do that has always worked for me is to last minute study things like airspace, and rules.. etc. in your car when you get to the test facility....then when you get into the facility with the minimum equiptment that you are allowed ..write down every thing that you can think of on your blank sheet of paper. That is perfectly legal and it's nearly as helpful as bringing in notes.
Be aware that the FAA loves to use answers that sound exactly like the correct answer except for one or two words. If you have been studying test questions, it's easy to jump on those answers. Most import of all RFQ! You know what that means...do it.
Good luck I'm sure you'll ace it :)

Reactions: pelagic_one
I was wondering, when you go to take the Part 107 air knowledge test, do they allow you to bring notes? Or do you have to just go by memory? While it may be important to read air maps (a large part of the test, I understand) and read METAR reports, there is a lot to have to memorize.

And something that I haven't seen mentioned... Is the test done on a computer or pencil and paper?
If it makes you feel any better, air traffic controllers have to know everything you see on those charts...fix names, mileages between points, airways and radials, frequencies, three letter identifiers, airspace altitudes and types, etc. And that goes for low altitude, which is what the sectional chart is, along with high and in some instances ultra-high altitude charts. And you have to draw it all from memory with no mistakes. My brain hurts just trying to recall of that info. ? ? ?

Reactions: MavicPeter
If it makes you feel any better, air traffic controllers have to know everything you see on those charts...fix names, mileages between points, airways and radials, frequencies, three letter identifiers, airspace altitudes and types, etc. And that goes for low altitude, which is what the sectional chart is, along with high and in some instances ultra-high altitude charts. And you have to draw it all from memory with no mistakes. My brain hurts just trying to recall of that info. ? ? ?

I've been staring a lot at sectionals and yes... it all hurts the brain. And while I realize why ATC pros need to know all this because many people's lives are in their hands, it's pretty all encompassing. Probably the most confusing is where there are overlapping air spaces. Right now I was looking at the ORD sectional. In the Class B space is a cutout where there is Class D airspace around Deerfield Il. . I see that it is showing a building at 854 feet right in the middle of that space, I know the area but I cannot think of a single structure that would be higher than 20 stories or 200 feet and could not find one on the standard satellite map. Obviously a few buildings in Chicago have nearly 100 stories so the height markings do make sense there...

... But if I can draw your attention to Chicago, the markings on the lake, just under the 100/30 floor-ceiling indicator about 50% down in the image, what is the significance of two numbers, one regular number 1267 and one in parenthesis (677)? I know that when calculating MEF's then allow for error plus obstacle allowance. Is the larger number a result of the actual obstacle + error+ allowance?

Also, while all the solid blue indicates Class B space, can I assume that the inner circle is the initial 5 mile radius from the airport has restricted space from the SFC to 10,000ft, but outside that inner circule the floor is 1900 ft, thus allowable for drone flight without authorization? In other words, is everything (unless otherwise marked) Undernearth the next higher "layer" of the upside down cake Class E space (indicated by 100/19)?

ORD_sectionalMap.JPG

I've been staring a lot at sectionals and yes... it all hurts the brain. And while I realize why ATC pros need to know all this because many people's lives are in their hands, it's pretty all encompassing. Probably the most confusing is where there are overlapping air spaces. Right now I was looking at the ORD sectional. In the Class B space is a cutout where there is Class D airspace around Deerfield Il. . I see that it is showing a building at 854 feet right in the middle of that space, I know the area but I cannot think of a single structure that would be higher than 20 stories or 200 feet and could not find one on the standard satellite map. Obviously a few buildings in Chicago have nearly 100 stories so the height markings do make sense there...

You misread the sectional. 854 ft is not in parenthesis and is MSL, not AGL. The building is 206 ft tall, and is the Western Hotel:

IMG_C265BC5080A1-1.jpeg

grab169.jpg

... But if I can draw your attention to Chicago, the markings on the lake, just under the 100/30 floor-ceiling indicator about 50% down in the image, what is the significance of two numbers, one regular number 1267 and one in parenthesis (677)? I know that when calculating MEF's then allow for error plus obstacle allowance. Is the larger number a result of the actual obstacle + error+ allowance?

That's the tall tower shown below. The first figure, 1267 is the height MSL, while the figure in parenthesis, 600, is the height of the building AGL.

1595869928166.png

Also, while all the solid blue indicates Class B space, can I assume that the inner circle is the initial 5 mile radius from the airport has restricted space from the SFC to 10,000ft, but outside that inner circule the floor is 1900 ft, thus allowable for drone flight without authorization? In other words, is everything (unless otherwise marked) Undernearth the next higher "layer" of the upside down cake Class E space (indicated by 100/19)?

The inner is 5 or 6 NM, depending on direction, and surface to 10000 (100/SFC). The next ring is 1900 to 10000 (100/19) and is Class G below the shelf so yes - you can fly there.

IMG_506018404055-1.jpeg

The inner is 5 or 6 NM, depending on direction, and surface to 10000 (100/SFC). The next ring is 1900 to 10000 (100/19) and is Class G below the shelf so yes - you can fly there.

Class G below 700' AGL, right?

The whole area is encompassed within a magenta Class E airspace beginning at 700' AGL. That area of the shelf you're referring to is Class G from surface to 700' AGL, then Class E from 700' to 1,900', then Class B from 1,900' to 10,000'. Correct?

Your answer is still correct though with flying up to the allowed 400' AGL.

Class G below 700' AGL, right?

The whole area is encompassed within a magenta Class E airspace beginning at 700' AGL. That area of the shelf you're referring to is Class G from surface to 700' AGL, then Class E from 700' to 1,900', then Class B from 1,900' to 10,000'. Correct?

Your answer is still correct though with flying up to the allowed 400' AGL.

Correct.

Reactions: samt2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jigjjihhwohekjgh2857